Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    thanks

ok i installed the full version and ran samba and shared a folder I cant see it on my windows comp....also how do i share printer or run SWAT? it says its already installed. also when i go to browse network on my XP machine it just sits there now
    "It is the soldier,not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    It is the soldier, not the campus organizer , who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin
    is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."
    ~Unknown

My Family! \ My280+Heat\My Systems
    15K 3dmarks in 3dmark06! \
    Pics of my Comps

If you want to switch to root, use the command "su" which means switch user. It is cnvenient if you are logged in as a normal user and want to do administrative work, because you can just switch the user of the tty and act as it. To go back to the original user, type "exit"

EDIT: Also, you do not need to reinstall to add those programs or to rename your pc. I've made the same mistake when I was a serious noob, so I'll let you know now before you do it again, hehe. To rename your computer just change the entry in /etc/host from localhost.localdomain to computername.localdomain. That worked for me, if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by netracer; 11-25-2003 at 05:54 PM.

Originally posted by Airmanv on 11-25-2003 at 02:34 PM
    thanks

ok i installed the full version and ran samba and shared a folder I cant see it on my windows comp....also how do i share printer or run SWAT? it says its already installed. also when i go to browse network on my XP machine it just sits there now
    Sounds like an IP conflict. Are you on a DHCP router? If so, try rebooting it. Also, are you able to access your network or the internet from the linux box? Did you recompile the nic driver for the nvidia nic?

and about compiling software...

Compiling software is not too hard. If you want something easy to compile, I suggest MPlayer. What happens is the code is released for general public use, and it can be compiled for a specific machine. By compiling it on your specific workstation, it is optimized for the system.

To compile, use the following commands:
    ./configure -reads a configure file with all of the install settings. Switch to the decompressed directory with the code and use "./configure --help" to print all the options available.

./make -compiles the code based upon options from configure file

./make test (optional) -tests the program from within the compilation directory, to ensure that it functions.

./make install -Distributes program in necessary directories (specified in configure file) so that the program will be in the appropriate paths so users can start them.

If you want, I'll walk you through the setup of MPlayer, a media player that I prefer to use- has support for Realplayer, Window Media Files, and Quicktime; also plays divx and DVD's. People complain that it is difficult, but once you have it down to a science it is easy to understand.

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens
    Airman, I was having the same problems. These steps cleared it up for me. if you are running WinXP, edit the localmachine/system/controlset/services/netlogon/"requiresignorseal" and "signsecurechannel" to display a value of 0. also, make sure any firewalls are off (I assume you already did that).

that got it to work for me but I am just using share-level access. also, I don't know of a network browser that runs on Linux that will access files on Windows machines so make sure the folders that you share in linux allow all users 'write' privleges and then move stuff over using windows. Hope that helps!

Thanks LT ill try got Zonealarm up
    It is the soldier, not the campus organizer , who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin
    ~Unknown

Pics of my Comps

i can see the box in XP now but says isdont have permission t view what samba server options do I want
    ~Unknown

Pics of my Comps

also HOW DO I RUN SWAT
    ~Unknown

Pics of my Comps

Go back to your Server Settings in SAMBA and be sure it is User authenticated, plus, when you added the share, did you go to the second tab and click on your username as the only one authorized?

no i said everyone
    ~Unknown

Pics of my Comps

what guest account so i want?
    ~Unknown

Pics of my Comps

Standby one, headin' for the LInux box. NO GUEST ACCOUNT.

had to set it to Share User would lock up network..no guest account and now I can see my printer and files W00t! Big thanks AL and Crunr!
    ~Unknown

Pics of my Comps

Okay, "Edit Samba Share" under "Properties"

Access Tab: Select "Only allow access to......"
    Make sure the username has been selected by clicking on the little square box.

"Server Settings"

Authentication Mode: "Share" or "user"
    Auath;entication Sever: leave blank
    Encrypt Passwords: "Yes"
    Guest Account: "No guest account"

Originally posted by Airmanv on 11-25-2003 at 04:06 PM
    had to set it to Share User would lock up network..no guest account and now I can see my printer and files W00t! Big thanks AL and Crunr!

Great!! Feels good when Linux starts to work....