100% CPU usage during network usage

Lately I noticed that while I have xmms running and galeon is loading a page with lots of images, or one big pic, the music starts to skip. I have barton 3000 with 2x512mb ram, and asus a7n8x dlx rev 2.0 & sb live. anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Lil' update: My problem doesn't just apply to galeon but to any app using the network. I think it might be the drivers, because the cpu is used 100% by the system(based on 'top') Im using nvidia's nvnet drivers.
    Last edited by pioter; 11-19-2003 at 07:00 PM.

According to this, those drivers aren't so hot:

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....hreadid=273704

Also, are you running a 2.4 kernel? Does it have the low latency patch? Is it enabled?

cat /proc/sys/kernel/lowlatency

You certainly have plenty of horsepower, but the 2.4 kernel is known to have problems getting back to XMMS in time to keep it from skipping. If on top of that you have crappy cpu hogging drivers, well...

The low latency patches really help, though.
    Testing - Please Ignore!

Where can I get and how do I apply the low latency patch?

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/schedlat.html

Basically, you have to patch the kernel sources and build a new kernel and install it. If you haven't built a kernel before, well, it's a project, but one that most folks can handle. There's a reference at the above site that describes the process better than I can. But are you sure you don't have low-latency in your kernel? Some distributions do.
    Testing - Please Ignore!

I somehow managed to build working kernel with support for most of my hardware(so far everything works) and skipping sound and high cpu load during downloads are gone. Thanks for all the help though.