Page 167 of 169 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169 LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 2523

Re: Folding Frogs Crap thread!

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Back home...

Restarted both rigs, looks like my dedicated linux box doesn't like having teamviewer open all the time. It crashes folding and the minecraft server i was hosting for Zman.
    SSH EVERYTHING....

my 970 rig as been sitting here spinning its wheels for the last 5 or 6 days I noticed I was way down on units going up so i hooked up the monitor for the first time in months and it had clearly had some kind of error. Had to blow away the work file and that got it going again, but in the meantime I've lost several hundred thousand points

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Was wondering what was going on with your points the last few days.
    Glad to see you got it all going again.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPPER View Post
    Was wondering what was going on with your points the last few days.
    Glad to see you got it all going again.
    yea, I basically run that rig headless 99.9% of the time. I remarked to mmettin the other day that it had been going for at least 6-7 months without even having a monitor attached and the only reason I knew it was still going was the fact that I saw the units dropping on schedule. Too lazy to install monitoring software on it

Trust me, I do science

Getting too toasty in my office to run the 970 and the OC'd 950 at the same time. The 950 PPD/W/degC/$/etc is hard to justify when the office is 90F, so I shut folding off in favor of the 970. Maybe the heat alone is enough to justify an SB/IB rig.. X58 isn't exactly a power miser

Trust me, I do science

Haven't posted a "CRAP!" moment in a little while. My main rig's PSU exploded, so I had to do a PSU transplant out of my 970 rig. I really don't want to fold 24/7 with the 950 rig on the 430W corsair builder's series PSU, since the rig consumes noticeably more power than the 970 due to the larger number of peripherals and the big GPU. So both my rigs have been down for a week at this point. Hopefully I get my PSU back from RMA quickly.. I don't like having a 0 ppd average

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Haven't posted a "CRAP!" moment in a little while. My main rig's PSU exploded, so I had to do a PSU transplant out of my 970 rig. I really don't want to fold 24/7 with the 950 rig on the 430W corsair builder's series PSU, since the rig consumes noticeably more power than the 970 due to the larger number of peripherals and the big GPU. So both my rigs have been down for a week at this point. Hopefully I get my PSU back from RMA quickly.. I don't like having a 0 ppd average
    back online. hoping to get my OC cranked up again so my output will return to some semblance of normalcy

Trust me, I do science

Well it got hot here in a hurry, up in the 80's after a very chilly march. I knocked my secondary rig offline for the time being. I'll get it back up when the weather cools back off a bit, after which point i'll get the AC in to keep my office from becoming a sauna.

Trust me, I do science

Grrrr.

Not home, and it looks like my internet is down. (so I'm unable to remote in an restart things)

Losing production on both rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Grrrr.

Not home, and it looks like my internet is down. (so I'm unable to remote in an restart things)

Losing production on both rigs.
    Rough. I zero'd production on both machines while I'm out of town. The 970 rig w/ gtx 465 was whining like a banshee so I'm giving it a break and then i'll clean it out. I would have left the main rig running with the 7970 but I kep getting those horrible non-beta wu's giving me about 5k ppd. Not worth the electricity.

Trust me, I do science

GRRRR thats the second time in 48 hours I've had to blow away a WU. This V7 Client really doesn't like to be shut-down in the middle without stopping it manually. All I did was restart my rig and it never re-engaged the core. Tried restarting the client a dozen times, never wanted to actually start the damn core and chug. Blowing away the work unit seems to fix it, but its damn frustrating and a 20k point loss

Trust me, I do science

Having some weird issues with my GPU setup. Added a second 7970 a week or so ago and it was chugging along just fine with both GPU's running. Out of nowhere I've started to get VPU recovers, which kills F@H. I've tried reinstalling drivers, resetting my clocks to stock and things to no avail. Also getting some weird behavior where the second GPU's usage is pegged at 99% when its under any load, then drops to 0 when the load is off.. Its a little odd because F@H was only loading it up to ~97% and in games the GPU load was similar on both chips in CrossFire, but now the second chip is invariably loaded at 99% regardless of what the 1st GPU is doing. Its just weird because it happened out of nowhere. Might need to try driver cleaner. Frustrating because my production is going to be way down until I get this sorted

Trust me, I do science

Hey Activate: AMD, you should check on your system Voltages and on the GPU's temps before anything else.
    My teacher (Electronics) taught me that 'measuring is knowing' and that is still true and also 'an apparatus is only as good as (the quality of) its power supply' (a truth as big as a Monster truck)
    Those would be my first steps anyway (as an Electronics graduate with over 30 years experience)
    Hope this helps ...
    When you put in that extra GPU, you also put in an extra power-hungry piece of hardware (is my train of thought here) ...

I 'll check in much later today; have to go to my grandson's birthday party
    Last edited by noorman; 09-01-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: added some specification in the 2nd saying

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post
    Hey Activate: AMD, you should check on your system Voltages and on the GPU's temps before anything else.
    My teacher (Electronics) taught me that 'measuring is knowing' and that is still true and also 'an apparatus is only as good as (the quality of) its power supply' (a truth as big as a Monster truck)
    Those would be my first steps anyway (as an Electronics graduate with over 30 years experience)
    Hope this helps ...
    When you put in that extra GPU, you also put in an extra power-hungry piece of hardware (is my train of thought here) ...

I 'll check in much later today; have to go to my grandson's birthday party
    Yea, I suppose it could be that. I find it somewhat unlikely, I have a Corsair TX 950W PSU that has powered some similarly power hungry setups in the past with no issue.

Edit: after a hiccup (needed to replace the fuse on the multimeter), I can confirm that the voltages on the PSU are fine and stable under load with both GPU's running. Strangely, the 0% or 99% behavior on the second GPU has stopped and it is now working normally again. This was after a cold boot rather than a restart, I wonder if its related.
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 09-01-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Trust me, I do science

Don't know; a cold boot with that kind of a reaction to your problem is a novelty to me.
    [Edit]: a 950W power supply should be more than sufficient for a dual GPU system.
    Have you been able to check 'load' temps of your GPU's yet?
    This can be done with f.e. GPU-Z (free software); guaranteed latest version here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_gpuz/
    It has a Tab with the sensor outputs, even with graphs+history which you can verify after shutdown of the graphic 'action'.
    Check the 'unloaded' temps as a reference and then the temps under 'load' ...
    Hope this can shed some light on what's happening.
    Could be you are just teetering on the edge of over-temp (for 100% F@H stability) in which case 1 or 2 degrees less ambient temperature can make the difference between OK and Fail ...
    ;-)
    Last edited by noorman; 09-01-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.