Page 601 of 1904 FirstFirst ... 10150155159159759859960060160260360460561165170111011601 ... LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,015 of 28555
  1. #9001
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,682

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day


  2. #9002
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,682

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    This is so funny. For guys that ever lived in NY or have to tackle parking in a big city....

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/fa...nt&oref=slogin

  3. #9003
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,682

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day



    Rolleyes Video Of The Week

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sucTvv-TXRw


    Gotta wonder what the good Defense Minister was seeing....thru the lenscaps.

  4. #9004
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,682

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day



    Maybe we should send this along to Charleton Heston so he can
    have "Planet if The Apes" dreams that haunt him

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...201007_pf.html
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 02-24-2007 at 02:37 PM.

  5. #9005
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,682

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post


    Maybe we should send this along to Charleton Heston so he can
    have "Planet if The Apes" dreams that haunt him

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...201007_pf.html
    Orang can correct me if Im wrong...but reading around this is more significant than we might think.
    I even think some scientists have tightened up the "time" difference between us and these critters.


    More

    http://www.livescience.com/animalwor...p_hunters.html
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 02-24-2007 at 02:55 PM.

  6. #9006
    Joined
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8,887

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Orang can correct me if Im wrong...but reading around this is more significant than we might think.
    I even think some scientists have tightened up the "time" difference between us and these critters.


    More

    http://www.livescience.com/animalwor...p_hunters.html
    Most current thinking I've seen puts 5-7 mya at our divergence, with bonobos/ chimps at about 1 mya and humans/neanderthals at 500kya. About 50 to 70kya there was a population bottleneck with humans that resulted in our current genetic uniformity. But I digress. The hunting with spears would be an incredible thing that would be a great example of what we might have done long ago. It could also signal that chimps may be going along similar lines as we've done. Pretty interesting stuff. Of course, I love primates so I may just find it more interesting because of that. Here's Discovery News' story on things:

    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/0...19-502-ak-0000


    Feb. 23, 2007 Researchers have witnessed a chimpanzee skewering a lemur-like creature for supper, but it's unclear whether the spectacle was a bit of luck or an indication that chimps have a more advanced ability to hunt than was thought.

    A team led by Iowa State University anthropology professor Jill Pruetz witnessed the spearing of a bushbaby in Fongoli, Senegal, during an observation of chimpanzees from March 2005 to July 2006. In a study being released Thursday in the online version of the journal Current Biology, Pruetz documents 22 cases of chimps using spear-like tools to hunt bushbabies a small primate that lives in hollow branches or tree trunks.

    "It's not uncommon to have chimps use tools. But to use them in the context of hunting" is nearly unheard of, she said.

    Pruetz said the practice is most common among adolescent females, ages 10 to 13, which must compete against physically superior males.

    "It's a way of accessing protein or meat that is a creative solution to this problem," she said.

    Pruetz said the chimpanzees stripped leaves from tree branches and modified the tip with their incisors, "effectively making a point." Then the chimpanzees jabbed the tool into a cavity to snag a bushbaby.

    Her Iowa State graduate students continue to observe other emerging patterns among chimpanzees in Senegal.

    "In a million years I never would've predicted that I would've seen (hunting)," she said. "I'm going to plug along and see what unfolds."

    Only once did researchers observe a chimpanzee extracting a bushbaby by using a spear, and that has some scientists questioning whether the chimp was actually hunting.

    Chimpanzees commonly use sticks to fish for food, such as termites, said Ian Gilby, a postdoctoral fellow who studies chimpanzee hunting at Harvard University.

    "You frequently see chimps sticking sticks into holes or trees, so they can make the hole bigger so they can put their arm in," said Gilby, who hadn't read the study.

    Gilby said he's seen this tactic used to get honey and small birds from holes in his work in Gombe, Tanzania.

    "If it's clear they're making a point" on a branch tip, he said, then that "does appear to be slightly different from what we see at other sites."

    David DeGusta, an assistant professor of anthropological sciences at Stanford University, lauded Pruetz's work because of the rarity of studying chimpanzees outside Gombe, where renowned researcher Jane Goodall did her work. It's hard to get animals accustomed to human presence and willing to carry on naturally, DeGusta said.

    "The more populations that are studied, the more we learn about how their behavior can vary," said DeGusta, who also hadn't read the study.

    Pruetz's study was funded by Iowa State University and the National Geographic Society.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

  7. #9007
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,682

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Cool stuff in the Discovery piece^^^

  8. #9008
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    Most current thinking I've seen puts 5-7 mya at our divergence, with bonobos/ chimps at about 1 mya and humans/neanderthals at 500kya. About 50 to 70kya there was a population bottleneck with humans that resulted in our current genetic uniformity. But I digress. The hunting with spears would be an incredible thing that would be a great example of what we might have done long ago. It could also signal that chimps may be going along similar lines as we've done. Pretty interesting stuff. Of course, I love primates so I may just find it more interesting because of that. Here's Discovery News' story on things:

    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/0...19-502-ak-0000
    Go**am dirty apes!
    "The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church"[Ferdinand Magellan]
    "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." [Albert Einstein]
    "With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[Physicist and Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg]

  9. #9009
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Most current thinking I've seen puts 5-7 mya at our divergence, with bonobos/ chimps at about 1 mya and humans/neanderthals at 500kya. About 50 to 70kya there was a population bottleneck with humans that resulted in our current genetic uniformity. But I digress. The hunting with spears would be an incredible thing that would be a great example of what we might have done long ago. It could also signal that chimps may be going along similar lines as we've done. Pretty interesting stuff. Of course, I love primates so I may just find it more interesting because
    I was under the impression that we may have mirrored evolution with Neandethals and out competed them. We might share a common ancestor but diversion is not the same as having a common ancestor. You may be more up to date than me on this which is why I am asking.
    "The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church"[Ferdinand Magellan]
    "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." [Albert Einstein]
    "With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[Physicist and Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg]

  10. #9010
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    A Little South of Sanity
    Posts
    12,925

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    I know a couple of Neandethals at work. We used to have a CroMagnum, but he retired. A bald headed fellow from Arkansas - we used to call him Chromus of Dome.

  11. #9011
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    A Little South of Sanity
    Posts
    12,925

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    This is all well and good - just hunkey phuking dorey.

    Limit Coal Powered Generators

    As usual, the enviromental freaks are elated - but, where is the long range plan to cover our future electricity needs?

  12. #9012
    Fluff n Stuff's Avatar
    Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪
    Joined
    May 2001
    Location
    South Seattle, Wa
    Posts
    12,389

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    From your article, Steve:
    Goldman Sachs has been one of the most aggressive firms on Wall Street about taking action on climate change; the company sends its bankers home at night in hybrid limousines.
    This drives me nuts. Not only are Hybrid Cars more polluting (overall) than gasoline cars, but they fail from a financial investment level as well. For a company held to be full of great analysts, Sachs is acting pretty stupid.

    As for the deal... yeah, it's a payoff to the 'Environmental Groups' whos plan is to reduce energy use (by you, at least) in order to more properly worship their God. Replace the missing planned energy plants? You Heretic...



  13. #9013
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    A Little South of Sanity
    Posts
    12,925

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Yeah I know - it's insane.

    It's like "We'll just put our heads in the sand with regard to future demands and growth" now that we have won the battle against those meanies and their proposed new coal fired generators.

    Personally, I think nuclear electricity generation is the only option that makes sense.

    And yes, planning more coal fires power plants is STUPID.

    However, WE NEED more electricity generation capacity and we NEED the answer and solution RIGHT NOW.

  14. #9014
    Joined
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8,887

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Quote Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
    I was under the impression that we may have mirrored evolution with Neandethals and out competed them. We might share a common ancestor but diversion is not the same as having a common ancestor. You may be more up to date than me on this which is why I am asking.
    What do you mean by "mirror evolution"?

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    This is all well and good - just hunkey phuking dorey.

    Limit Coal Powered Generators

    As usual, the enviromental freaks are elated - but, where is the long range plan to cover our future electricity needs?
    You'll notice that they speak of "old-fashioned" coal plants. Look here:

    http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/25/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

    "What we are witnessing is the beginning of the end of investments in old-fashioned coal plants," said David Hawkins, head of NRDC's climate center and a former official with the Environmental Protection Agency. "These are very big investors coming to the energy table with very big ideas about where the competitive market is heading."

    ...

    The NRDC said KKR and Texas Pacific have agreed to explore new coal technology, including coal gasification, a technology TXU deemed too unreliable to build at this time in Texas.
    You and I both know for a fact how wasteful Texans are with electricity. Hell, with resources at all. Consider places like Frisco. People need to start using less, period, regardless of whether new power plants are constructed.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Yeah I know - it's insane.

    It's like "We'll just put our heads in the sand with regard to future demands and growth" now that we have won the battle against those meanies and their proposed new coal fired generators.

    Personally, I think nuclear electricity generation is the only option that makes sense.

    And yes, planning more coal fires power plants is STUPID.

    However, WE NEED more electricity generation capacity and we NEED the answer and solution RIGHT NOW.
    True. We need more nuclear plants and alternative energy plants. But we especially need people to be more self-sufficient. One of our problems is that we rely on this outdated notion of building a central plant and stringing electricity out from there to the country. We need to move away from such centralization and toward buildings that collect/generate/reuse their own resources like water and electricity.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

  15. #9015
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    A Little South of Sanity
    Posts
    12,925

    Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    True. We need more nuclear plants and alternative energy plants. But we especially need people to be more self-sufficient. One of our problems is that we rely on this outdated notion of building a central plant and stringing electricity out from there to the country. We need to move away from such centralization and toward buildings that collect/generate/reuse their own resources like water and electricity.
    Yes indeed.

    I'm all for ethanol too.

    What I'm not for is some braindead emotional argument that takes the shape of the "Old school establishment" -vs- "The enviromentally conscious".

    When things degrade to that type of contest EVERYONE loses.

    We need solutions - planned solutions - TODAY.

    Right now. Both side of the argument need to be given consideration - the future, business/growth and the environment.

    What irks me to now end is that somehow things denegrate to "Growth -vs- The environment" dabates and battles.

    Bull$hit.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •