Question Philips DSS 350 USB Speaker Drivers needed

A friend of mine has some philips DSS 350 (says Model: DSS 350/00) USB speakers, he's running WinXP, but there don't seem to be any drivers for these things.

Anyone know of any 3rd party drivers? They have an external sound processor, and are capable of having sound input, but you have to search Philips high and low just to see that they (Philips) acknowledge these speakers exist.

Sound Input would be nice to have.

Well I couldn't find anything that refers directly to the speakers you mention at the Phillips site. Weird!

Let's move this thread to the Audio Forum and see if anybody there knows of anything.

most USB speakers are plug and play.. no drivers required.. as far as I know.. what seems to be the problem? is there any sound? Cheers.

I had philips DSS330 before. You can look for SoundAgent which is very hard to find now.

Try SoundAgent2 with it. I don't know if it will work
    MSI K7N2-L
    Athlon XP 2100+ @ 2700+
    Thermalright SK7 + Zalman Bracket
    512MB Pc2700 RAM
    Leadtek Geforce4 Ti 4200 64 MB
    Philips TFT 15"
    Terratec Aureon Space 7.1 with Prodigy 7.1 drivers
    Sennheiser 497 Headphone
    Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro
    2 80GB WDs
    Lite-On 32x12x40
    Lite-on DVD-ROM 16/48
    300W Fortrons PSU

It has a line in port, so we thought we could get some external audio device to put sound into it.

Yes sound out works well.

I also put in a post about his mobo integrated sound (AC97) on the ABIT forum,because that seems to be having problems, hence the desire to get these horrid things running.

SoundAgent2 huh? Ok, will do a search for it...

Thanks all! I will tell him again to buy a PCI sound card.

Originally posted by Mjollnir on 11-01-2003 at 02:25 AM
    It has a line in port, so we thought we could get some external audio device to put sound into it.

Yes sound out works well.

I also put in a post about his mobo integrated sound (AC97) on the ABIT forum,because that seems to be having problems, hence the desire to get these horrid things running.

SoundAgent2 huh? Ok, will do a search for it...

Thanks all! I will tell him again to buy a PCI sound card.
    I don't think the AC97 chips does analog to digital conversion. that's why you cant' get sound from the line in. All USB speakers are digital..

We were trying to get the onboard sound to work with headphones - not with the speakers.

Also we disabled the onboard sound when trying to get the speakers going properly.

Originally posted by Mjollnir on 11-01-2003 at 03:57 PM
    We were trying to get the onboard sound to work with headphones - not with the speakers.

Also we disabled the onboard sound when trying to get the speakers going properly.
    ok.
    so correct me if I'm wrong.
    Onboard sound is currently enabled.
    you are using headphones and U want to get something from a line in to sound over the headphones.

That should work. Check all volume levels. Check the plugs. Post back if I got it wrong..

In relation to this thread - the onboard sound is disabled. The USB Speakers provide sound out, but the sound in functionality is not working. There are no drivers for these speakers beyond Win98, so I wanted to see if anyone had used these horrid things before.

In relation to the other thread, the USB Speakers are removed completely from the PC, and headphones are used in the jacks for the mobo's integrated sound device. read the other thread. That issue is explained pretty clearly in there.

Thanks! I am half tempted to buy the latest Extigy and sell my Audigy to him...

EDIT: What about Generic ASIO Drivers?
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 11-01-2003 at 05:01 AM.

In relation to this thread - the onboard sound is disabled. The USB Speakers provide sound out, but the sound in functionality is not working. There are no drivers for these speakers beyond Win98, so I wanted to see if anyone had used these horrid things before.
    there's your problem. You've disabled onboard sound. once you do that, you've disabled the line in as well.
    Cheers.

Not true.

The onboard sound is disabled because the USB speakers have their own sound processor. If you enable the onboard sound, you encounter all sorts of funny glitches.

They have their own line-ins, their own line outs and they do not require connections to the onboard soundcard to provide sound funtionality. The only link to the PC needed is the USB cable itself.

I suggest you look them up to see what I am talking about.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude, but I do know that I have them configured properly. They are only supported for Win9X.

I saw a site for apparently good quality 3rd party ASIO drivers for USB devices. That may do the trick. I might write to them and ask them if I can dowload them.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 11-02-2003 at 02:17 AM.

My bad, I assumed you plugged the line in into the Mobo's line in..

ummm good luck. sorry for the runaround..

It's OK lidistick lol

Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether
    USB ASIO drivers might do the trick. They're pretty hard to find...

I might try and get some and give them to him. Will give an update next week.