Getting broadband cable w/o having cable tv

Anyone ever done this? I assume it can be done, the problem is that when we got Satellite tv we took out all of our cable tv wires. I assume they would have to put a new cable wire back to the house. Anyone have any idea what this would set me back? I'm just looking into others experience in doing this.

Well Comcast can do a full instalation for about $100 so that's probably how much it will set you back. And Yes you can get Cable Internet w/o Cable TV, but it will usually cost a little more.

What ISP are you considering?

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

you get always get DSL

I have DSL right now. But my price went to 52$ (for 1500-128), but at the most i'm getting 900 down (I was getting 1200 down for the first couple months). I was going to look at Earthlink or Roadrunner. A friend of mine who lives very close (about .5 miles) has RR and gets about 3300kb Down, so i'm thinking RR. I'm not all that concerned with dealing with tech people, but of course don't want a lot of downtime. I'm in southern CA for those wondering.

Ok, I think you're getting this wrong, or maybe I'm interpreting it wrong:

Cable internet uses a NORMAL cable outlet to connect. I think you just mean how much would it cost to get something like that installed, so if that's the case, it usually varies from company to company.

Our company did it for 25 bucks...but the cable outlet we needed installed was right beside a garage, which is right beside where all the connections go. It shouldn't be too much, just ask the company you are getting cable internet from, and they should do it. We get our internet and cable TV from one company, and it's only like 100 bucks a month total...=)
    Got plenty of disk space now...might need more soon though ^_^

Join the Fragging Frogs..a great group of casual gamers that support all games

Originally posted by gijoe5338 on 12-11-2003 at 09:52 PM
    you get always get DSL
    DSL is only good if your close to the CO

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Why did you take out all your cable wire?

You could also use a satellite splitter which lets you run both Satellite and cable TV thru the same wire ....I assume you can run internet through it too.
    A7N8X Dlx./2500 Barton/Bios 1007 10.5x 215mhz @2.3Ghz
    PC3200 Kingston VR 512MG, 2.5t,3,3,8 v2.7, v2.75 vcore
    Silent Boost HSF/CPU 19c+ambient@idle
    Gainward GF3 Ti200 Mk2001SE 10237 (245/500)/SB Live
    80 & 120 Gig WDse
    BenQ DW1620 DVD-R, Lite-on 52x CD-R

Originally posted by R. Vanderlow on 12-11-2003 at 07:44 PM
    Why did you take out all your cable wire?

You could also use a satellite splitter which lets you run both Satellite and cable TV thru the same wire ....I assume you can run internet through it too.
    We took out the wires when we took out our carpet (which they were previously hidden under).

You could always just have them install the incoming cable into the house and then run the wire to your computer your self, that way you can do it how you want it, instead of letting them drill holes in your floors. Also, if switching from satellite is an option, charter bought my parents dish and gave them like 3 months free, and like 6 months discounted.

Yes, I have cable internet service without cable tv with Time-Warner. I have a satellite receiver for television. I'm guessing they will be more than happy to set you up.
    GA-7N400 PRO
    Barton 2500@3200
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Windows XP
    2X256 Mushkin 3500 II DDR Dual Ch
    Tornado w/ Thermalright SLK800 HS
    Antec True 550 PS
    Thermaltake Xaser II
    No Pets
    WOW! I could have had an Epox!