Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    Don't know where to put this. I've seen it happening in my own city back home.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/16/s...ity/index.html
    The American Dream is alive and well. But the "dream" requires some personal responsibility which the article seems reticent to mention in it's focus on the end result of it's absence. A few pointers such as living inside your means... buying a home you can actually afford.. and reading your contract before signing it could have prevented much of the heartache being felt. We could have also not loosened lending requirements that ultimately led to this mess to begin with.

My2c.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

From the piece. This is what is interesting for me. Not a new concept [I saw the same thing happen in Hartford CT 35-40 years ago.

"The American dream is absolutely changing," he told CNN.
    This change can be witnessed in places like Atlanta, Georgia, Detroit, Michigan, and Dallas, Texas, said Leinberger, where once rundown downtowns are being revitalized by well-educated, young professionals who have no desire to live in a detached single family home typical of a suburbia where life is often centered around long commutes and cars.
    Instead, they are looking for what Leinberger calls "walkable urbanism" -- both small communities and big cities characterized by efficient mass transit systems and high density developments enabling residents to walk virtually everywhere for everything -- from home to work to restaurants to movie theaters.
    The so-called New Urbanism movement emerged in the mid-90s and has been steadily gaining momentum, especially with rising energy costs, environmental concerns and health problems associated with what Leinberger calls "drivable sub-urbanism" -- a low-density built environment plan that emerged around the end of the Second World War and has been the dominant design in the U.S. ever since.
    Thirty-five percent of the nation's wealth, according to Leinberger, has been invested in constructing this drivable sub-urban landscape.
    But now, Leinberger told CNN, it appears the pendulum is beginning to swing back in favor for the type of walkable community that existed long before the advent of the once fashionable suburbs in the 1940s. He says it is being driven by generations moulded by television shows like "Seinfeld" and "Friends," where city life is shown as being cool again -- a thing to flock to, rather than flee.
    "The image of the city was once something to be left behind," said Leinberger.

-----------------------

I never bought into the "suburban" dream that involved long commutes.
    I think sitting in a car for an hour each way is a waste of time and energy.
    But? Its cool folks are realizing finally that living close to where you work is like money in the bank. And it goes back to the old concept of community.
    I understand its not always possible for some folks to live close to work
    so perhaps this will open up some decent properties that dont cost a fortune.

Before the explosion of cars and people having the $ to buy them it wasnt unusual for
    families to all live within a rock throw of one another and all work for the same companies.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-16-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Highlarious! [Jonah Goldberg]

A U.N. report says that the U.K. must consider ditching the monarchy.
    The resulting report said Britain should have a referendum on the monarchy and the need for a written constitution with a bill of rights.

The monarchy costs each adult in Britain around 62p a year but even groups representing taxpayers said there was no case for getting rid of it.

Matthew Elliott, chief executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: "With so many human rights abuses around the world the UN should be busy reporting on issues of starvation, execution and the denial of the vote to huge numbers of people around the world.

"Saudi Arabia and Cuba should pay a little more attention to their own human rights record."

The UN report was also critical of the UK's treatment of immigrants from Sudan.

Syrian representatives accused the UK of discriminating against Muslims and Iran complained about the UK's record on tackling sexual discrimination.
    06/16 12:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    -----------------------

I never bought into the "suburban" dream that involved long commutes.
    I think sitting in a car for an hour each way is a waste of time and energy.
    But? Its cool folks are realizing finally that living close to where you work is like money in the bank. And it goes back to the old concept of community.
    I understand its not always possible for some folks to live close to work
    so perhaps this will open up some decent properties that dont cost a fortune.

Before the explosion of cars and people having the $ to buy them it wasnt unusual for
    families to all live within a rock throw of one another and all work for the same companies.
    What I saw at the height of the .bomb was a lot of people taking their new salaries and buying houses in the outlying areas such as Modesto.. Stockton.. Sacramento.. Morgan Hill and such. I had several discussions with those homeowners/co-workers about the logic of the commute for ownership now vs. socking the cash away to buy a home at a later time closer to where they will probably work for the foreseeable future.. the SF bay area. Or at the very least buy a townhouse/condo here and rake in some equity. The desire or lack of patience seems to override all other considerations.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

100% I agree there is a big element of that ....the lack of patience. Hell.
    I recall the days when there was no expectation of owning a home for years and years. But people saved. They didnt even consider going for a mortgage until they had squirreled away 20% and shopped accordingly.

example: My first house. 60,500. Down payment $20,000. Mortgage $315.00 monthly.
    And yeah. Interest rate 8.5% fixed.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-16-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Living with parents is becoming a very popular thing. It has such a negative connotation here where only the people farthest away from anything they care about on a daily basis are considered cool, but in other countries where population densities are highish it is expected.

I like where I live. Work is literally three minutes away. I'd rather not burn an extra two hours of my life each day for my job for free.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a dinosaur.

Scooter/Dutch and tucker? Roll the theme song

I think perhaps I might have noticed before 60,000 and dripping walls

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367442,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Scooter/Dutch and tucker? Roll the theme song

I think perhaps I might have noticed before 60,000 and dripping walls

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367442,00.html

"Doh. I knew there was trouble when they ate my wifes eyeballs"

^^^ Too funny.

-The Gipper

As poor as my hearing is? I would have heard 60,000 bees. But who knows.
    Maybe its a symptom of moonshine "buzz"

^^^ I’d be awfully careful about tasting a strange substance on the wall…

I wouldnt touch it with a fork.

The old saying: "Looks like dog shit. Smells like it too....even tastes like it"...."Glad I didnt eat it"

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    ^^^ I’d be awfully careful about tasting a strange substance on the wall…
    Ya.. my first reaction to substances "oozing" from a wall is not to stick it in my mouth...

-The Gipper

Bob Beckel.. what a tool..

Everybody and their sister knows the "rumor" came from Larry Johnson... and I'm pretty sure he is no "right wing cracker".

-The Gipper

Sheesh. I hadnt realized it was a requirement when a merge is done

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...602470_pf.html

Oh Yeah. Firefox 3 is out today.

Not your usual discrimination story:
    Perdue Farms Inc. will pay more than $800,000 after the U.S. Department of Labor found that its hiring practices systematically discriminated against non-Hispanic job applicants.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-17-2008 at 09:50 AM.