Page 168 of 169 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169 LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 2523

Re: Folding Frogs Crap thread!

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post
    Don't know; a cold boot with that kind of a reaction to your problem is a novelty to me.
    [Edit]: a 950W power supply should be more than sufficient for a dual GPU system.
    Have you been able to check 'load' temps of your GPU's yet?
    This can be done with f.e. GPU-Z (free software); guaranteed latest version here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_gpuz/
    It has a Tab with the sensor outputs, even with graphs+history which you can verify after shutdown of the graphic 'action'.
    Check the 'unloaded' temps as a reference and then the temps under 'load' ...
    Hope this can shed some light on what's happening.
    Could be you are just teetering on the edge of over-temp (for 100% F@H stability) in which case 1 or 2 degrees less ambient temperature can make the difference between OK and Fail ...
    ;-)
    Currently using MSI afterburner for OC'ing/temp monitoring. Fans have always been set to 100%, temps are in the 70-80C range depending on the GPU (position in the system is causing the second GPU to run a bit hotter). I don't think temps are the culprit, as they haven't really increased since my issues were starting.

FWIW: the behavior has been pretty steady and returned to what I was seeing prior to the issues. On the one hand thats good, on the other I still don't know how to fix it if it starts acting up again. I've been running the second GPU all afternoon so far with no GPU recovers, but that doesn't mean too much.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

It has been known, in the past, that some series of WU's are defective in their setup and will crash on about any system.
    If it isn't persistent and you are sure your Voltages and Temps are within safe range, you might have to wait a while longer before drawing a conclusion.
    Have you checked the Stanford Forums for reports on the same series of WU's (or single Wu's) your GPu's were crashing on?
    These are a nearly 100% proof indicator of the cause of your troubles if more than one other Folder makes a report of the same issues ...
    P.S.: if nothing has changed, they used to let your GPU try the same WU again (2x) before sending out a new one ...
    Last edited by noorman; 09-01-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo correction

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

It has been known, in the past, that some series of WU's are defective in their setup and will crash on about any system.
    If it isn't persistent and you are sure your Voltages and Temps are within safe range, you might have to wait a while longer before drawing a conclusion.
    Have you checked the Stanford Forums for reports on the same series of WU's (or single Wu's) your GPu's were crashing on?
    These are a nearly 100% proof indicator of the cause of your troubles if more than one other Folder makes a report of the same issues ...
    P.S.: if nothing has changed, they used to let your GPU try the same WU again (2x) before sending out a new one ...
    It was happening on a couple different projects (8900 & 7811) so i think I can rule out a specific rash of bad WU assignments. It is definitely very strange, but it does seem a cold boot fixed what a reboot did not

Trust me, I do science

You still might check the Stanford Forums for reports on similar trouble; might be something to do with the GPU drivers or even the special PhysX System Software which plays a large part in F@H to my knowledge ...
    The latest drivers (WHQL certified) are 320.49 - WHQL and its PhysX software version is 9.13.0604, according to the nVidia/Geforce website. (all latest versions of Windows).
    The previous WHQL cert. drivers included PhysX softw. version 9.12.1031 (f.e.) / So that one was updated too ...
    [Edit]: That one was unchanged from the driver before that one!
    I checked the Stanford Forums regularly for info on WU's, drivers, Servers, etc..

Oops, realized my mistake; a 7970 isn't a nVidia GPU card, of course ... (always have been a Nvidia user for F@H)
    So, scrap the previous post
    You might then check on GPU driver issues with dual GPu card setup (AMD/ATI Radeon) ;-))

Have you got a case fan to help to cool down its innerds and by doing that to cool down the ambient (inlet) air temp of your GPU cards?
    Airflow is everything in F@H HW setups.
    Putting in cool air is preferred (make a positive air pressure in the case to get in cooler air that can then flush the hot air of the GPU cards. (2 cards - same models - need twice the air flow to cool them down)
    A cooler HW component/part is always the more reliable, stable and longer living component/part!
    Always overdo it on cooling and you 'll be alright

Good luck with keeping the gremlins out of your F@H gear
    Last edited by noorman; 09-02-2013 at 01:29 AM. Reason: additional txt

My dedicated linux box crashed, and I'm not home for the restart

Lightbulb Re: Folding Frogs Crap thread!

Try installing this on your Linux box: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/logmein...nux-computers/
    My son uses it's Windows equivalent to rescue friend's computers remotely.
    It has the capability to remotely reboot a PC on which it is installed ...
    Not a rescue for you today, but it could be the solution in the future !

(Alternatives: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-logme...atives-ubuntu/ ) (see Team Viewer)

Hope this helps you out for the future

Greetz, Eric
    Last edited by noorman; 10-07-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Well, I think I'm about to give up here on my GPU's for the time being. I'm prepping a total system rebuild to be complete within the next couple days. Over the last 24-48 hours they've become very unstable, with VPU recovers occuring ever 2-3 hours at most, and occasional full system restarts while I'm away. I think maybe I could eke out another WU or two before I take the rig down for good. I'm hoping that the new motherboard and windows install will give me a clean slate to bring them back up and humming properly. Its hard to tell if the issues are hardware, driver, or WU related. In the meantime, it looks like Dok will make up even more ground than he already is... though I should come back up still in the lead

Trust me, I do science

Are you sure about the PSU of that (problem) rig? That is the basis for any stable system and if it were 'off' by a little bit on one or more of its main Voltage rails, it will never be stable ...
    Folding is an extreme thing for any computer(part).
    2) Are you 100% on the Cooling of the major parts?

Are you sure about the PSU of that (problem) rig? That is the basis for any stable system and if it were 'off' by a little bit on one or more of its main Voltage rails, it will never be stable ...
    Folding is an extreme thing for any computer(part).
    2) Are you 100% on the Cooling of the major parts?
    Rails looks stable, the psu is only 1 year old (corsair TX950). I'm 100% on the cooling. GPU temps are well within limits and I've got the fans going high on those cards so VRMs should be well taken care of as well.

Things I'm not 100% on: this motherboard and my current windows install. Its time to replace both and I will be doing so in the next day or so.

Trust me, I do science

Indeed, motherboard is another possibility because of the many sub-regulators on it, like the CPU Voltage reg., memory voltage reg. and others ...
    Good luck with the swap and the re-install

Hi, have you fixed the problem meanwhile and how?
    I 'm just curious

Hi, have you fixed the problem meanwhile and how?
    I 'm just curious
    I re-built my rig (new CPU, motherboard and windows install) and the problems disappeared. I think it was most likely my windows install being past its shelf life and some driver conflicts or something.

Trust me, I do science

Which Windows flavor did you have installed and which one did you use for the re-install ... ?
    I know from reports by my son and daughter-in-law that Windows 8 is better (and lighter) than Windows 7.
    It stresses the hardware less than Win7. Think it 's more stable than WinXP too.
    She was in a position to buy Win8 cheaply and has several licenses. They 're all using it at their home now, even their youngest on his new (2nd hand) mini-laptop.
    Last edited by noorman; 01-22-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Which Windows flavor did you have installed and which one did you use for the re-install ... ?
    I know from reports by my son and daughter-in-law that Windows 8 is better (and lighter) than Windows 7.
    It stresses the hardware less than Win7. Think it 's more stable than WinXP too.
    She was in a position to buy Win8 cheaply and has several licenses. They 're all using it at their home now, even their youngest on his new (2nd hand) mini-laptop.
    Windows 7. I can't stand windows 8 and the new GUI

Trust me, I do science