Page 4 of 1673 FirstFirst 1234567814541045041004 ... LastLast
    Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪
    All of this high talk about the Geneva Convention . Well, although not a legal scholar, I'm wondering if the handling of a former Head of State gets identical treatment...

Nevertheless, article 15 of the Geneva Convention applies here:
    Article 15

The Power detaining prisoners of war shall be bound to provide free of charge for their maintenance and for the medical attention required by their state of health.

Article 19

Prisoners of war shall be evacuated, as soon as possible after their capture, to camps situated in an area far enough from the combat zone for them to be out of danger.
    I personally think that it is manifestly obvious that the proceedure under which the former President of the Iraqi Republic was going was indeed a Medical Examination, showing that he is being treated humanely. If your opinion is that his appearance is a disgrace, that is a personal opinion. He was not dressed up in a pink negligee', he was not paraded around in public to derisive jeering... he was, in accordance to the Geneva Convention, removed immediately from the Danger Zone, and given Medical Treatment.

I don't think that it is the responsibility of the current Iraqi Regime to make him look dapper and well kept... not is it that of the U.S. Armed Forces.

On the other hand... the Geneva Convention requires of its signatories another act;
    Prisoners of war may only be transferred by the Detaining Power to a Power which is a party to the Convention and after the Detaining Power has satisfied itself of the willingness and ability of such transferee Power to apply the Convention. When prisoners of war are transferred under such circumstances, responsibility for the application of the Convention rests on the Power accepting them while they are in its custody.
    So all of you folks worried about what may happen to Saddam in the hands of the new Iraqi Courts... rest assured that his rights under the G.C. must still be observed.

Maybe you missed the airing of our POW's on ALJAZEERA and how much people (especially rumsfeld) got pissed off, but nothing now that the tables are turned. FYI: It is the airing of the prisoner on international television that is degrading, not the examination itself.
    I live by cost/benefit. You call me cheap but I think of myself as thrifty.

Asrock 775DUAL-VSTA+Pentium D 805 @3.67, (2)Asrock K7V3M+Duron @166x6

"We must become the change we wish to see in the world." -Gandhi

It's amazing that anyone would put "humiliation" or "degrading behavior" on such a high level of concern for a man resposible for hundreds of thousands of deaths. Quote all the laws and conventions you want, he's being treated fairly.

I felt a pang (just a pang, mind you) of concern for the chump when he crawled out of his rat hole, because he looked so down-trodden and washed out. But that was his own doing.

To compare his treatment to the POW's on AlJazeera may be fair, but I couldn't give a dang. Those were our guys, so I got pissed off just like Rummy did. It's no different than feeling a little more concern for your team's quarterback going down than the other team's quarterback. I don't see a dang thing wrong with taking sides.

His capture has already lead to major improvements around the globe.

Libya is bailing out of weapons programs.
    We got great information out his briefcase.
    The stock market went up a couple hundred points.
    We snagged a few million dollars worth of AlQaeda heroin in the Persian Gulf (probably unrelated).
    The people in Iraq are seeing a clearer future.

Those are the things that really matter.

HAHAHA, alright dutchy, as long as all is well for you, nothing else matters.
    I live by cost/benefit. You call me cheap but I think of myself as thrifty.

Asrock 775DUAL-VSTA+Pentium D 805 @3.67, (2)Asrock K7V3M+Duron @166x6

"We must become the change we wish to see in the world." -Gandhi

Originally posted by jimzinsocal on 12-10-2003 at 01:00 PM
    Well guys? Its crying time again.
    I just read all this hogwash and it brought a tear to my eyes.

Im glad Im not a judge Were supposed to be "tuned in and sympathetic" to the mental condition of this waste of skin.

My cross examination would be simple and efficient:

"Can you tie your shoes?"
    "Yes your honor"
    My reply?
    "See ya!"

Next?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/10/sp...ial/index.html IMHO
    Yeah, and I have an idea for the sentencing phase:

Put the ba-st-ar-d in the school Lobby at The Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis in a good ole' fashioned 2kv "Electric Chair" and light his worthless- up like a Christmas Tree!!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105095,00.html

It's a law school anyway - they need some first hand experience with capitol punishment.

I think that would be the "Politically correct" thing to do!!!!
    "Walk Heavy, Stand Tall, Carry a Big Stick"
    Daily Driver - ASUS CROSSHAIR Atholn 64 X2 6400+ - Liquid Cooled
    A/V Mastering & Processing - ASUS A8N32-SLI Opteron 180
    Print/File Server - ASUS A7V880 XP-3200 Barton
    System Specifications

I like that idea!!^^

Now here is one I found this morning....I guess we just cant please everyone. Mind you...I understand the position these folks represent...but really....a positive move is taken as a reward? Maybe this a lesson in how self serving world politics is:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa...bya.lockerbie/

Idiot of The Week

Last edited by jimzinsocal; 12-21-2003 at 08:40 AM.

Originally posted by jimzinsocal on 12-21-2003 at 06:36 AM I like that idea!!^^

Now here is one I found this morning....I guess we just cant please everyone. Mind you...I understand the position these folks represent...but really....a positive move is taken as a reward? Maybe this a lesson in how self serving world politics is:
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa...bya.lockerbie/
    Of particallar nauseating rhetoric are the closing paragraphs of the article - and I quote: "U.S. Rep. Edward Markey (D-Massachusetts) criticized what he saw as double standards in the Bush administration's policy of downplaying the importance of inspections in Iraq before the war but welcoming them in Libya's case.

"I welcome the president's decision to rely on International Atomic Energy Agency inspections to ensure that Moammar Gadhafi lives up to this new agreement. However, this is difficult to reconcile with the administration's previous ridicule of IAEA inspectors in Iraq," Markey said.

"President Bush started a war in Iraq on the grounds that, according to his administration, the anytime-anywhere IAEA inspection process was a joke. ... American soldiers are now dying daily in Iraq because the United States deemed the IAEA's search for weapons of mass destruction to be totally unworthy of support," he added."

How can this moron (Markey) compare the UN sanctioned Inspections imposed upon Iraq AFTER Desert Storm and the Kuwait occupation to new Weapons Inspections in Libya?????

For some twisted reason, I just don't see any parallels.
    System Specifications

"Oh yeah...I forgot about the razors and hacksaw blade in my shoe"

Idiot. Take him to the beach and tell him to swim....toward England.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,106396,00.html

That's just weird, makes me wonder why he had a razor and hacksaw blade in his shoe in the first place.
    Definately a bonehead move.
    "It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

How the hell do you "forget" something like that? Jesus...."sorry about the machine gun....doh...I forgot"

Well a razor and hacksaw blade aren't exactly the same as a machine gun but it seems higly unlikely he forgot they were there.
    I want to know why the heck he had them in his shoe. I mean a hacksaw blade in his shoe wtf?
    "It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    heat

Originally posted by DHutson on 12-22-2003 at 02:42 PM
    Well a razor and hacksaw blade aren't exactly the same as a machine gun but it seems higly unlikely he forgot they were there.
    I want to know why the heck he had them in his shoe. I mean a hacksaw blade in his shoe wtf?
    Awe C'mon guys - cut this dude some slack. There must be hundreds of good reasons to carry a hack saw blade in your boot.

I can think of a few right now:

Scanario 1: Let's say you were in a hurry to get into the terminal and fought through the holiday traffic and parking snarls, pull your bags out of the trunk, make sure you have cell phone, deal with screaming kids and you simply forget and lock your keys in your car. The answer here is simple, keep the hack saw blade in your boot for the entire trip and when you land, go to baggage claim, get your things, ride the tram to the parking lot and Violla!!!! You break into your car with the handy dandy hack saw blade - no need to call AAA and wait for the guy in the tow truck or a locksmith.

Scenario 2: Ok, you have 10 minutes to board you plane and you just "Gotta Go" (a monster greasy coffee sh!t has worked its way down and isn't going to wait another minute) so you ask someone to watch your carry on bags, and quickly dash to the sh!thouse. You quickly "Grunt one out", wipe and flush (many airports have IR sensors and auto-flush) pull up pants, tighten up belt and then find the latrine door is jammed (could happen to anybody). What to do???? Simple, you hack saw your way out in less than 3 minutes and still make your flight.

So, you see there are some very good reasons for this.
    Last edited by SteveW; 06-27-2004 at 11:24 PM.
    System Specifications

Sounds like that Liar Guy from SNL. Yeah....thats the ticket

Steve... you got a side job workin' for Johnny Cochran you haven't told us about?