1. #16531
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,684

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-17-2008 at 10:34 AM.

  2. #16532
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,684

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    The reader has some points here


    Northern Approaches [John Derbyshire]

    A reader from the Wolverine State wonders:
    Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

    Where is all the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem? Asking where the FEMA trucks (and trailers) are?

    Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago?

    When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines?

    Where are Sean Penn and the Dixie Chicks?

    Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?

    When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a "vanilla" Iowa, because that's the way God wants it?

    Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage complete with reports of cannibalism?

    Where are the people declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?

    How come in 2 weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?
    [Me] DK on all the above. There has been an incident of looting, though: see here.
    06/17 11:20 AM


    I would add ...where are sobbing Shep Smith and Geraldo?

  3. #16533
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,684

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Threatening? They cant be serious.

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367852,00.html

    The guy may as well have ordered the sidewalk to "get the cops"

  4. #16534
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    24,178

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Sheesh. I hadnt realized it was a requirement when a merge is done

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...602470_pf.html


    Oh Yeah. Firefox 3 is out today.




    Not your usual discrimination story:
    Perdue Farms Inc. will pay more than $800,000 after the U.S. Department of Labor found that its hiring practices systematically discriminated against non-Hispanic job applicants.
    More jobs Americans won't do..

    Edit to add:

    As to the Xm dealeo... any opportunity they can use to force a variation of the "fairness" doctrine of private businesses will not be passed up.
    Last edited by AMDScooter; 06-17-2008 at 12:07 PM.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  5. #16535
    Joined
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8,887

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    The reader has some points here


    Northern Approaches [John Derbyshire]

    A reader from the Wolverine State wonders:
    Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

    Where is all the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem? Asking where the FEMA trucks (and trailers) are?

    Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago?

    When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines?

    Where are Sean Penn and the Dixie Chicks?

    Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?

    When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a "vanilla" Iowa, because that's the way God wants it?

    Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage complete with reports of cannibalism?

    Where are the people declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?

    How come in 2 weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?
    [Me] DK on all the above. There has been an incident of looting, though: see here.
    06/17 11:20 AM


    I would add ...where are sobbing Shep Smith and Geraldo?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

  6. #16536
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,684

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    The Wall Street Journal:

    Sen. Obama cited new economic forces to explain what appears like a return to an older-style big-government Democratic platform skeptical of market forces. "Globalization and technology and automation all weaken the position of workers," he said, and a strong government hand is needed to assure that wealth is distributed more equitably. He spoke aboard his campaign bus, where a big-screen TV was tuned to the final holes of the U.S. Open golf tournament.

  7. #16537
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Kern River Valley, CA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    9,569

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    he said, and a strong government hand is needed to assure that wealth is distributed more equitably.

    What he means is socialism…

  8. #16538
    Joined
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8,887

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    The Wall Street Journal:

    Sen. Obama cited new economic forces to explain what appears like a return to an older-style big-government Democratic platform skeptical of market forces. "Globalization and technology and automation all weaken the position of workers," he said, and a strong government hand is needed to assure that wealth is distributed more equitably. He spoke aboard his campaign bus, where a big-screen TV was tuned to the final holes of the U.S. Open golf tournament.
    While I agree with the criticism, I have to wonder if it is one-sided. Are we to believe that only Obama is wealthy and out of touch with reality (as Republicans like to portray Democrats) or that he is simply making such hypocrisy more open to criticism? Certainly Obama is not the only one, nor are Democrats the only party so.

    Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    What he means is socialism…
    Government is socialism. Whether you want increased "national security" or a national healthcare system is simply a matter of party affiliation, as both are redistribution of resources and (shock!) socialized care.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

  9. #16539
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    24,178

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  10. #16540
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,684

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Second link and you will understand this

    http://arewelumberjacks.blogspot.com...ty-update.html

  11. #16541
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,684

  12. #16542
    Fluff n Stuff's Avatar
    Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪
    Joined
    May 2001
    Location
    South Seattle, Wa
    Posts
    12,386

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Second link and you will understand this

    http://arewelumberjacks.blogspot.com...ty-update.html
    Right on... it was time for a new Avatar!



  13. #16543
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,684

  14. #16544
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,684

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day


  15. #16545
    Joined
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Arizona's White Mountains
    Age
    68
    Posts
    3,526

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    With all it's flaws and faults why I'm glad I live in the United States:

    http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D91CDUK80.html
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

    Win XP Pro SP3 / MEPIS 8.0.15 / MEPIS 11

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •