Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

I may be missing something here but it seems Ace has an issue with Obama's remarks

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/259984.php

I dont blame him one bit.

Glenn Reynolds abit ago

ANOTHER UPDATE: The Huffington Post has audio. And there's this reaction: "It shows an elitism and condescension towards hardworking Americans that is nothing short of breathtaking." But Armando thinks he'll get away with it. Plus, Obama's response.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-11-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Bah.^^^ Im about the last Republican that takes issue with Obama because I want the Clintons gone.
    But come on.... lay off the elitist card.
    Like your church is some model of enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    yes
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

Quote Originally Posted by old82 View Post
    yes
    You know. Leave our beer alone!! Sheesh.

Lemme explain abit about the Obama post above.

I simply dont like politicians getting into religion. Leave it alone what people do on Sunday or Saturday or Friday.
    Just dont go there because it shouldnt be part of a campaign.
    Its a no win thing to talk about.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Hey Jim, about the FAA/Airlines/Cancelled Flights deal?

The FAA has these rules that the airlines are supposed to follow. Maintenance schedules, occasional new inspections if a question has come up, changes in procedure. THIS TIME, there was an order sent out that said:
    If you have MD-80's in your fleet, the FAA kindly requires you to check to make sure that some wire restraints were installed correctly, and if you have one of the planes where it was NOT done correctly, you have to fix it. Not a biggie, you don't have to pull them now, but next maintenance schedule before (whatever deadline date) you are required to check this out and fix it if you find it. Thank you.
    So, of course, the airlines blew it off, and the deadline passed. It's just wire wraps, not a fire hazard, so the airline's maintenance dept decided to get around to it when the new MD-PIGS were scheduled to fly.

Now somebody in the FAA came through on a normal inspection, found it not done, and said, "OK, cool, you didn't do the required work. Your call. Of course, you understand that I have to fine you $10,000/day/plane* until you are in compliance. Any questions, call me at (800) 555-3217. Have a nice day."

THAT'S when the airlines decided to ground the fleet. The FAA wasn't telling 'em to ground it, they decided to do it on their own... because it cost them less to screw up all these flights than it did to pay the fines for not doing basic required maintenance/changes. The FAA hasn't changed the rules, they haven't changed their enforcement, they've just followed procedure. The Airlines prewed the scootch, that's all.

* Not the actual figure, just an example.
    Last edited by Fluff n Stuff; 04-11-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    Hey Jim, about the FAA/Airlines/Cancelled Flights deal?

The FAA has these rules that the airlines are supposed to follow. Maintenance schedules, occasional new inspections if a question has come up, changes in procedure. THIS TIME, there was an order sent out that said:So, of course, the airlines blew it off, and the deadline passed. It's just wire wraps, not a fire hazard, so the airline's maintenance dept decided to get around to it when the new MD-PIGS were scheduled to fly.

Now somebody in the FAA came through on a normal inspection, found it not done, and said, "OK, cool, you didn't do the required work. Your call. Of course, you understand that I have to fine you $10,000/day/plane* until you are in compliance. Any questions, call me at (800) 555-3217. Have a nice day."

THAT'S when the airlines decided to ground the fleet. The FAA wasn't telling 'em to ground it, they decided to do it on their own... because it cost them less to screw up all these flights than it did to pay the fines for not doing basic required maintenance/changes. The FAA hasn't changed the rules, they haven't changed their enforcement, they've just followed procedure. The Airlines prewed the scootch, that's all.

* Not the actual figure, just an example.
    OK. I understand it better now...it was difficult to read/understand who exactly was at fault.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-11-2008 at 11:24 PM.

^^^ Do ya know how some of us 'puter freaks wrap our hand sheathed wire bundles with color matched zip ties? They do it in planes to stop wire chafing. The rule is every inch, you restrain the wires.

American's planes had wires restrained every 1-1/2".

Dat's what I heard.
    Last edited by Dutchcedar; 04-12-2008 at 12:57 AM.

Guys at the Onion again. Funny stuff as usual...

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...industry_falls

More on the airline mess

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...0.html?cnn=yes

snip

Federal Aviation Administration ordered the carrier to ground 300 planes for inspection — are the aviation equivalent of a traffic cop behind on his quota blanketing a street with tickets to avoid catching heat from his sergeant. Woe unto thee unlucky enough to double park. The cop in this scenario is the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The agency responsible for policing the safety of the nation's airlines has been under intense pressure over the last few weeks, ever since an investigation by the House Transportation Committee revealed in March that an FAA supervisor allowed Southwest Airlines to fly 46 planes that had missed inspections. Congress has been holding hearings on aviation safety, during which Robert Sturgell, the FAA's acting administrator, who is up for the permanent position, has had to answer charges, from whistleblowers and lawmakers, of excessive coziness with and lax oversight of the nation's commercial carriers.

Ouch.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...Q5MTU4YmJkMjc=

One of Mark's^^ greatest gifts are his summary lines:

And yes, I'm a foreigner. But it takes one to know one, and this guy seems weirdly disconnected from everything except neo-segregationist Afrocentric grievance politics and upscale white liberal condescension. Not much of a coalition.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-12-2008 at 11:39 AM.

I just happened to see this and dropped Brad [BWM] a note about this

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3728060.ece

That is simply amazing to me.

Man. When your number is up? Its up.
    I feel badly for the cat but sheesh.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/12/art....ap/index.html
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-12-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Rolleyes Approved We endorse this tire company.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-c...0.photogallery

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Ouch.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...Q5MTU4YmJkMjc=

One of Mark's^^ greatest gifts are his summary lines:

And yes, I'm a foreigner. But it takes one to know one, and this guy seems weirdly disconnected from everything except neo-segregationist Afrocentric grievance politics and upscale white liberal condescension. Not much of a coalition.
    And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.
    That’s a typical far left elitist attitude. He forgot beer, babes, bowling, baseball and bingo.

In addition to typical white people now we have people that live in small towns categorized as angry, bitter and frustrated.