Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

drugs do a body good... less skin means you lose weight!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580379,00.html
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

Who's your person of the year? (Time's is Ben Bernanke)

Straw Man should be the person of the year. He’s been employed by President Obama so much this year that he is certainly the busiest person in Washington. As the president has advocated his bloated stimulus package, his government intrusion into health care and his plans to return us to a pre-9/11 security mindset by treating terrorists as common criminals, Straw Man has provided the perfect foil for the president’s arguments. Straw Man deserves the Person of the Year recognition, particularly because he is rarely named. Most of the time he is referred to by his nicknames “some say” or “those who say.” Witness how busy Straw Man has been in 2009, as President Obama takes on his greatest hits:

Obama: “There are those who say these plans are too ambitious.”

Obama: “I know some folks on Wall Street who say we should just focus on their problems.”

Obama: “There are those embrace a view that can be summarized in two words: anything goes.”

Obama: “There seem to be a set of folks, and I don’t doubt their sincerity, who just believe we should do nothing.”

Obama: “"I reject the view that . . . says government has no role in laying the foundation for our common prosperity."

Obama: "A surplus became an excuse to transfer wealth to the wealthy."

Obama: "We have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord."

Obama: “There are those who insist that we be defined by our differences.”

Obama: "Of course, there are some critics, always critics, who say we can't afford to take on these priorities.”

Obama: "A philosophy that says every problem can be solved if only government would step out of the way; that if government were just dismantled, divvied up into tax breaks, and handed out to the wealthiest among us, it would somehow benefit us all. Such knee-jerk disdain for government -- this constant rejection of any common endeavor -- cannot rebuild our levees or our roads or our bridges."

Straw Man’s influence in Washington is at an all time high. He deserves to be the person of the year.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Who's your person of the year? (Time's is Ben Bernanke)

Obama: "A philosophy that says every problem can be solved if only government would step out of the way; that if government were just dismantled, divvied up into tax breaks, and handed out to the wealthiest among us, it would somehow benefit us all. Such knee-jerk disdain for government -- this constant rejection of any common endeavor -- cannot rebuild our levees or our roads or our bridges."
    Yeah, our government does so well.

I knew someone with the Corps of Engineers. He said that billions were passed every year to shore up and reinforce the levees, but somewhere between Washington and the Corps+contractors, the money would be "dissappropriated."

The corruption in and around the Big Easy is legend. It was unmasked with Katrina, but it's funny how the irresponsibility and corruption was swept under the rug.

AFAIC, N.O.'s main contribution to the GDP are bordellos and drug addictions and living there below sea level is a Darwin award begging to happen. They should have left it to drown in its own sewage after Katrina and imprisoned much of the local and state government. If people knew the truth, they might even be tempted to shore up levees with them as well.

Perish the thought we would give up on wasteful and bad ideas and actually build a city where it makes sense.

If government worked like it should, we wouldn't be needing bailouts and stimulus packages to further carry taxpayer rip-offs.

Last edited by AeroSim; 12-18-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Here's an interesting story about a guy that got in trouble for horsing around.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/912190327

GOSHEN — Erick Rivera just couldn't take his mind off those fillies next door.

At least a dozen times since July, the 18-year-old crept from his rented room in an inn overlooking the Goshen Historic Track and had his way with his equine neighbors, Village of Goshen police have concluded after a six-month-long investigation.

Rivera's amorous adventures ended Thursday evening when police charged him with burglary, a felony, and two misdemeanors — sexual misconduct with an animal and petty larceny. He's being held in the Orange County Jail in lieu of $15,000 cash bail.

Police expected to file four additional counts each of burglary and sexual misconduct against Rivera on Friday.

Village police Chief James Watt said Rivera entered the unlocked stables after midnight and used bridles to immobilize the horses in their stalls for each of his escapades.

He lived next door at the Goshen Inn and had no affiliation with the 169-year-old track, which bills itself as the oldest active harness-racing venue in the country.

Police used surveillance camera recordings to identify Rivera. He was never caught in the act, although employees told police they saw someone bolt from the stables several times in the early-morning hours, Watt said.

Village police have accumulated a litany of sardonic observations during the six months they sought to identify their human stallion. The only one Watt was prepared to repeat in print involved a comparison with the professional football player who served prison time for organizing dog fights.

"This guy makes Michael Vick look like a charter member of PETA," Watt said.
    Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

Tony Blair: Everybody likes me really - especially abroad

By Daniel Martin

Tony Blair says it is not true that nobody likes him.

He insists he is very popular - especially abroad.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0aHmnvHFz
    Good, well •••• off there then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    "Who is this guy"
    "•••• Cheeny"
    I know, but who was he, what was his job?"
    "He shot president Bush"

Somethings are easily remembered!!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

From last year:

Festive goat up in flames again

A giant straw goat erected each Christmas in a northern Swedish town has been burned down - yet again.

The 13m-high (43ft) animal in Gavle has been torched 23 times since it was first erected in 1966. It has also been hit by a car and had its legs cut off.

The vandals are rarely caught, though in 2001 a 51-year-old American tourist spent 18 days in jail after being convicted of setting it alight.

In 2007, the goat managed to make it through the festive season unscathed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    Here's a totally wacky & off the wall Idea: Guard it round the clock next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7801156.stm
    Another year and the goat goes up in flames again.

I'm more interested in this as a study into bureaucratic inertia and stupidity than anything else.

http://www.thelocal.se/24012/20091223/

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    Another year and the goat goes up in flames again.

I'm more interested in this as a study into bureaucratic inertia and stupidity than anything else.

http://www.thelocal.se/24012/20091223/
    In the last couple of years, the goat has not been treated with flame retardant because it previously discoloured the straw creature and detracted from its grand stature.
    Right. And the fresh coat of 'carbon black' is so very festive...

That's true. Apparently Thor's chariot was pulled by goats.

He doesn't sound so fierce now.

J'ever stare down a goat?!?

TERRORIST THREAT LEVEL RAISED!

From "Don't Worry, Be Happy" to "Hakuna Matada."

h/t Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    J'ever stare down a goat?!?
    Yeah, but it keeled over and died on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    TERRORIST THREAT LEVEL RAISED!

From "Don't Worry, Be Happy" to "Hakuna Matada."

h/t Ace

I think with the president in Hawaii the “Shaka sign” might be more appropriate.

Originally it means to "hang loose", or to chill and be laid back. It can be used as a positive reinforcement.

Hakuna Matada it is.......
    "Walk Heavy, Stand Tall, Carry a Big Stick"
    Daily Driver - ASUS CROSSHAIR Atholn 64 X2 6400+ - Liquid Cooled
    A/V Mastering & Processing - ASUS A8N32-SLI Opteron 180
    Print/File Server - ASUS A7V880 XP-3200 Barton
    System Specifications