Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by GeorgeBreese on 11-01-2003 at 08:34 AM
    I booted that computer I'd mentioned, the one with the SATA 10K drive and Silicon Image controller. Right on schedule, it complained about some bad NTFS index entries. I've disabled ACPI through Device Manager, but I haven't enabled Legacy APM support yet because it isn't visible in the Non-PnP devices section of Device Manager. So, for now, I get to see the classic "It is now safe" message when I shut down Windows.

Interestingly, when I shut down Windows in this configuration, I can hear the disk's heads moving around at least one time after the "It is now safe" screen appears.

Given that extra little sound, I can now start wondering whether I'll lose data if I begin using APM to power down the computer.

Aren't computers wonderful?

(Even if that last bit of disk-access is merely a delayed writing of data from the disk drive's internal cache, I can still worry about it.)
    George, did you apply the Atapi patch which upates the version? I think one of those M$ articles talked about shutting down. I'll look for it.

I found the statement which is on the fix page for the Hard Drive Corruption

http://support.microsoft.com/default...#91;LN];331958

Hard Disk May Become Corrupted When Entering Standby or Hibernation or When Writing a Memory Dump

Note If you experience hard disk corruption, you may also experience other symptoms including problems starting, restarting, or shutting down Windows XP, problems running programs, or problems opening or saving documents.

Thanks for the info Ace. I don't use hibernation or standby so I think my HDD corruption comes from someplace else. Basically, I would shut down the PC and the next morning when I tried to start it, it would give me a message that system files or config 32 were corrupted. I was using a 60GB and 80GB HDD for my raid 0 array but when combined for my array, they size is less than the 137GB threshold so I'm not sure if its a factor. Any idea if ACPI would have an effect in my situation?
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD
    500W Fortron Blue Storm PSU

Have you applied the exe patch from the above link? That is the Atapi.sys version update....

No, I haven't applied the patch because I'm not using SP1 which the article says is the cause of the trouble. I'm using the patch from GRC to take care of the critical problem SP1 was issued to address so I've never needed it. I'm also not using hibernation or standby so that makes it less likely that I'd need it. Not sure about the memory dump part though. Where I encountered corruption of my system files was trying to start the computer in the morning. Not sure if that's what the article means.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

You say the problem is starting your computer....at what position....Post screen or during the boot into Windows?

Originally posted by perdomot on 11-01-2003 at 11:58 AM
    Thanks for the info Ace. I don't use hibernation or standby so I think my HDD corruption comes from someplace else. Basically, I would shut down the PC and the next morning when I tried to start it, it would give me a message that system files or config 32 were corrupted. I was using a 60GB and 80GB HDD for my raid 0 array but when combined for my array, they size is less than the 137GB threshold so I'm not sure if its a factor. Any idea if ACPI would have an effect in my situation?
    perdomot you have misunderstood the article. SP1 is NOT to blame. It says to NEED SP1 for the patch to work as 48bit Logical Addressing only works with SP1 and not pre SP1 Windows XP.

Also this patch helps loosing data at SHUTDOWN AND IT HELPS PCS WITH HDD'S SMALLER THAN 137MB LIKE MY 120MB IF IT HAS CACHE on the HDD. What the patch does is flush the cache on shutdown.

You will need SP1 first.

P.S. Thanks George for giving your other computer a boot up.

Spotts
    Gospel Communications
    Web Site: http://www.gospel.org.au

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9
    GEIL 3200 DDR RAM 4 x 512 total 2gig
    Win XP Pro SP2, Albatron Geforce 7800GT-SH
    AMD x64 3500+ Venice Core not O/C
    Pioneer DVR-109 Dual Layer Burner
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 Sound Card, Logitech Z560 4.1 Surround Sound,
    2x Segate Serial ATA 160mb HDD Raid, Philips 202P Brillance 22" Montor, Gtr 480w power Supply

Oh well, since I don't plan on putting the SP1 on my PC anytime soon, I guess I won't need the patch.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

Ace,
    I believe it was during the boot into Windows.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

Why would you not want SP1 installed? Do you download updates through the "Windows Update"? If you do, in effect, you are adding SP1 and SP2 to your system. If you don't do the download, you have a zillion security holes in your system when on-line.

Now, if you don't ever plan to go above the 137G limit then the Atapi.sys update is not needed for your puter.

Geneva, IL USA. I miss Newton, Mass. GO RED SOX
    Ya you can't install the MSblast patch either plus other fixes.
    NF7-S 2.0 still running strong
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium,FX60 @3.0,Asus 7800GTX TOP,Thermaltake 680 PSU.

Hello, "END". How's the temp & weather in Geneva today? I use to live in Streamwood, IL.

Hello Ace-a-Rue
    How is it.

Rain and cool this AM.

I won't rub it in on how Florida is right now.

For me, I'm doing just fine trying to eek out my little nitch in retirement life....

OK last post sorry to highjack the tread.

Retirement life.

I got 20 years to go unless I hit the big one.

Enjoy it.
    I have been thinking about heading down south for a change, I hate winter.