Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    OK. As long as your covered. Let us know how it works out but whatever you do, don't run the program through Windows. The virtual partition it creates when you reboot can ruin raid arrays. It happened to me so I speak from experience. Have read others say the same thing.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD
    500W Fortron Blue Storm PSU

Originally posted by perdomot on 11-25-2003 at 12:21 AM
    OK. As long as your covered. Let us know how it works out but whatever you do, don't run the program through Windows. The virtual partition it creates when you reboot can ruin raid arrays. It happened to me so I speak from experience. Have read others say the same thing.
    can you go into a bit more detail? i already ran it thru windows...
    hmm...

Both DI and Ghost can run in Windows but have to reboot to DOS to work. Sometimes a raid array can cause problems and make the system freeze. The only way to fix it is to use the emergency diskettes to run the program(PM8) and delete the virtual partition DI creates. I've found its safer to create the diskettes and reboot so the PC boots from the floppy.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

Originally posted by perdomot on 11-25-2003 at 06:13 AM
    Both DI and Ghost can run in Windows but have to reboot to DOS to work. Sometimes a raid array can cause problems and make the system freeze. The only way to fix it is to use the emergency diskettes to run the program(PM8) and delete the virtual partition DI creates. I've found its safer to create the diskettes and reboot so the PC boots from the floppy.
    sorry...but im a bit confused...i havent read thru the manual yet...but from what i have read...all i need to do is make the image in windows and save it where i want it. if something fails and i want to restore the image...all i am supposed to have to do is boot to the DI CD and use the menus to restore the image. it mentions nothing of diskettes...but again...i havent read that much yet...
    hmm...

Don't install the new 4.50 drivers from VIA, they are terrible. As soon as I installed them, I was receiving all sort of errors, MFT corruptions, etc.

Later,
    Oz
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

Originally posted by ozzy983 on 11-25-2003 at 06:12 PM
    Don't install the new 4.50 drivers from VIA, they are terrible. As soon as I installed them, I was receiving all sort of errors, MFT corruptions, etc.

Later,
    Oz
    ouch. were these just released today? if not...when?
    hmm...

Yup, 25 november.

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

I'm not hearing any good vibes about them either.

thanks for the heads up guys. ill be sure to stay clear of them.
    hmm...

Hey Wise,
    If you look on the start menu for DI, I believe you'll see an entry for the boot disks. You need these disks to restore an image in case you can't boot up. The disks also let you run the imaging program directly from DOS. Most folks prefer to reboot with the diskettes in the floppy and run the program from their to avoid the possibility of problems with the virtual partition.

BTW, I'm typing this right now on my new KT6 Delta-LSR The mobo seems faster than my KT333 at the same speed. I got your Bios guide but there were a lot of things that you said to wait until the system was stable. Well, I'm stable so how about giving me some clues for tweaks to get my performance humming. There's a few new options I'm not familiar with so if you could give me some examples of what you've tweaked, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

Originally posted by perdomot on 11-25-2003 at 06:50 PM
    Hey Wise,
    If you look on the start menu for DI, I believe you'll see an entry for the boot disks. You need these disks to restore an image in case you can't boot up. The disks also let you run the imaging program directly from DOS. Most folks prefer to reboot with the diskettes in the floppy and run the program from their to avoid the possibility of problems with the virtual partition.
    nope. no such entry. the drive image install cd is bootable. i am supposed to boot with that cd, then do the restore.

BTW, I'm typing this right now on my new KT6 Delta-LSR The mobo seems faster than my KT333 at the same speed. I got your Bios guide but there were a lot of things that you said to wait until the system was stable. Well, I'm stable so how about giving me some clues for tweaks to get my performance humming. There's a few new options I'm not familiar with so if you could give me some examples of what you've tweaked, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    is all of your system specs in your sig the same except for the mobo? give me current status of your rig. cpu speed...etc...

i dont mind going off topic in my own thread so i will just reply here.
    hmm...

So the new DI works by bootable CD? Not bad but what if you can't access the CD in DOS? You might want to check their website to see if you can still create the diskettes. It's always good to have multiple options.

Everthing in my sig is still the same except the mobo. Everything is at default except my fsb, multi and ram timings. Basically, I curious what you enabled or disabled since several things in your guide said they could increase performance but first had to have a stable system. Thanks.
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

BTW Wise,
    Are you going to test the DI software to see if it actually restores the partition you cloned?
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD

Originally posted by perdomot on 11-26-2003 at 03:32 PM
    BTW Wise,
    Are you going to test the DI software to see if it actually restores the partition you cloned?
    i dont intend to attempt a restore unless it is necessary to do so. this is the first time i have run XP and actually have it running the way i want...always had problems with it before...not doin nothin to this setup unlesss i am forced to.
    hmm...

Originally posted by perdomot on 11-26-2003 at 06:21 AM
    So the new DI works by bootable CD? Not bad but what if you can't access the CD in DOS? You might want to check their website to see if you can still create the diskettes. It's always good to have multiple options.

Everthing in my sig is still the same except the mobo. Everything is at default except my fsb, multi and ram timings. Basically, I curious what you enabled or disabled since several things in your guide said they could increase performance but first had to have a stable system. Thanks.
    well lets see...first we will start with dram timing control.

system performance i have left to fast. never tried to increase this as when i did with my KT3 Ultra, the performance gain wasnt enough to justify it...and i got minor instability...assumed the same and never messed with it on the KT6.

i dont know what you have your ram timings at...but mine are as follows: 2, 2, 6, 2, 4, 4, 1T command disabled, fast command to normal, and R 2 R disabled. originally, i had 1T and R 2 R enabled with fast command set to fast. i dropped those particular timings in hopes that it will solve my HDD corruption issue. with your 2700 ram...you could try playing with these settings...but you may not be able to get much more out of it...depends on your FSB.

the AGP master read and write settings supposedly increase speed and performance of the agp card...i have tried these settings and noticed no visible (or by benchmark) increase...they even caused instability...

thats about it...except for the ram timings, multiplyer, fsb, and voltages...i pretty much have everything setup per the guide...what settings are you specifically refering too? what are your ram timings now? fsb? multi? voltages? how much further do you want to go?
    hmm...

Hey Wise,
    I know what you mean. I spent all day setting up my dual boot of W2K & XP Pro today and its running perfect. I did do a clone to cd-r once I got the basic set up done and I also tested my imaging to hdd speed so if you do either of these, please respond to the other thread I started in this forum on this subject. I'd like to get an idea about how other chips & imaging programs do.

As for timings and such, I'm running 2-2-6-3-4way-8QW-1T Disabled-Fast-R2R Enabled and appear rock solid. I think the 1T command is only supposed to be used with 1 ram stick but am not sure. The R2R command is a total mystery to me and the fact that the SDRAM Frequency only has 4 settings worries me. I currently have it set to 333 and have my fsb at 166 so they match up but if I got up to my usual 180 fsb, they'll be out of synch and I think performance will suffer. If I remember correctly, ram and fsb have to be in synch for Athlons to work best. What's your take on this?
    AND Phenom X3 8650
    Sapphire HD3870 vid card
    2 GB PC 6400 DDR2
    74GB Raptor
    320 Seagate SATA HDD