Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This gets weirder and weirder. Just tried to burn the same DVD and it did it again, buffered under-run and lock-up. It's done this 3 times at the same point in the burn. Since there's no particular strain being put on the drives, I'm thinking that something in the movie files I'm burning is corrupt and the drive can't read it for some reason. Was burning at 2.4x, just tried a different movie and burned it at 4x with no trouble.
    I'm going to re-rip that movie and burn from a new set of files.
    That's a new one on me, files that can't be read???

LOL, all this talk about arrays crashing and guess what?
    My Raptor array just puked.

Was burning DVD's all night and suddenly it started slowing way down and freezing the system. After a few reboots and trying to figure it out, started getting Windows "Hard Error" and at the next reboot the Promise controller reported the array was off line, (one of the Raptors was down). Deleted the array and re-created it just as it was before.
    All my data was still intact and now it's working fine again. Ran ATTO and CHKDSK and everything seems fine. I re-seated all connectors just to be sure.
    Event viewer reports the log file is corrupt, no doubt due to crashing while it was writing something interesting.

Whattya think, am I about to lose a Raptor? Or just a controller error?

******for what it may be worth...the NForce2 mobos from what I have read are notorious for having SATA problems.

True. There does seem to be an unusual number of problems with promise cards on NF based boards. This is the first case like this I have heard of though. I really doubt either of the drives is bad but it is possible. Double check the firmware revision codes.

Talking

I am running a raid 10 with four wd 120g se 8mb drives on a nforce board, it seems to be running very well-this 454 highpoint 4 channel is the latest ide raid card out-and my guess the best one for a hundred dollors. A few things about this highpoint card-I don't like raid 5 would not load under win xp pro-I think it does work but it should work right off the bat. I think most raid cards have problems with them due to poor software and bios flashing did not work either-I have not given up however-I am going to e-mail highpoint and see if I can at least flash this card to the latest bios 303-the card came with 302bios. I think highpoint like promise card just sell them and donot care what problems come up because there are so few good raid card makers for cheap cards or they are very expensive and cost to much for most people. Who wants to spend $200+ for a raid card
    Last edited by sunofwolf; 11-20-2003 at 07:15 PM.

key words:

"I am running a raid 10 with four wd 120g se 8mb drives on a nforce board, it seems to be running very well-this 454 highpoint 4 channel is the latest ide raid card out-and my guess the best one for a hundred dollars."

Nforce boards are having SATA problems that are typically built in...not IDE especially not a PCI IDE raid card.

Originally posted by chynn on 11-18-2003 at 09:07 PM
    SIL3112 SATA Raid controller + 2 WD Raptor (pure) SATA drives = cut your boot time in half + cut your cable modem download time by 20% + zone faster than everyone else in EverQuest ...

Seriously, folks, the above RAID0 configuration will flat out beat any single IDE drive ... hands down. The response time when reading from or writing to any file is visibly obvious.

Of course, I do keep a 60G 75GXP IDE drive around to backup the important stuff on my RAID0 array ...

Something to remember is that many of the current "SATA" drives are no more than IDE drives with some additional "translation" circuitry to adapt their interface. This is not the same as running a (pure) SATA drive designed from the ground up to work that way.

And it definitely helps to put any hard drive into a case that has at least two fans blowing air over the drive area to keep the drives cool (Cooler Master and Lian-Li are two obvious choices)

Don't be such a newb, Raptors are not S-ATA drives, they are IDE drives with a marvell S-ATA converter chip on them... turn your drive over man...

Additionally, a raptor is not necessarily going to reduce your boot times and especially not help your download times, get serious!

If you told me that the raptor would cut my boot time in half on the new shuttle I built you'd be crazy.. that machine would have to boot in beween 3-4 seconds. Most RAID controllers take more time than that to even detect the drives in a RAID array. Besides, with winXP STR is more important than Access time, meaning that the newest disks from IBM, MAxtor, and seagate are only a few percent (like 5%) slower on bootup than a raptor.

It's a nice setup, you obviously spent a lot of money, but you really need to get a clue.

Originally posted by blakerwry on 11-20-2003 at 10:28 PM
    Don't be such a newb, Raptors are not S-ATA drives, they are IDE drives with a marvell S-ATA converter chip on them... turn your drive over man...

Additionally, a raptor is not necessarily going to reduce your boot times and especially not help your download times, get serious!

If you told me that the raptor would cut my boot time in half on the new shuttle I built you'd be crazy.. that machine would have to boot in beween 3-4 seconds. Most RAID controllers take more time than that to even detect the drives in a RAID array. Besides, with winXP STR is more important than Access time, meaning that the newest disks from IBM, MAxtor, and seagate are only a few percent (like 5%) slower on bootup than a raptor.

It's a nice setup, you obviously spent a lot of money, but you really need to get a clue.
    Don't try to tell those of us who have them to believe all of that. We know better.

As a HD sees it, boot time starts the instant windoze starts to load so it most definately does makes a helluva difference.

Raptor's STR isn't any faster than top-notch PATA drives and doesn't mean jack anyway when accessing a ton of fines. Access time does.

Originally posted by rdgrimes on 11-19-2003 at 09:33 AM
    Thanks to WD providing us with nearly bullet-proof Raptor drives, RAID-0 risks have been greatly reduced
    This is a joke, right?

bwm, winXP organizes files alot smarter to reduce boot time. These files are primarily ordered sequentially and thus the fast access time of the raptor does not make much of a difference (according to Storagereview.com it makes about 5% compared to the newest 7200rpm drives from seagate, IBM, and Maxtor).

btw, I count boot time from power button to desktop being loaded...

Then what is the reason? There is no way it can be the STR rate because win-xp only gets ~ 57 MB/sec out of one.

Last time I ran raid 0 on my main system it was 2 8GB's on a KT133 and one drive got bad sectors and made it crash the array. If I think IDE or SATA drives are to slow, I'd get a SCSI setup, its really cheap even to get 320 SCSI now. I'm going to hold out on my maxtor sata until I see some SCSI SATA and what kind of performance it gets
    ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    Radeon9500Pro -<16,871> 3Dmark01 | <39,167> AquaMark3
    5900Ultra - <21,127> 3DMark01 | <57,320> AquaMark3 | <7,444> 3DMark03
    Radeon9800Pro - <23,791> 3DMark01

P4 3C @ 3.9Ghz | 256MB XMS3200 x2 | P4C800-Deluxe |
    www.Badasscomputer.com Folding since 7/20/03 (Not Folding = User Error )

new HEAT - CSOFT jrichards41@comcast.net
    ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

like I said BWM, It should be more than a few seconds faster. That of course depends on your setup.. I dont think you could shave a few seconds off of a 6-8 second boot time by using a raptor... but you could shave many seconds off a 1-2 minute boot time.

My best guess is you went to a raptor from an older, slower drive... or possibly a fresh install was the cause of the speedup.

Previous drive was a WD800JB. And, as I have already stated, there are many raptor owners that disagree with you. Theory is one thing, what happens is something else.
    Last edited by BWM; 11-21-2003 at 08:13 PM.

Well, when I can load a level in a game faster than I could on my previous RAID array, then I'd say it's faster...benchmarks don't show everything.

By the way, I've never seen any PATA drive average over 100kps in hd tach, not even close to it, matter of fact, even WD drives average about 75kps. Furthermore, WD Raptors average (depending on the controller) anywhere from 100-120kps, and have a more than a 6ms gap in RAT...so, there some speed advantages, but then again, like I said earlier, benchmarks don't necessarily show it.

Later,
    Oz
    Last edited by ozzy983; 11-21-2003 at 11:46 PM.
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

I have no doubt that the raptors are the fastest desktop IDE/S-ATA drives around because of competitive density and the best access times for any S-ATA drive.

What I was refuting was the halving of boot times and 20% increase in download speeds.