Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Well good to know I am not the only one Ozzy. Thanks for the confirmation.

Spotts
    Gospel Communications
    Web Site: http://www.gospel.org.au

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9
    GEIL 3200 DDR RAM 4 x 512 total 2gig
    Win XP Pro SP2, Albatron Geforce 7800GT-SH
    AMD x64 3500+ Venice Core not O/C
    Pioneer DVR-109 Dual Layer Burner
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 Sound Card, Logitech Z560 4.1 Surround Sound,
    2x Segate Serial ATA 160mb HDD Raid, Philips 202P Brillance 22" Montor, Gtr 480w power Supply

Just read on www.bluesnews.com that the 4.50 drivers were pulled. So it seems that they are pretty dodgy. Keep away from them.

Spotts
    Gospel Communications

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9
    2x Segate Serial ATA 160mb HDD Raid, Philips 202P Brillance 22" Montor, Gtr 480w power Supply

I just noticed that the Via 4 in 1 drivers are out with a new version 4.51. The burb at www.viaarena.com says it fixes drive write delay failure which is good news and might make the MS hotfix more stable as some are still getting some non fatal corruptions from time to time.

spotts
    Gospel Communications

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9

I haven't had any problems to speak of so far with the 4.51's.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

I have run them for a day with no lockups or anything but installed a program this morning and good a message from windows that the program files were corrupt and to run chkdsk. I have therefore returned to the via 4.49 drivers which never gave me any corruption messages.

Spotts
    Gospel Communications

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9

Originally posted by shaunpotts on 12-04-2003 at 05:59 PM
    I have run them for a day with no lockups or anything but installed a program this morning and good a message from windows that the program files were corrupt and to run chkdsk. I have therefore returned to the via 4.49 drivers which never gave me any corruption messages.

Spotts
    Are these corruption messages occurring while overclocking or at default speed?

The corruption messages are with everything running at default stock speeds.

spotts
    Gospel Communications

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9

Actually, there is some speculation that the RAID drivers are causing the problem, and not the 4-1's...that was just a catalyst.

I'm running the newest ones, as they say that can fix the problem of data corruption.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

Hi,

Yeah I have suspected that the Raid drivers are poorly written. That is what George Breese said in his blurb. I don't think it is the 4 in 1's as you say but it seems that different 4 in 1's make the problem of the Raid driver worse. I will try the 4.51 via drivers again not that I have installed the 220c Via raid drivers yesterday when they came out.

It seems that SATA are particulary sensitive to the corruption. I have put a 120GB WD in another machine and it has no problems whatsoever.

Spotts
    Gospel Communications

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit new at all this so please bear with my ignorance. For 10 years I've had the dream of marching into my local components store and slapping down a piece of well-researched paper listing all the components I wanted to build my very own computer!
    Well, I finally got the money to do such a thing. However, the past 5 days have been a living hell for me. I never anticipated such a learning curve associated with the simple task of building a computer (it's like a model airplane without the glue, right?)
    The good news is I've learned a lot, including that a chunk of metal and silicone can push me enough past my boiling point that I would actually kick it in complete frustration.
    Yes, I kicked my computer.
    Anyhoo, after the 50th XP install, I finally got things going. F6ing for the SATA drivers, updating all my drivers, etc. But I have never had to deal with such an unstable system in my whole life! With a crash-crash here and a crash-crash there, this whole experience is about to send me to the funny farm.
    Reading all your posts (as well as countless other forums) has been extremely beneficial; I have balked at downloading the S1 Pack from MS (these tend to "clog" the system I find) but Shaun's suggestion on the HD patch job sounds interesting.
    My problem is, I don't know where the problem is. The biggest symptom is a sudden and complete shutdown of my system while I'm doing something, especially surfing/downloading/game playing. Sometimes, even my monitor just flashes me Viewmeter Parameters and squeals at me delightfully as it proceeds to shut down. Even with my online research, I'm at a loss to properly troubleshoot these most annoying occurences.
    I have felt like crying on many occasions because of the seemingly hopeless situation I find myself in. This is troublesome for a 36-year-old man.

Help?

PS. This is my first forum post ever. If I am breaching protocol or not posting in the right place, feedback is most welcomed. The general discussion on this thread seemed appropriate to me.
    Athlon XP 2500 333FSB 1.833 GHz
    Asus A7V600 VIA KT600
    ATI Radeon 9600XT
    Audigy 2 ZS w/ 5.1 Z-640 spkrs
    WD 120 GHz SATA 8M Cache
    Kingston 512M DDR PC3200 400mhz (x2)
    17" Viewsonic E70f+
    Windows XP Home

Greetings Mr. Gene, and welcome to the forum. We have some very very sharp members here that are sure to have answers for you, so hang in there. In the event this turns out to not be a storage related problem you will probably be better served by posting in the Asus forum. Again, welcome.

Thanks for the welcome dude; as per your advice, I've started new thread in Asus MoBo forum. Since I last posted, I've encountered new error messages I wasn't getting before - seems like a lot of my woes are video-driver related. Might havta throw something into the Video forum as well; also search for some answers there. I guess I appreciated the wisdom that seemed to ooze from Shaun and George's posts...

Mr. Gene
    - Off for more BSOD adventures...
    Athlon XP 2500 333FSB 1.833 GHz
    Asus A7V600 VIA KT600
    ATI Radeon 9600XT
    Audigy 2 ZS w/ 5.1 Z-640 spkrs
    WD 120 GHz SATA 8M Cache
    Kingston 512M DDR PC3200 400mhz (x2)
    17" Viewsonic E70f+
    Windows XP Home

Well, let's see about solving this problem. First of all, I also refuse to be forced to install SP1 so I use the XPdite patch at www.grc.com to plug the critical flaw and just apply the other updates.
    Next, the problems you describe are usually caused by either a badly placed heatsink or a bad/weak power supply. Remove the HS, clean off the thermal compound and reapply it carefully. Then reseat the HS, boot up and watch your cpu temp. Assuming your not OCing, the HS that came with your cpu should do the job just fine. If your temps are good, we go to the PSU next. You didn't specify what brand and voltage you have but assuming its a well known PSU like an Antec and the voltage is at least 400, I would consider replacing the PSU if the voltage readings are low. Please post what you +3.3, +5 and +12 rails are. We'll continue from there.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD
    500W Fortron Blue Storm PSU

Hi Mr Gene,

I have a near identical system. Firstly do install SP1. It has so many fixes to bugs it is not funny.

I have the same vid card and it was crashing the system. The A7v600 doesn't like running the card at 8x AGP and will freeze the computer the moment you try and run anything 3d and occassionally 2d.

Here are my tips for what they are worth. Make sure you are running the latest ATI 3.10 Cat drivers for the vid card. After the install go straitght to the video propities tab then settings/advanced and choose the SmartGart tab. Move the slider from 8x to 4x. Then move the fastwrite to off if it isn't already. Reboot. This will fix the video instability. If you don't have it download 3dmark2001 to benchmark and check the stability of 3d. Make sure you have also downloaded DirectX 9b and installed.

Once the video thing is fixed it will make a differance.

Then go to the www.viaarena.com and download the SATA 220d drivers if you haven't got them. They are much much more stable than the one on the disk that came with the computer. Install them using the setup program they come with now.

Intsall the Via 4.49 4 in 1 drivers. The latest still gives me corruptions. You can track down an earliar version from www.guru3d.com if it is still not on Viaareana.

Update to SP1 and then download critrical updates.

Also install the hotfix for your sata drive which is linked to at the beggining of this post.

My guess is if you have done that it will work.

One last thing. Did you remember to put thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink and also put the heatsink on the right way. Worth checking.

Also I am running my Audigy 2 in pci slot 4 and it likes it. Make sure you update the card over the internet at the www.soundblaster.com site. It has an auto update thing.

Let me know how it goes. It took me 3 days to work out the Video problem with my new Sappire 9600XT. Damn APG.

Shaun
    Last edited by shaunpotts; 12-29-2003 at 04:37 PM.
    Gospel Communications

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9

Originally posted by perdomot on 12-29-2003 at 04:17 PM
    Well, let's see about solving this problem. First of all, I also refuse to be forced to install SP1 so I use the XPdite patch at www.grc.com to plug the critical flaw and just apply the other updates.
    Next, the problems you describe are usually caused by either a badly placed heatsink or a bad/weak power supply. Remove the HS, clean off the thermal compound and reapply it carefully. Then reseat the HS, boot up and watch your cpu temp. Assuming your not OCing, the HS that came with your cpu should do the job just fine. If your temps are good, we go to the PSU next. You didn't specify what brand and voltage you have but assuming its a well known PSU like an Antec and the voltage is at least 400, I would consider replacing the PSU if the voltage readings are low. Please post what you +3.3, +5 and +12 rails are. We'll continue from there.
    Hi perdomot,

You must have been posting at the same time as when I finished your post was there.

What is it with SP1? The list of fixes is enormous. Runs fine on mine.

Also I agree that it might be the PSU and the CPU heat issue. Lets see what difference it makes when he changes the AGP speed. By the way Mr Gene the difference from 8x to 4x in graphics speed is barly noticable.

Spotts
    Gospel Communications

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9