Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy problem with file corruption

greetings all.

i am having a bit of a problem.

system specs can be found in the link in my sig. follow link and review the first set of information you see...titled Yasha.

i shut my rig down last night so we could watch a movie. i went to turn on the machine after the movie and received the following message:

"Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

this is on the raptor raid 0 array. i have 3 HDDs in my rig. 2 raptors in raid 0 on the VIA onboard controller, and one WD 80gig on IDE 0. the raid array and the 80 gig both have an install of windows 2k on it. i can boot fine to the 2k install that is on my WD 80 gig but i get the above error when trying to boot to the raid array. the 80gig drive is drive C: and the raid array is drive D:

i tried inserting the win2k cd to do a repair on the raid array...but windows setup would not detect the raid array...only the C: drive. booting to C: and opening up "My Computer" reveals the raid array as drive F: i can enter the drive, see all of my files, move them around and do what ever i want. upon openning up disk management, i can see the array there as well and it says the drive is healthy.

i attempted to copy over the missing/corrupted file from C: to the raid array, but i get an error saying it wont copy because there has been a sharing violation.

this is the second time this has happened. i dont know why it is doing this and i dont know to fix it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
    hmm...

Strange.... sharing violation?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the drives at this point. A squirly driver perhaps. The NTFS guys will jump on this one today.

Originally posted by BWM on 11-23-2003 at 10:47 AM
    Strange.... sharing violation?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the drives at this point. A squirly driver perhaps. The NTFS guys will jump on this one today.
    i dont think anything is wrong with the drives either. perhaps it is the original raid driver i am using...think it may be time to update it...if i can get back into my windows install on the array.
    hmm...

is it possible that the corruption is being caused by the C: drive and the fact that iuse the C: drive to format the array in a different cluster size? would i need to remove the C: drive, format the raid array, and then format the C: drive so there isnt 2 installs of win 2k?
    hmm...

It could be for some reason the boot loader has become corrupt. Check this page out. It may or may not help you get back to your Windows 2000 installation.

It could be, shouldn't be any harm in updating them. Give it a try. There may be some catch-22s in the procedure tho, so we'll get the SATA RAID guys in on this.

Ah... themortarman to the rescue

Originally posted by themortarman on 11-23-2003 at 11:08 AM
    It could be for some reason the boot loader has become corrupt. Check this page out. It may or may not help you get back to your Windows 2000 installation.
    nope. wont let me load the OS.

is there any way to transfer the system file from the C drive to the raid array thru a command prompt?
    hmm...

mortarman,
    That's the same corruption message I kept getting eventually when my Sil680 card was running in my nforce2 mobo. The only way to get around it I could think of was to keep a Ghost image on another drive or on CD. Having it on a separate drive enables you to restore the partition in about 3 minutes.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD
    500W Fortron Blue Storm PSU

mortarman,
    You might want to try this trick to see if it helps. I've used it and it works so it might help repair your rig.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1047233,00.asp
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD
    500W Fortron Blue Storm PSU

thanks for the links perdomot. my rig that is having troubles.

i just got what files i needed off of the array and formatted it. removed the C drive OS install and am running defaults under win xp and just the raid array with the single hdd as nothing but a backup. messed with a couplke of settings in the bios as well. if it happens again...ill have to run the diags on the raptors.
    hmm...

Just a quick question - are you overclocking or using enhanced ram settings? I found that if I got my ram to pumped up or the speed too fast the same message appeared on bootup so I put everything stock and it worked fine when I rebooted. I have seen this more then a few times.
    Coolermaster Comos S
    Asus Striker II Formula 780i SLI Chipset
    (Quad-Core)Intel Core2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.90GHz
    Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System
    Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC
    Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP-HC
    Thermaltake ToughPower 1,200 Watt Power Supply
    8GB (4X2GB) Mushkin XP2-6400/800 DDR2
    2 X EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GX2 9800 SLI
    G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120 SSD
    WD 300GB VelociRaptor
    2 X 750GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM 16MB CACHE HD
    1XHitachi 1TB SATA II
    2 X LiteOn LH-20A1H DVD-RWs
    Creative Labs X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Logitech Z-5500's
    Headroom Headphone Amp
    Sennheiser 650HD Headset

Originally posted by rpbrown on 11-23-2003 at 07:35 PM
    Just a quick question - are you overclocking or using enhanced ram settings? I found that if I got my ram to pumped up or the speed too fast the same message appeared on bootup so I put everything stock and it worked fine when I rebooted. I have seen this more then a few times.
    i am overclocking (as stated in th elink in my sig) and i do have my timings tightened...i have performed a couple of setting changes in the bois. if it happens again...my next step will be to lower timings...

it doesnt happen all the time...only on complete shutdown (not reboot). i ran it fine all last week with completely shutting it down...then booting a couple of hours later...worked just fine. it is random...i did a format and clean install with all of the latest drivers aquired from VIA's site...once i get a ghost program and make an image...i will test for this.
    hmm...

Darn, too bad I didn't see this earlier...

But since you couldn't see the RAID array when booting from the CD it wouldn't have helped, but for future reference, if you could have seen it an opted for a repair through recovery console, you could use the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands and that should have fixed it.

In your case, I haven't noticed any data corruption EXCEPT on a fat32 filesystem, which is why I'm not using it right now. Also, might want to try updating to the lastest VIA BIOS for the SATA (might have to hack the BIOS...I did with my soyo), and then try the newest drivers, or e-mail MSI (good luck), and question why they haven't released a BIOS with the most recent VIA RAID in it.

Sorry dude, I had the same problems, and I know you are using FAT32, but in XP/2000, there seems to be some Data Corruption issues, that may or may not be driver related...

You using VIA 4-1's?

How about SP1?

Latest updates for devices/OS hotfixes?

A 200mhz BUS, hopefully it is running the 1/6 divider...sure it is....would/shoudl not cause any problems as all the buses are in tact

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

Originally posted by ozzy983 on 11-23-2003 at 07:48 PM
    Darn, too bad I didn't see this earlier...

But since you couldn't see the RAID array when booting from the CD it wouldn't have helped, but for future reference, if you could have seen it an opted for a repair through recovery console, you could use the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands and that should have fixed it.

In your case, I haven't noticed any data corruption EXCEPT on a fat32 filesystem, which is why I'm not using it right now. Also, might want to try updating to the lastest VIA BIOS for the SATA (might have to hack the BIOS...I did with my soyo), and then try the newest drivers, or e-mail MSI (good luck), and question why they haven't released a BIOS with the most recent VIA RAID in it.

Sorry dude, I had the same problems, and I know you are using FAT32, but in XP/2000, there seems to be some Data Corruption issues, that may or may not be driver related...

You using VIA 4-1's?

How about SP1?

Latest updates for devices/OS hotfixes?

A 200mhz BUS, hopefully it is running the 1/6 divider...sure it is....would/shoudl not cause any problems as all the buses are in tact

Later,
    Oz
    thanks for the ideas Oz

i originally tried to repair it thru the windows cd with both the repair option and the recovery console...but either process would not see the raid (as you noted in your post). i used that method on another rig to fix a corruption problem.

i wasnt using fat32...i havent used a fat file system in over a year...using all the latest drivers aquired from viaarena.com and using the latest bios from MSI's site (5.2)...unless they came out with a new version in the last couple of days...ill have to check that.

all the latest updates from the windows update site are installed along with SP1a.

this board does have the 1/6 divider so that shouldnt be an issue. i am running vias latest sata raid driver from their site...once i get a ghost program...i can test further to see if what i have done so far will be ok.
    hmm...