Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    The student loan issue. Honestly...I never thouhgt about them as similar to the entire mortgage thinking. And I hadnt realized the net resilt http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...richard-vedder
    It seems no matter what perspective it comes from, whenever I read an opinion piece on education by an America, I'm not sure whether to be angry or laugh.

The typical college student spends less than 30 hours a week, 32 weeks a year, on all academic matters — class attendance, writing papers, studying for exams, etc.
    I would very much like to see the raw data that supports this claim. If it is actually true, that might be due to some of the "politically-motivated" degrees, and not degrees in math, physical, or biological sciences. I probably spent an average of 25 hours in Class, and that doesn't count the lab components which took up most of my time performing and researching on. And that doesn't count studying (which sometimes substitutes for going to class if the Professor is bad enough. Which some are)

If Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa (authors of Academically Adrift) are even roughly correct, today’s students typically learn little in the way of critical learning or writing skills while in school.
    That's probably because you don't have any teachers at university.

Second, loan terms are invariant, with students with poor prospects of graduating and getting good jobs often borrowing at the same interest rates as those with excellent prospects (e.g., electrical-engineering majors at MIT).
    Oh hey, there's a good idea. Loans for worthless degrees should come with a warning label and higher interest rates. That way people won't be fooled as easily by the manipulative advertising of universities. Not a bad idea at all.

But even if it did, why should we give a break to this particular group of individuals, who disproportionately come from prosperous families to begin with? Why give them assistance while those who have dutifully repaid their loans get none?
    Why are students paying higher and higher rates of tuition? Better yet, why should students pay for the primary research that goes on at universities at all? It's not like tuition is used to cover textbooks, food, and residence.

Rather, a group of predominantly rather spoiled and coddled young persons, long favored and subsidized by the American taxpayer, are complaining that society has not given them enough — they want the taxpayer to foot the bill for their years of limited learning and heavy partying while in college.
    Students are paying more and getting less out of degrees than ever before. Period, end of story. They are complaining, and they should be.
    And loans don't pay for "heavy partying". Unless they are massively larger than the Ontario student loans here in Canada, they won't even cover tuition, residence, and food. It does sound like beautiful rhetoric, though, doesn't it? Someone that skilled in writing MUST know what they're talking about.

I'm very fortunate that my $50,000 education came without loans, or I would be saddled with debt.

And what, exactly did I pay for?

I’m starting to get the idea a 4 year college diploma in 2011 is about the equivalent of a high school diploma in the 60s and 70s.

I paid off 30% of my student loan the hard way. Three years in the Army and they "forgave" 10% per year. I just used my tax refunds to pay off the rest. Of course I graduated in '66 and "only" owed around $5k. But that was a good year's salary back in '66.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Wait...I thought it wasnt a choice? Im not so sure about this: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/17...ses-questions/

^ No comment - don't even get me started on that one......

Slick piece of writing...doesnt want to suggest anything illegal with this "dark practice" http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2011/.../?iid=HP_River

Ill take the opposite attitude. Assuming its all legal...I think any company is stupit to pay one dollar more than needed. Why some supposedly moral driven thinking around taxes? For a corporation...and even for us...its an expense like any other? Do we whip ourselves when we buy some item at reduced cost from someone else? Of course not.
    So long as our tax system is filled with all the convoluted stuff...expect this sort of thing. Maybe Cain has an idea worth considering huh?

^^^^If you want to look at the poster child for tax planning...do a search on Google...and how it saves a pile of $. P&G is chickenfeed.

All this is no different than us keeping a record of charitable donations in the end. More $ but still the same concept. Its legal.

Ive mentioned the Post Office deal before. Here we go: http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/18/news...m?iid=HP_River

Are they entitled to the increase? Of course.
    This is going to be a huge mess before its done. We have Congress and the President telling the Post Office how to fix things...crafting legislation because the Congress and the President are so accomplished at running a business (cough) and the Postal Union...apart from the legislation have hired an expert to protect their part of things.. Same guy that put together the GM restructure.
    This wont be easy....no matter what Congress may think.
    BTW...I read some of the things the expert representing the workers and he has some good ideas...along the lines of expanding the business model.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 10-19-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Heh...maybe after government restructures the Post Office...well have a winner like this dog: http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.htm...M&iid=HP_Last5

But wait...Chevy makes that electric Edsel now...so our investment has been really worth it. Isnt the market cap just about what we have invested?

I guess thats all she wrote: Moammar Gadhafi is dead, according to reports on Arab media. CNN has not confirmed the reports.

I wonder if he was read his miranda rights before they shot him in the head…

We knew this was coming...End of Iraq http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/21/world/...html?hpt=hp_c1

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    We knew this was coming...End of Iraq http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/21/world/...html?hpt=hp_c1
    Of course, much like Christmas - the election is "Just around the corner"......