Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

Well again he does have the point that the PUBLISHER made the call and it's completely within their rights to edit their content in any way they wish to increase sales.

New York Times edits (and censors) itself all the time. So does this forum. See? ••••ERS -- guess I can't say the f word. Did you say the actual n word here or just "the 'N' Word"? You censored yourself too you pinko-commie.

Now if YOU censor the New York Times, then that's NOT the same thing. That's an outside force censoring something. One of those two situations is a violation of first amendment rights... and you're on the wrong side.

But yeah... if it's for sales that's one thing. But... Huck Finn shouldn't be deemed inappropriate because it's obviously a positive artistic piece of content.

You cannot expand what someone says outside of what they say then use it against them.

^^^ Period pieces are chock full of language that the PC types would find objectionable today. I don't want the possibility of my kids having to read the publishers self-censored version if it's going to be sold to schools and such. Which is apparently why this publisher is doing just that. Very... very.. very.. bad precedent. Remove all language someone might find offensive and you are effectively rewriting history... all for our own good of course. That Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is disappearing from school curricula to begin with is as offensive to me as this self censorship the publisher is doing. They might not be burning the books.. but removing it's availability from public schools ain't a far stretch.

In related.. "it's for your own good~we're from the gubberment.. we're here to help" news..

“Daily Show”: Meet the moron who got San Francisco to ban Happy Meals

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Free market right? The publisher can do what they want.

As for the school curriculum dropping art based on issues like that? Yes, that is a fight worth fighting.

... If (of course) it actually has an impact on the art itself... which it probably does (again, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Phopojijo View Post
    Free market right? The publisher can do what they want.
    Never implied differently. They have the right to print whatever they like and from a business standpoint it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Phopojijo View Post
    As for the school curriculum dropping art based on issues like that? Yes, that is a fight worth fighting.

... If (of course) it actually has an impact on the art itself... which it probably does (again, of course).
    Edit any author/artists work and ask them if it's had an impact. You'll be able to count the no votes without using a single digit.

Start with all works that use the word ••••••. <== FYI that was the "N" word. What's next? The word slave ain't all that popular either. Censor that next? How about Nazi? Oooh.. bad word.. it's gotta go too I guess. As I said... history is being rewritten before our very eyes. Slippery slope... These folks are not doing us any favors with any type of censorship. Self imposed or otherwise. That they are doing it so these censored books will end up back on our school bookshelves with the apparent blessings of our so called educators is sickening.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Yep, I agree.

I don't know if anyone caught this one yet, but you can't even be safe from the traffic ... in the attic-

Russell Stidolph of Rowayton was charged with drunk driving Monday after launching his Porsche Carrera 35 feet in the air and crashing into the second floor of a house on Highland Avenue on Nov. 19 Stidolph was trapped for 40 minutes until firefighters rescued him. Photo: ST, Contributed Photo / Stamford Advocate Contributed

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/poli...ent-936624.php
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroSim View Post
    I don't know if anyone caught this one yet, but you can't even be safe from the traffic ... in the attic-

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/poli...ent-936624.php
    "Santa, I want a Porsche for Christmas!" 5 seconds later it crashes into the room. "Whoa! Thanks Santa!"

Or more like "Santa, I want a Porsche for Christmas!" 5 seconds later it crashes into the room and kills her parents

I'd say that one won't be going to the body shop.

UPDATE: It flew 45 feet "Through" the air from a low retaining wall to the target house. It did not apex at 35 feet "In" the air. Still a darn respectable launch to hit the roof overhang on a house after flying 45 feet.......

Correction to article.
    Last edited by SteveW; 01-08-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Charles Darwin must be rolling in his grave! That drunken SOB lived!
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Great... I can't hardly wait till the PC elite git around to "sanitizing" Shakespeare and such so no one is offended.

Upcoming NewSouth 'Huck Finn' Eliminates the 'N' Word

But we can't sensor the "N" word from hip hop.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Hmmmmm.......let's see, the math on this little ditty goes like:

The new Chinese 5th generation fighter jet in development is said to be comparable to the F-22 and outperform the F-35. Yet, Robert Gates says we'll have them outnumbered and retain the advantage in the skies.

Outnumbered with what? Last year Mr. Gates finally succeded in killing the F-22 program, which capped production numbers at ~195 aircraft. So, when China rolls 196 off the production line what happens? Duh......

Wonder, if China will builds 750 or more of their new aircraft like the original planned numbers for the F-22 what our position will be? Should we thank Obama and Gates now?

Just a matter of time now........the Obama legacy is shaping up as predicted.
    Last edited by SteveW; 01-08-2011 at 01:44 PM.

^^^ Being our resident airframe guru around here, Steve, do you think the J-20 (I think that's what they call the new Chinese stealth plane) is a serious threat?

I read about it here and there and it seems everyone has a different take on it.

What gets me is its size. Isn't it almost as large as a B-1?

I dunno. Just askin'.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Hmmmmm.......let's see, the math on this little ditty goes like:

The new Chinese 5th generation fighter jet in development is said to be comparable to the F-22 and outperform the F-35. Yet, Robert Gates says we'll have them outnumbered and retain the advantage in the skies.

Outnumbered with what? Last year Mr. Gates finally succeded in killing the F-22 program, which capped production numbers at ~195 aircraft. So, when China rolls 196 off the production line what happens? Duh......

Wonder, if China will builds 750 or more of their new aircraft like the original planned numbers for the F-22 what our position will be? Should we thank Obama and Gates now?

Just a matter of time now........the Obama legacy is shaping up as predicted.
    You do realize that Gates is a Bush appointee and there are numerous legitimate reasons for wanting to scale back the F-22 and F-35?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    You do realize that Gates is a Bush appointee and there are numerous legitimate reasons for wanting to scale back the F-22 and F-35?
    1) Robert Gates "was", not "is" a Bush appointee. He is currently an Obama appointee.

2) No, there are not.

I suppose there are also legitimate reasons to continue production of less capable F-18 Super Hornets? Right?

What it boils down to is crappy politics and the US will pay for these blunders in decades to come......
    Last edited by SteveW; 01-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.