Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Unhappy Where is the speed ????

Promise FastTrak S150 TX2plus w/
    2 X Raptor 36 gigs
    on a ABIT - NF7 2.0 motherboard.

current using a 32k config
    using latest nforce2 drivers
    tried upgrading Promise RAID controller drivers and made the performance WAY worse.

Do you think that perhap going with 16k would improve my performance that much ?

1st thing to do is enable the cache on those drives. Install PAM and set it for write-back cache and turn off SMART.

Any luck with rdgrimes suggestions? One thing I know you said you had no luck with updating the drivers. Do you know what drivers your using at the moment?

Well, I formatted using 16k clustering and still writes barely over 60, I also changed the PCI card location to see if I could get the controller on its own IRQ but still it wants to share it with some USB ports. I tried ATTO before nforce2 drivers but that didn't seem to make any significant difference in my write speeds. I am using the orignal driver which is 1.00.0.25. I tried the suggestion above installing PAM and it did not make a noticable difference.

*bump*

Any other ideas ?

I think that SOYO KT600 is looking pretty good about now.

Give it another try with a 16k cluster and 16k stripe.

There's no way that implementing write-back cache can not make a dramatic difference in the ATTO benchmark. Write speeds should be equal to read speeds in all file sizes. (or nearly so).
    Suggest you review the procedure for setting cache in PAM and confirm that it is set right.

When you say 16k cluster and 16k stripe what is meant by this?
    When I setup the RAID array in the Promise BIOS I set it up with 16k and build the array. Is there some other setting I need to choose to get the 16k stripe?

Originally posted by glucose on 11-14-2003 at 08:43 AM
    When you say 16k cluster and 16k stripe what is meant by this?
    When I setup the RAID array in the Promise BIOS I set it up with 16k and build the array. Is there some other setting I need to choose to get the 16k stripe?
    I didn't know it is a Promise BIOS. Try it set at "desktop" if you haven't already. The A/V setting may be better if you work with a lot of large files.

Where do you get to those settings in XP ?
    Went under disk management and didn't see any options . . . .

Originally posted by glucose on 11-14-2003 at 09:03 AM
    Where do you get to those settings in XP ?
    Went under disk management and didn't see any options . . . .
    That is in the RAID BIOS. IIRC, you'll have to delete the existing array and create a new one with the stripe/cluster sizes you want. Yea, I know, its ARGH, but such is life with RAID-0.

Perhaps it is different on the promise controllers because I did set it to 16k stripe but I didn't see 16k cluster anywhere. Perhaps it makes both of them 16k in one option ?
    Last edited by glucose; 11-14-2003 at 12:55 PM.

Originally posted by glucose on 11-14-2003 at 09:36 AM
    Perhaps it is different on the promise controllers because I did set it to 16k stripe but I didn't see 16k cluster anywhere. Perhaps it makes both of them 16k in one option ?
    I'm not sure there but other guys will help you out. Just hang tight.

Glucose, dang let's see before you go out and by a new board and if you don't have your system all loaded down to bad with your programs and stuff. Try the latest drivers from promise and do a fresh install. Just double check the floppy disk that it looks just like the disk that came with the card. All the same files and folders when you first open the floppy disk to explore it. The drivers you have are old and did you not say the one set of drivers fixed a Nvidia issue? Some times when you udate drivers for hard drive controllers through the device manager some of the main drivers don't seem to get updated.

Here's is something you can try update the drivers through the device manager. reboot then open the folder that contains the drivers that you just update too. Open the device manager go to the Promise controller in the drivers tab hit the "Drivers Detail" button for all the files that are listed check the version of them one at a time. Then go to the folder that contains the drivers and find the file your checking and check the version against whats installed. If some don't seem to match post back if all still seems to match hmmm??

I have tried using the newest drivers during the install of XP by pressing F6 and installing the drivers. The problem with using the newest ones is that it doesn't see the drive when it comes up to format the partition. If I use the original drivers that come with the controller windows sees it. Now I have tried updated the drivers to the newest ones once I had windows installed and got far worse performance. I have a thread going in the ABIT forum and you can check out what is being said over there.
    http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....hreadid=272302