Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    UPDATED. Added new problem on page2 about Nforce3 chipset and AGP compatibility. Credit for this goes to Wild Child. Thanks man!

Guide for Basic Overclocking of a Barton CPU, some good PC3200 RAM, and a Gigabyte Nforce2Ultra400 Motherboard.

Disclaimer: Overclocking is dangerous, and will almost always void your warranty. Only continue reading this guide if you are informed and ready to accept the risks that overclocking brings to yourself, your computer, and more importantly, your pet dog

You should basically beable to change the FSB 200 if you have good RAM, and all should be well. But...I wouldn't reccommend rushing in. If you REALLY want to try this, then at least set the CPU voltage to 1.7, (or overvolt it %5, PRO2 users, this is default for you), and then bump the FSB up. However, I seriously reccommend that you use the giude below.

First, some things to remember.

Get this:
    http://www.memtest.org/

and this:
    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

These two programs are the the lifeline of your computer overclock. They will indicate to you whether your current overclock is stable or not.

Go to the overclocking forum and check out the stickies. There is ALOT of good info there. If you are completely new to computers, you need to go there first.
    http://www.amdforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=4

1) Temperatures are *basically* the only thing that can truly hurt your system. Temperatures are affected by voltages, so everytime you raise the voltage, you raise the temperature. Keep an eye on your temps. For gigabyte mobos, the IDLE temp of your CPU (as read from the BIOS) should not go over 55C. The LOAD temp of your CPU should not go above about 62-63C. IMHO, 63C LOAD is pushing it a little

2) Don't freak out if your PC doesn't POST after you've changed some settings and rebooted. There are two things you can try.

A: Hit reset, and immediately hold down the insert button, this will force the PC to boot at the last stable settings. Then enter BIOS and change your settings.
    B: Clear your CMOS. This will ALWAYS work to get your computer to POST, that is, unless you fried something

3) At multipliers lower than 10, the Barton's then have problems with memory bandwidth. A multiplie of 10x, should be the lowest you should go, (unless of course benchmarks are higher at a higher FSB with lower multiplier).

4) Higher FSB is ALWAYS better than higher CPU multiplier. The basic idea of overclocking a Barton, is to try and continuously get to AMDXP3200+ settings, at a higher FSB. So first, we are going to try and reach 200x11=3200+, then 105.x210 = 3200+, and finally 10x220 = 3200+. And then further if you should so desire.

Okay, now, on to overclocking!!!!!

FIRST AND FOREMOST! Check your system for inherent instabilities by running memtest86 (all 11 tests), and Prime95 (The CPU intensive test), for 10 HOURS EACH! If your system passes these tests, it is safe to say that you are stable at stock settings.

NOTE: To access the advanced options in your bios menu:
    At the Main BIOS screen, hit "CTRL+F1". Your screen will flash momentarily, but nothing will have seemed to change. Now, when you enter some of the submenus, such as the "Advanced Chipset" submenu, there will be options that were not present before.

1) Bump the CPU multiplier down to 11, and set the "tRAS" to 11 if you have CAS2 RAM, or if you have CAS2.5 RAM set it to "10". Reboot. You are now running a 2500+ @333Mhz.[b] Make sure that all the BIOS settings are at expert, and that the RAM is set to 100%.

2) Bump the FSB to 185. NO Barton (as quoted form Hardocp), has had a problem running at 185FSB.

3) Then, up the FSB in 5 Mhz increments. Run Memtest86, ALL 7 tests after each increase, AND run Prime95 for at least 3 hours after each increase (Make sure prime95 is running the first torture test, the one which only stresses the CPU).

4) If prime95 fails, bump up the CORE voltage by one notch. At this point, your memory is not holding you back. The bartons are under warranty up to 1.71Volts.

5) If Memtest86+ fails, then you know that your memory is holding you back. Raise the VDIMM overvolt by one notch. Note: It is PERFECTLY OKAY to raise the VDIMM to the max allowable on Gigabyte boards. The max VDIMM is 2.8. I will personally guarantee that any stick of DDR 333 RAM can handle 3.0V. Also, corsair sticks are waranteed up to 2.9V. If your VDIMM volts are at max, and your still having RAM problems, raise the memory timings just a little bit. Ex: If you are not stable at 11-2-2-2.0, raise the timings to 11-2-3-2.0, and recheck for stability. then try 11-3-3-2.0, and so on.

6) Keep running those tests everytime you overclock until you get to 200FSB. Here's where it gets fun, because now you are gonna push the limits of the FSB.

7) 11x200 is the "plateau" so to speak of overclocking. If you get into windows at this point, stop, and really test out your PC for stability. This means run Prime95 for 20 Hours. Let it run while you sleep. If it passes 20 hours. YOU ARE STABLE @ 3200+!!!! YAY! (pre-congratulations, cause you WILL be stable there)
    Now, run memtest all ELEVEN tests. (You will again have to leave this running while you sleep)

After you have done this, take a deep breath, and marvel at the $250 you just saved yourself. Now we have reached that first plateau of 11x200=3200+, on to the next plateau, 10.5x210=3200+

8) If your default memtimings are 5-2-2-2.0 or X-2-2-2.0,
    when you are at 200Mhz, set the first number, the "tRAS" to "11". Your timings should now be: 11-2-2-2.0 or 11-x-x-x.0, depending on what your defaults are. It has been shown that a higher tRAS is actually faster for higher FSBs. 11 is optimal for 200Mhz. BUT, 10 will be optimal if you have X-3-3-2.5, or X-3-3-2.0 as memory timings.

okay, here's where it gets fun (remember to make sure that you're CPU temps are not idling over 52-53C!!)

9) You might as well go ahead an up the VDIMM voltage to 2.9 This will have NO ILL EFFECT ON YOUR RAM IF you have quality RAM!! Corsair RAM is Liftime warranteed up to 2.9V, and other High quality RAM can handle it no problem. I have yet to see a stick of RAM that cannot handle 2.9V. If you are uncomfortable doing this, don't change the RAM voltage until you see some RAM instability. It will not run much hotter, and it can only increase stability.

10) Bump DOWN the CPU multiplier to 10.5. Reboot, go into BIOS. up the FSB by 5Mhz. Go into windows, and Run Prime95 for 5-10hrs using the most intensive MEMORY test. Its the 3rd torture test option. If you want you can run the seven memtest tests as well. (I would probably run the memtest as well) If the test fails, raise the memtimings to 11-x-X+1-2.0

11) now you are running at 10.5x205. The goal here, is to get back to that 3200+ rating, by upping the FSB. So here, we are aiming for 10.5x210 = 2200Mhz. Here we go!! up that FSB to 210!! Go test it out in windows again by running PRIME95 and the third (default) torture test option, the memory test. yay! now you are at 210x10.5 = 3200+!!! You can run memtest if you wish as well.

12) Now, for the REAL fun...(NOTE: you probably don't have to worry about raising the Vcore here, as the CPU speed is not going above 3200+. Right now, we are concentrating on the RAM.)
    Bump the multiplier down to 10. Again, we are aiming for that 3200+ rating, so we are goin for: 220x10 = 2200Mhz!

13) At this point, your RAM might start requiring looser timings. Remember not to jump directly to 220FSB. you are goin to need to increase the FSB in small increments, like 3 FSB. If you want, you can up the CPU voltage to 1.7, or 1.725 JUST TO ENSURE YOUR CPU IS NOT CAUSING INSTABILITY.
    Now for the timings. The first number you want to bump up if your RAM is unstable is the one next to the CAS latency. That means, if you run at 11-2-2-2.0, and yoru RAM is unstable, try 11-2-3-2.0 first, (run PRIME95 for many hours again), and if that doesn't work, try: 11-3-3-2.0 (and run prime 95 somemore)

14) Keep trying to up that FSB until you get to 220, you can get there! (On some boards, the NB could be causing the instability, because it can't handle 220Mhz, but most gigabyte boards, can handle 220Mhz.) If it's the Northbridge, then better NB cooling might be in order. You may need higher NB voltage, in which case you are stuck, because there is no way to increase the NB voltage.

Good luck!! Phew...this was a long post. Keep pushing your system until PRIME95 fails after 10Hrs. When it fails, just put your system back to the last stable overclock you had. E-mail me or post back if you have more questions!!

Note: Here is a VERY good analysis, of RAM timings on an Athlon XP system:
    http://www.frazpc.pl/artykuly_wyswietl/212_en

-Vihsadas
    Last edited by Tigsman; 04-27-2004 at 05:35 PM.

UPDATED, see above post. Done at the request of posters in that thread. Copied from 3bciq2s' thread...
    Last edited by Vihsadas; 12-05-2003 at 03:10 PM.

UPDATED again
    Disclaimer added, and preoverclock stability warning...

SWEET UPDATE!

Very, very, very big thanks to tictac for posting a link to some of his modded Bioses!! There is a modded PRO2 BIOS for some of you d00ds! Try it and tell us what happens!

http://underclock.proboards20.com/in...918957&start=0

Setting the fsb to manual/166/100% is necessary if using 400mhz RAM. Setting the fsb to normal/166 allows for 400mhz but prevents system from booting. (Pro2/XP 2500+/400mhz DDR)
    Last edited by BigCrunch; 01-02-2004 at 05:34 AM.

I changed the dipswitches on my 7n400 pro2 to 11x...where would it show in the bios that it is at 11x.
    DFI nfII Ultra B
    amd mobile 2500
    Thermalright Sp-97
    2 x 512 geil golden dragon pc3500
    ATI 9700 pro
    Seagate sata 80gb

Originally posted by Blitz1029 on 01-05-2004 at 05:52 PM
    I changed the dipswitches on my 7n400 pro2 to 11x...where would it show in the bios that it is at 11x.
    I'm not sure if the Bios shows the multi or not on the PRO2. You can know for sure by writing down your FSB, and the clock speed that the computer displays on post.

Then use this equation:

Multiplier x FSB = clockspeed.

So if you are at say... 166FSB, with 1.83Ghz clock speed, then your multi is:

1833 = Multi x 166

Multi = 1833/166 = 11
    Multi = 11

fix for instability with geforce cards and problems with sblive cards

I own a 7VRXP motherboard (KT-333 based), a geforce 4 ti4400 and a sound blaster live, and used to experience random lockups while playing games as well as crackling sound. After quite a bit of searching around I came by a fix someone wrote, and have been using it for over a year now, with NO lockups whatsoever ever since. It seems not to be very well-known so I'm dropping this message here in case you guys aren't aware of it.

It's called "pci latency" patch, it's a driver that regulates pci latency and other stuff on VIA boards to make them more stable. It's not maintained anymore as far as I know but the latest version works fine (for me, at least). The URL:

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

a more detailed page dealing with that patch:

http://adsl.cutw.net/dlink-dsl200-via.html

Hope it helps.

in my pro2's bios it doesn't have an expert setting...it has manual, turbo, and normal. I've been using manual to change the fsb.

Re: fix for instability with geforce cards and problems with sblive cards

Originally posted by firelord on 01-06-2004 at 04:26 PM
    I own a 7VRXP motherboard (KT-333 based), a geforce 4 ti4400 and a sound blaster live, and used to experience random lockups while playing games as well as crackling sound. After quite a bit of searching around I came by a fix someone wrote, and have been using it for over a year now, with NO lockups whatsoever ever since. It seems not to be very well-known so I'm dropping this message here in case you guys aren't aware of it.

It's called "pci latency" patch, it's a driver that regulates pci latency and other stuff on VIA boards to make them more stable. It's not maintained anymore as far as I know but the latest version works fine (for me, at least). The URL:

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

a more detailed page dealing with that patch:

http://adsl.cutw.net/dlink-dsl200-via.html

Hope it helps.
    Hey, cool, thanks. I will add it. BTW, do you know if this patch only applies to the 7VRXP, or does it apply to all VIA based mobos?

Originally posted by Blitz1029 on 01-06-2004 at 11:14 PM
    in my pro2's bios it doesn't have an expert setting...it has manual, turbo, and normal. I've been using manual to change the fsb.
    yes. That's right, manual is the same thing as expert on my board. I'm not quite sure what this pertains to though. You asked about clock multiplier, not FSB.

Updated again. I think the numerous crackling sound problems that were experienced on some VIA boards, can be fixed with the update I supplied. It's on page 2!!

well looks like my xp 2600 is locked...i changed the dipswitches and it did not change the multiplier. I have an msi km4m-l which has a xp 2500 barton which maybe unlocked so im gonna pull it out of that and give it a try.
    DFI nfII Ultra B
    amd mobile 2500
    Thermalright Sp-97
    2 x 512 geil golden dragon pc3500
    ATI 9700 pro
    Seagate sata 80gb

Originally posted by Blitz1029 on 01-07-2004 at 05:03 AM
    well looks like my xp 2600 is locked...i changed the dipswitches and it did not change the multiplier. I have an msi km4m-l which has a xp 2500 barton which maybe unlocked so im gonna pull it out of that and give it a try.
    That's good that you know. And explains alot! If the chip is made after week 39, then chances are it's locked.