Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

Yeah... ...

The Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan is not really having troubles. They're pretty rock solid... and their benefits exceed even the military.

Also the shortfall is set to last between 2008-2012... because your country went tits up in 2008. Thanks.

Again -- unions themselves are not the problem.
    Last edited by Phopojijo; 02-08-2011 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phopojijo View Post
    Yeah... ...

The Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan is not really having troubles. They're pretty rock solid... and their benefits exceed even the military.

Also the shortfall is set to last between 2008-2012... because your country went tits up in 2008. Thanks.

Again -- unions themselves are not the problem.
    It was $17.1 billion in the red just last year. You call that "pretty rock solid"? I got a bridge for sale.. cheap! Seems to me that folks claiming Fannie and Freddie were "rock solid" were to blame for the beginning of the financial crisis here. And yes.. unions themselves are the problem.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

As if people have already forgotten what Waxx did and did not do..

Comedy Central: Waxman Whacks Congressional 'Fishing Expeditions'
    From an Examiner editorial:

Coming from Waxman, that line about fishing expeditions is nothing short of hilarious. During his two years in the chair now occupied by Upton, Waxman was Quick-Draw McGraw in demanding documents, issuing subpoenas and dragooning witnesses, particularly if doing so resulted in embarrassment for Republicans, Fortune 500 CEOs, oil companies, or public utilities. In his new role as ranking minority member, Waxman told Upton that he couldn't understand why the chairman would ask the Department of Health and Human Services for so many documents on Obamacare waivers: "In the absence of any evidence of misconduct, asking for this much information for 222 waivers [now over 700] appears to be either another fishing expedition or an attempt to bog down the agency with excessive document requests."

Nobody was laughing, though, when Upton added that under Waxman's leadership, the committee failed to convene a single hearing on Obamacare.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    It was $17.1 billion in the red just last year. You call that "pretty rock solid"? I got a bridge for sale.. cheap! Seems to me that folks claiming Fannie and Freddie were "rock solid" were to blame for the beginning of the financial crisis here. And yes.. unions themselves are the problem.
    Yeah it's a union so it must be bad hur o.O

Thank God you're not an accountant.

Quote Originally Posted by Phopojijo View Post
    Yeah it's a union so it must be bad hur o.O

Thank God you're not an accountant.
    You were the one who pimped it as a shining example not me. I must simply not be "good" with numbers as you imply. How $17.1 billion in the red for last year = "pretty rock solid" simply escapes me. Perhaps you can point me to an accountant or stock broker who can set me straight as to how $17B in the red is something other than what it is.

-The Gipper

I didn't say you weren't good with numbers, I said you'd be a crappy accountant (or stock broker -- I didn't bring it up but it works too). You need more than basic math skills to be an accountant or stock broker, you also need to be able to think rationally.

Blaming unions and moving on because you have a hate on for them is not thinking rationally... you didn't even take the time to read the Wikipedia article to find that counterpoint to justify your opinion, you had it regardless... and when SteveW bothered you immediately took it as damning evidence.

Yeah, it sucks when a recession occurs as the baby boomers retire for a pension plan with an investment portfolio, go figure. They were neither hurt that bad (especially relative to other investment firms) nor are unable to pull out of the dip.

^^^ You missed the stock broker inference.. and yes.. it works also. Essentially the very example you used shows the serious weakness of union benefits. They had been doing exceptionally well up until the recession. (BTW.. don't thank the US.. thank your broker). They had been averaging over 9.7% ROI. The moment that rate went so did their sustainability. Agree it's not nearly as bad as what is happening here.. but it's not a good sign at all. How many private non-unionized companies pensions need to sustain that ROI% to stay afloat? Not many as they know it's simply not realistic to think you are going to be able to average near 10% for any length of time. Only in the public sector where taxpayers are on the hook for the remainder does that sort of nonsense take place. I can (and will continue to) blame unions and move on all day long. I can also cite example after example where the unionized public sector has driven entire countries into insolvency. I can also cite examples in the private sector where they have a similar effect. The EU is having to prop up one failing gubberment after another. The fed here is having to do the same. UAW is as good an example as any in the private sector here. IIRC the collective amount unfunded union pensions for all the states here is about 3.5 TRILLION $$. I make no bones about my dislike for unions. But with the overwhelming evidence supporting my claims of the havoc the unions wreak on whatever they touch, pretty please.. with sugar on top.. save the "not thinking rationally" tripe for others. I'm not the one thinking irrationally here.

-The Gipper

^^^^^ Simply put, they were cooking the books. The plan was modeled using unsustainable paramaters.

Bottom line being, paying out too much benefits.

Evan a plan with stellar fund performance could not sustain payments. It cratered.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    ^^^^^ Simply put, they were cooking the books. The plan was modeled using unsustainable paramaters.

Bottom line being, paying out too much benefits.

Evan a plan with stellar fund performance could not sustain payments. It cratered.
    Like what gray Davis did here in CA where the gubberment employee pension was based on a Projected 28,000,000 Dow. Union wages + benefits are simply unsustainable.

-The Gipper

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Here's a beautiful story to make your blood boil... no matter WHICH side of the immigration debate you are on:

Some 3,000 war veterans, the majority of them Hispanic, have been deported over the last 15 years, according to a pair of Mexican-Ameican brothers who served in Vietnam and are now facing expulsion after 55 years in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    Here's a beautiful story to make your blood boil... no matter WHICH side of the immigration debate you are on:
    Nice... lets not pursue evicting the truly dangerous illegal immigrants. Instead go after people who have honorably served. Though I'm still curious as to why so many would not have chosen naturalization when they enlisted knowing their current status?

-The Gipper

Stupid.. good riddance...

WTF? Congressman Chris Lee (R-NY) Resigns

-The Gipper

While I'm not exactly... uh... defending cheating on your wife to some extent... ... ...

People's private life should be dealt with privately. Too many times have professionals been fired for doing completely legal things that are unrelated to their profession.

It's a much bigger issue, really... everyone has things in private they're not proud of... but have no problems denouncing other people's equivalent-but-not-the-same (or the same... but those are hypocrites) abnormalities.

Not really commenting on the New York republican's situation... I don't know much about it... it just triggered a hot-button issue for me.

Glad to see the twit is finding useful ways to pass the time..

Nancy Pelosi wants the word “hate” banned from political contexts

Censorship.. that's the answer..

-The Gipper

With friends like these......

WikiLeaks cables: US agrees to tell Russia Britain's nuclear secrets

The US secretly agreed to give the Russians sensitive information on Britain’s nuclear deterrent to persuade them to sign a key treaty, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

By Matthew Moore, Gordon Rayner and Christopher Hope

Information about every Trident missile the US supplies to Britain will be given to Russia as part of an arms control deal signed by President Barack Obama next week.

Defence analysts claim the agreement risks undermining Britain’s policy of refusing to confirm the exact size of its nuclear arsenal.

The fact that the Americans used British nuclear secrets as a bargaining chip also sheds new light on the so-called “special relationship”, which is shown often to be a one-sided affair by US diplomatic communications obtained by the WikiLeaks website.

Details of the behind-the-scenes talks are contained in more than 1,400 US embassy cables published to date by the Telegraph, including almost 800 sent from the London Embassy, which are published online today. The documents also show that:

• America spied on Foreign Office ministers by gathering gossip on their private lives and professional relationships.

• Intelligence-sharing arrangements with the US became strained after the controversy over Binyam Mohamed, the former Guantánamo Bay detainee who sued the Government over his alleged torture.

• David Miliband disowned the Duchess of York by saying she could not “be controlled” after she made an undercover TV documentary.

• Tens of millions of pounds of overseas aid was stolen and spent on plasma televisions and luxury goods by corrupt regimes.

A series of classified messages sent to Washington by US negotiators show how information on Britain’s nuclear capability was crucial to securing Russia’s support for the “New START” deal.

Although the treaty was not supposed to have any impact on Britain, the leaked cables show that Russia used the talks to demand more information about the UK’s Trident missiles, which are manufactured and maintained in the US.

Washington lobbied London in 2009 for permission to supply Moscow with detailed data about the performance of UK missiles. The UK refused, but the US agreed to hand over the serial numbers of Trident missiles it transfers to Britain.

Professor Malcolm Chalmers said: “This appears to be significant because while the UK has announced how many missiles it possesses, there has been no way for the Russians to verify this. Over time, the unique identifiers will provide them with another data point to gauge the size of the British arsenal.”

Duncan Lennox, editor of Jane’s Strategic Weapons Systems, said: “They want to find out whether Britain has more missiles than we say we have, and having the unique identifiers might help them.”

While the US and Russia have long permitted inspections of each other’s nuclear weapons, Britain has sought to maintain some secrecy to compensate for the relatively small size of its arsenal.

William Hague, the Foreign Secretary, last year disclosed that “up to 160” warheads are operational at any one time, but did not confirm the number of missiles.
    Great.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-secrets.html#