Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    cool , hey on a side note when i run the nvidia drivers from root its says close x first wtf?
    "It is the soldier,not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    It is the soldier, not the campus organizer , who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin
    is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."
    ~Unknown

My Family! \ My280+Heat\My Systems
    15K 3dmarks in 3dmark06! \
    Pics of my Comps

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens
    Wow, thats a lot of info. some nice learning material in here. I usually stay in root until I get it all configured the way I want it, and then go in as my user and customize it. Also, 'x' is the window system for linux. I havn't had experience on this, but I'm thinking it is saying that since you are trying to update your video drivers you need to be in pure text mode instead of just a terminal running in a GUI. however, I'm not that experienced myself...

btw: where'd you get such a high-res pic of the born-to-frag logo?

dont know i can email it to ya
    It is the soldier, not the campus organizer , who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin
    ~Unknown

Pics of my Comps

Originally posted by clawhammer on 11-26-2003 at 01:02 AM
    ... I'm thinking it is saying that since you are trying to update your video drivers you need to be in pure text mode instead of just a terminal running in a GUI...
    Yep

AFter this thread, I am going to set up Samba next week- it is a howto in itself.

I'm thinking it is saying that since you are trying to update your video drivers you need to be in pure text mode instead of just a terminal running in a GUI...

Well just tell me how
    ~Unknown

Pics of my Comps

Originally posted by Airmanv on 11-26-2003 at 01:39 AM
    Well just tell me how
    LOL. Well, it is actually very easy...hit "ctrl-alt-backspace" and that will kill xServer. It amy be stupid and try to pull it back up again. If that does not work try the command "init 3" and see if that works. If it fails to work, here is what you must do:

-edit /etc/inittab. You will see a line that goes something like :Identifier:5:Action:

Change the '5' to a '3'. The runlevel specifies where the system goes on boot.
    RC1=halt (shutdown)
    RC2=single user
    RC3=multiuser w/ NFS
    RC5=multiuser w/ NFS and gUI mode

Once you change that file, reboot- you will boot in a command prompt, move around from there. once you have completed the install and want to go into xwindows, use the command "startx" to start the xserver.
    Last edited by netracer; 11-26-2003 at 02:51 AM.

ok sounds rough ill do it in the am
    ~Unknown

Pics of my Comps

Originally posted by Airmanv on 11-26-2003 at 01:50 AM
    ok sounds rough ill do it in the am
    Good luck! If you ahve any questions feel free to ask, as always

I will and I will
    ~Unknown

Pics of my Comps

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens
    dang you guys stay up late. I think I'm going to be spending most of Thanksgiving messing with Linux.

btw, did you know it takes forever to grip a cd on a K6-2?

Originally posted by clawhammer on 11-26-2003 at 10:24 AM
    dang you guys stay up late. I think I'm going to be spending most of Thanksgiving messing with Linux.

btw, did you know it takes forever to grip a cd on a K6-2?
    Dang, your up early! Hehe, naw I'm generally up by 10:30 on a vacation dday like today, but not on the move until I take a shower and eat => 11:15. Yeah, I am wrtiing an install script for my PC so all I have to do is select the options and it will reinstall any software- useful right after a format.

Other than that, just chilling- after I stuff myself, generally I like to take a nap