Page 991 of 1904 FirstFirst ... 4918919419819879889899909919929939949951001104110911491 ... LastLast
Results 14,851 to 14,865 of 28555

Re: Rolleyes News of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    There is a God. Now I wont have to see their ads anymore with that smiling simpleton "Bob"

http://www.examiner.com/a-1236879~Enzyte_Maker_Found_Guilty_of_Fraud.html?cid=rss-Top_News
    I see Ace caught this one as well.

Bye Bob. Now you have a "sackfull" of trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwkhHhY7KOI

Man it takes all kinds..
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080220/...xx2AgTUzis0NUE
    SYDNEY (Reuters) - A cheeky artist who uses his ••••• as a brush has entered a racy self-portrait for Australia's top art prize.

Australian Tim Patch, who calls himself Pricasso, usually exposes his talents at sex product fairs around the world, but has decided to go upmarket by entering a painting for Australia's Archibald Prize -- the nation's top award for portraiture.

In a unique painting style, Patch does not use paint brushes, but his ••••• to apply paint to the canvas.

"I had to use my bum to paint in the background, because you have to have the occasional break," Patch told the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper on Wednesday.
    We probably could of gone all day without me
    posting this, but I just couldn't believe what I
    read at first..

Quote Originally Posted by no2guncntrl View Post
    Man it takes all kinds..
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080220/...xx2AgTUzis0NUE

We probably could of gone all day without me
    posting this, but I just couldn't believe what I
    read at first..

Some strange one's out there huh?

Ha, that was great, but did you see this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo9BEHteACk&NR=1

USSR ‘secret' Vietnam soldiers speak out
    Russian veterans have gathered to mark the anniversary of America’s withdrawal from the Vietnam War. More than 3,000 Soviet soldiers fought in the conflict despite years of government denials that they were ever involved.

It was America’s longest and most divisive war, with almost 60,000 young men dead in a conflict that killed more than five million on all sides.

Most still think of Vietnam as a war the U.S. and its South Vietnamese allies fought against the North.

But Soviet Union’s men were there, too, doing their part to advance the spread of communism. They are some of the Soviet Union’s forgotten soldiers, veterans of a war their government denied involvement in for almost twenty years.

It was only after the regime collapsed in 1991 that officials admitted more than 3,000 Soviet troops fought against the Americans in Vietnam.

Now, some of these old soldiers are together again to mark the 35th anniversary of the U.S. withdrawal.

“Officially we were known as a group of Russian military experts. The commander was referred to simply as the senior expert. Thus, technically, there were no Russian units in Vietnam. The only thing we knew was that we were Soviet people, Soviet soldiers, and that we had to do whatever it took to stop air raids, which is what we did,” Nikolay Kolesnik, Vietnam veteran, remembers.

Soviet expertise played a vital part in training Vietnamese forces and Soviet anti-aircraft missiles to inflict heavy damage on American planes.

Those who fought alongside the Russians say it’s difficult to overestimate the impact they had.

“The Soviet Union was a huge help in the war. We have a lot of respect for Russian equipment and Russian experts. Their equipment was better than what the Americans had. That’s why we were able to win,” Lee Cong Niem, Vietnam veteran, said.

Saturday's ceremony was a chance for the next generation of soldiers to meet the men who have done it all before and for a grateful nation to thank the veterans who were its unsung allies for so long.

For years, those were the men who ‘weren’t there’, veterans of a war their government said they never fought in. Now, thirty-five years after the last of them left the jungles of Vietnam they can properly commemorate their part in one of the 20th century’s most significant conflicts.

http://www.russiatoday.ru/news/news/21019

video

To bad the Chinese weren’t invited it could have been a full-blown reunion comrade.
    Last edited by tucker; 02-23-2008 at 06:25 PM.

^^ I believe that. Anytime Ivan can mess us up
    without it being way out wide open, he'll do it.

I never thought and still don't think we lost the
    the campaign. We didn't win, but I don't feel we lost.
    Hanoi does't know how lucky it was that Nixon stopped
    the saturation bombing.

In fact I think if this had continued, Hanoi
    would of sued for peace very soon.
    They were getting HAMMERED ! I don't
    think we should of gone in Viet Nam
    the same as I don't think we should of
    gone into Iraq..But what's done is done
    and now we have to finish it.
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 02-23-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by no2guncntrl View Post
    ^^ I believe that. Anytime Ivan can mess us up
    without it being way out wide open, he'll do it.

I never thought and still don't think we lost the
    the campaign. We didn't win, but I don't feel we lost.
    Hanoi does't know how lucky it was that Nixon stopped
    the saturation bombing.

In fact I thing if this had continued, Hanoi
    would of sued for peace very soon.
    They were getting HAMMERED ! I don't
    think we should of gone in Viet Nam
    the same as I don't think we should of
    gone into Iraq..But what's done is done
    and now we have to finish it.
    I hear what you’re saying.

The Vietnam War is old news but it’s still an open wound for some folks. I guess it always will be until the last of the Vietnam Veterans are dead and gone.

How taxes work. I hadnt seen this in awhile

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten is $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:
    The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay $1.
    The sixth would pay $3.
    The seventh would pay $7.
    The eighth would pay $12.
    The ninth would pay $18.
    The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.
    So, that’s what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. “Since you are all such good customers,” he said, “I’m going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20.” Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.
    The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his ‘fair share?’ They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody’s share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man’s bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:
    The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
    The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
    The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
    The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
    The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings) .
    The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).
    Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. “I only got a dollar out of the $20,” declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man,” but he got $10!” “Yeah, that’s right,” exclaimed the fifth man. “I only saved a dollar, too. It’s unfair that he got ten times more than I!” “That’s true!!” shouted the seventh man. “Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!” “Wait a minute,” yelled the first four men in unison. “We didn’t get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!” The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.
    The next night the tenth man didn’t show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn’t have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill! And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

How taxes work. I hadnt seen this in awhile
    Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten is $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:
    The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay $1.
    The sixth would pay $3.
    The seventh would pay $7.
    The eighth would pay $12.
    The ninth would pay $18.
    The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.
    So, that’s what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. “Since you are all such good customers,” he said, “I’m going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20.” Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.
    The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his ‘fair share?’ They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody’s share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man’s bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:
    The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
    The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
    The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
    The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
    The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings) .
    The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).
    Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. “I only got a dollar out of the $20,” declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man,” but he got $10!” “Yeah, that’s right,” exclaimed the fifth man. “I only saved a dollar, too. It’s unfair that he got ten times more than I!” “That’s true!!” shouted the seventh man. “Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!” “Wait a minute,” yelled the first four men in unison. “We didn’t get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!” The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.
    The next night the tenth man didn’t show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn’t have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill! And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
    lol, but since when has the government reduced the cost the way the bartender did? I don't mean taxes, I mean spending.

Leaving the country is not like finding another bar unless they want to go to a bar that cost more (more taxes taken). My point is this country is not bad compared to others. At least when I look at the tax rates of other countries and compare it to the ability to make money in the marketplace...

...so I say let them go to another bar and see how fast they come back!
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

^^Ha. I know. Its sorta on the silly side.

Now this. More fear mongering from republican attack dogs that work for Bush alarmists:

On Wednesday, USA Today added giant snakes to the equation, using the frightening imagery of Burmese pythons -- which can grow in size to 20 feet and 250 pounds -- roaming America if citizens don't immediately change their wicked carbon dioxide emitting ways (emphasis added, h/t NBer Brau):
    As climate change warms the nation, giant Burmese pythons could colonize one-third of the USA, from San Francisco across the Southwest, Texas and the South and up north along the Virginia coast, according to U.S. Geological Survey maps released Wednesday.
    [...]
    Two federal agencies - the USGS and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - are investigating the range of nine invasive snakes in Florida, concerned about the danger they now pose to endangered species. The agencies are collecting data to aid in the control of these populations.
    They examined Burmese pythons first and, based on where they live in Asia, estimated where they might live here. One map shows where the pythons could live today, an area that expands when scientists use global warming models for 2100.
    "We were surprised by the map. It was bigger than we thought it was going to be," says Gordon Rodda, zoologist and lead project researcher. "They are moving northward, there's no question."

I have great respect for guys like this. I wish there were pics attached to the article. Back in CT I recall watching about the one remaining guy do this work.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1239155~Creole_Craftsman_Helps_Rebuild_N_O_.html?cid=rss-Top_News

Dutch can comment. The closest Ive seen is guys that skim coat drywall.[in recent years]
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 02-24-2008 at 01:40 PM.

^^^ Respect for skills and talent is fitting.

Here's a little secret when it comes to the building trades... just about every "lost art" is practiced today. The reason most people don't see 'em is 'cause they aren't hanging out with people willing to pay for 'em and most of those people don't cotton to having their homes made public through magazines, TV shows, etc.

Up here we have have some craftsmen that do pretty outrageous stuff and when the right clients come along, they all get happy and very busy...

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Hey! That's the kind of ornamental work I used to do! Well, before the scaffolding fell. They forgot to mention one facet: You have to learn how to make the tools. You can't buy a repeating roller in the stores... and so far as I know (been out of it for a while) nobody makes them, OR the trowels to order.

I can't imagine the guys in New Orleans doing that... we did one job in Texas, on the Gulf Coast. Hot and 100% humidity. I don't know if you understand how that changes the way you work with plaster, but up in Seattle and especially down in the California Desert (like Hemet, Thousand Palms, etc.) the dry air helps dry the plaster... you can control a lot by spraying on water while you work. But you can count on the fact that the dry sub-strate would 'suck' the plaster into it's pores, making for a very strong bond. That job in Texas su... uh, wasn't a winner for us. Had to re-do the ceiling a couple of times. ♪Fun♫ fun ♫fun♪. I could go on for hours about that subject... GOD it was empowering to look at a place and say "I did that."

But the new stuff coming out... fancy composit trim by the yard, CnC cut finials, etc... very few people want to pay for the fancy hand-done work. It's out there, but it's rare. And after the landing, I'm not allowed by the State to do that kind of work; I'm pre-broken, so I can't get insurance for that, and thus, no bond. I do it for the Church, and for buddies if their house is an old one that needs repair.

Still have my tools.

Zimbabwe Leader Celebrates 84th Birthday

BEITBRIDGE, Zimbabwe (AP) — President Robert Mugabe vowed [on] Saturday that "there will never be regime change" as he celebrated his 84th birthday at a rally ahead of elections next month.

The bash in the southern town of Beitbridge on the border with South Africa cost 3 trillion Zimbabwe dollars — the equivalent of about $250,000 at the dominant black market exchange rate.

Opponents blame Mugabe for an economic meltdown that has left Zimbabwe with acute shortages of gasoline, hard currency, food and most basic goods. The official rate of annual inflation rose to 100,580 percent in January — the highest in the world.

Mugabe, who has ruled Zimbabwe since its independence from Britain in 1980 [IT HAD ACTUALLY BEEN INDEPENDENT SINCE 1965], lashed out at the country's "enemies" who have criticized his presidency, including the U.S. and Britain.

"There will never be regime change here ... Never," he said [on] Saturday.
    Living proof that only the good die young.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...Hrc3wD8V09TPO0