PSU HELP for OCing an A64

Looking for a psu for my next rig. There's a few I'm considering:Seasonic S12-500, Enermax EG701AX, Coolermaster RS-550 ALCY, Silverstone ST-52F, Thermaltake W0057.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...:13789&bop=and
    Obviously looking at dual 12v rails + active pfc, want a strong quiet high efficiency/low heat making psu.
    I'm going to use my current memory and hdd + possibly a seagate 7200.7 hdd. A single pci-e graphics card mb. If I only have one pci-e card and I do want to oc this Venice can I go with a psu that has less than 35amps on the 12v rails?
    I like the seasonics except the voltages seem to run a little low in them. The Enermax has better amperage might be more loud, decent efficiency, tight voltage regulation. The Coolermaster is close to the Enermax. I really like the sleeved cables on the Thermaltake and Silverstone. The ST-52F seems like a really strong unit too.
    Too many choices and not sure which way to go.

Re: PSU HELP for OCing an A64

If it helps, I've got the 535w SLI Enermax (EG565P-VE), and it's close to silent even with the fan turned all the way up. In fact, I've been doing a few mods, and been using it out of the computer, and turned it on and then not realized it was running it was so quiet.

Astaroth

Quote Originally Posted by johnjv
    Obviously looking at dual 12v rails + active pfc, want a strong quiet high efficiency/low heat making psu.
    If you want that, go for Seasonic S12 500W, I got one and its super quiet. I have no problems with it whatsoever and its efficiency makes it run cooler...

Arrow Vote for Enermax!

I am an Enermax fan!

Keep it coming-----
    Thanks guys, xcobra you've got the same lbbe+hs I've got plus my 7200.7 is 80 too. How high does that cpu go, you're not running stock with that mb are you? Read that the s12's ran a little low on the 12 and ?5v. I know those psu's aren't ovens.
    Astaroth125 if the 565 handles that rig I'm sure it could handle whatever I'm planning unless the RadeonXpress has issues and I jump on it too fast. It's got 36A on the 12v and 32A each on 12 and 5 Is it a heater like my current Antec 380s is? Like the price. ATX2.01 calls for 33A on the 12v right? Thats to be able to run SLI?

All the reviews say those new Enermax's AX's run tight(low ripple) and a little high on the voltage like some mb's that overclock well cause they set the cpu voltage up a little. I could be a fan soon too.

At newegg the folks that reviewed the EG495AX talk about a zapping noise at startup and buzz---bad capicators on that model / or lot? Drifting from the modular thought, the P180 might let me hide the extra stuff.
    I've got a little more time to decide, my car let me know it wants money again.
    Last edited by johnjv; 07-07-2005 at 08:18 PM.

well im stuck at 2.6. anything over that is unstable no matter what i set the vcore to. NOo im not running stock (see sig.)...my temps are aroung 36-38 idle and 40-42 under load @ stock voltage (? dunno why)....i dunno about the 12V rail and the 5v rail running low on the S12 but i think you are right. mine is around 11.94 and 4.83 according to MBM5 so it probably is running a lil low but i dont notice it....btw nice case there in your sig. got the P160 and i think thats gonna be my next one

Nice to know what the new thermalright can do. I hope my venice can do more. Thanks, and for the p180 check out techonweb.com. They shipped it for $129 it got from GA to here in less than one day, I tripped on that.
    No one else can touch the efficiency of the S12's but I might try a different kind and see if the new case can alleviate the psu heat/noise issues. That EG701AX costs too much, the SF52F looks killer, specs are real good for just one graphis card. Maybe the mailing lists I put myself on from www stores can get me a good deal on something. Still lack the motherboard and the X850 (yea right) anyways. I'll have to sell another pc to recover some of the $$

good luck!

I'm using a Tagan TG480-U01 480W PSU on my nF3 rig, and it's been greaat!

This PSU is extremely quiet, even under load temps - recently I was doing major testing for an extended period, and could barely hear the PSU with my head about a foot away from the rear of the system!

Voltages are rock-solid at all times, verified by MBM/Smartguardian.
    DFI nF4 Expert / 0406BTA Bios/ AMD64 3800+ X2 / 4 Pipe Stock Cooler / 2x1Gb OCZ5001024ELGE (UCCC) / OCZ GXS600W PSU /Lian-Li PC65b / ATi Radeon X800 / NEC ND3550 DVD/CD-RW / 2 x 160Gb Hitachi SATA RAID-O / WDC WD800JB 80Gb IDE

Biostar T-Force 560+/ RH N56BAA09 bios / AMD 4000+ Brisbane AM2 / Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro / Patriot DDR2-800 2x1Gb PDC22G6400ELK / Sapphire HD3650 / Seagate 250Gb SATA-II ST3250410AS / Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S

Well I always use multimeter

Quote Originally Posted by Blooz1
    Voltages are rock-solid at all times, verified by MBM/Smartguardian.
    cos I don't trust anything!
    For example CPUz shows Vcore=1.692 - 1.712 LOL multimeter shows 1.744.

its either OCZ PS or Seasonic... :P

OCZ's are really good according to all the reviews I've looked up about them. Those and the Zippy's, Enermax's and PCP&C are supposed to be the cream of the crop. I'd want that 520 powerstream except it's not the new atx standard and I haven't found anything about it's efficiency anywhere. Heck from the hours I've looked at all of these psu's over the last couple months, I'm tired of it.
    http://www.hardware-review.info/cat4_psu and
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1&page=1&pp=25
    have a boatload of info about a lot of power supplies and the referenced links get you to sites that have reviewed almost EVERY psu out there. When the sites I'm familiar with have matching info with others about the same units that's great. Except for too many choices
    Narrowed it down to two: my faves this week are the ENERMAX All in One Noisetaker Series EG701AX-VE SFMA for $$$ and the COOLER MASTER Real Power RS-550-ACLY for $$. Both are strong, pretty much stable and almost as efficient as the S-12's. Don't have sleeved cables, I've decided I'll take pics, use some tape to mark leads and do that myself with a < $20 kit.
    Got to get all the parts collected `cause when and if the 110 or 90nm Radeon Xpress RS480/450 or whatever mb's that I've drooled over the pics of ever come out, I'm gonna s@%t bricks.
    Thanks for sharing folks

After all the trips back to pcp&c's specials page and my newegg, svc and monarch psu search links it came down to money.
    It had to be at $100 or less because I want good graphics. My 9800XT has spoiled me rotten. Since I know I really don't need 600 watts, I let go of a couple ideas.
    I called maxpoint because I read that the EG701 even has individual rails for the 3.3 and 5v. The other dark blue one the EG495AX VEFMA 2.0 is set up just the same, has 22 inch 24pin and 4pin connectors so I know they will reach no matter what in the new case.
    Lookin' forward to 2.8Ghz