Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

From the article:
    With Earthlab estimating that every gallon of jet fuel burned produces 23.88 pounds of CO2..

How do they figure? Quick google says that a gallon of jet fuel weighs about 6.7 pounds..how can that make 23 pounds of CO2 when u burn it? Is oxygen THAT heavy?

My ignorant streak continues.
    Nuke em'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    From the article:
    With Earthlab estimating that every gallon of jet fuel burned produces 23.88 pounds of CO2..

How do they figure? Quick google says that a gallon of jet fuel weighs about 6.7 pounds..how can that make 23 pounds of CO2 when u burn it? Is oxygen THAT heavy?

My ignorant streak continues.
    Linkage:

http://www.earthlab.com/carbon-calculator.html

Air Travel Emissions

To calculate your personal air travel emissions, the number of round trips of selected duration/distance are entered into an equation as follows. Total Revenue Passenger miles flown per year [U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics; TranStats, Air Carrier Summary: Schedule T-1] divided by total jet fuel consumed per year [U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics, "Airline Fuel Cost and Consumption"], resulting in 43.13 Passenger miles flown per gallon of jet fuel. This figure is divided into the 23.88 pounds of carbon dioxide produced per gallon of jet fuel used [U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics, "Airline Fuel Cost and Consumption"], yielding 0.484 pounds of carbon dioxide per Passenger mile flown. The number of miles actually flown (inputted) is multiplied by this figure, and to calculate metric tons, the product is divided by 2,205.
    I'm sure you can look up the DOT values and double check the science.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Yeah, it really can. You put a heckuva lot more air into a combustion process than you do fuel. All that "C" that was tied up in a hydrocarbon ends up married to a couple of oxygen atoms.

OK, not really all as some comes out as CO, but in general burning hydrocarbons produces lots of CO2 and H2O.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Wow... that's an absolutely EPIC fail for the city gubberment! ...and of course, a win for the residents of the city.

Maybe trout will be an oil baron!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/11/us...ss&oref=slogin

Clinton makes my skin crawl with his "I feel your pain" fantasy.
    Gimme a break

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9531.html

Since 2001, Clinton has received more of almost every benefit available to former presidents — from his pension to his staff’s salaries and benefits to supplies. His $420,000 phone bill and $3.2 million office rent tab both nearly surpassed the totals rung up for those purposes by Bush, Carter and the late former presidents Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan combined. As a group, they spent $484,000 on telephone service and $3.8 million on rent in the same span.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Maybe trout will be an oil baron!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/11/us...ss&oref=slogin
    Nope, don't own any of that country. I think the nearest part of that deposit is about 500 miles away by road.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

More on the Columbian Trade deal killed by the Democrats
    [via Glenn Reynolds here http://www.instapundit.com/ ]

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed...ia_trade_pact/

May as well get all my slams out of the way:

Democratic Energy Policy

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../04/020265.php
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-11-2008 at 10:17 AM.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    The only hitch is going to be getting him out of Mexico....which is no doubt why he went there. If he faces a charge/s that carry the death penalty
    Mexico may refuse. So the best option may be to charge him with kidnapping, get him extradited and then whack him with the murder charge.[1]

[1]
    His capture in Mexico protects Laurean from facing the death penalty in the United States. Mexico's extradition policy prohibits U.S. officials from seeking capital punishment against fugitives turned over by Mexican authorities.
    If Laurean chooses to fight extradition, it could take up to two years to return him to North Carolina, Hudson said.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-11-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    If Laurean chooses to fight extradition, it could take up to two years to return him to North Carolina, Hudson said.
    Hmm.... tough call. Two years in Mexico as a prisioner or return to the U.S. LOL! Twelve million illegals can't be wrong!
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win XP Pro SP3 / MEPIS 8.0.15 / MEPIS 11

^^Yeah. The death penalty that might be associated is gonna have to come off the table or hell never be sent back. I also read hes a duel citizen [US/Mexican] so that may complicate things further.

^^ I think the death penalty is already off the table if one believes what they hear on fox or msnbc.

Ah. OK. I havent been listening to the tube.^^
    Hell of a way to do business...have to fit the crime and possible outcomes to
    what other countries dictate.

But who knows. I cant get into the guy's head about motivation etc.
    If he is sick? I get that.