MSI K8N Neo4-F and SATAII

I need an answer from someone who uses this board and SATAII. I know it uses the VT8237 chipset, and I know there are ways to "supposedly" fix it. (like jumper settings). I was going to buy a couple K8N Neo4-F boards and the WD 160GB 3.0gb drives. Do they work backward compatible? Do you get problems at all, or do you still have to fidget with it a bit?

Jared
    http://www.jaredhudson.com

Big Kahuna Burger: Intel Core i9 9940x * ASUS X299 Deluxe II * Noctua NH-D15S w/ Chromax * 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200 * EVGA RTX 2070S XC * 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 * 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD * 2TB WD Blue SSD * 3TB Seagate Cuda Compute HDD * Universal Audio Arrow * ASUS Thunderbolt EX 3 * Sony Optiarc DVD-RW * SeaSonic Prime 750W Platinum PSU * Fractal Design R6 (Arctic) * Dual Dell U2718Q 27" 4K Ultrasharp * Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Touch * Windows 10 Pro

Re: MSI K8N Neo4-F and SATAII

Quote Originally Posted by fxscreamer
    I need an answer from someone who uses this board and SATAII. I know it uses the VT8237 chipset, and I know there are ways to "supposedly" fix it. (like jumper settings). I was going to buy a couple K8N Neo4-F boards and the WD 160GB 3.0gb drives. Do they work backward compatible? Do you get problems at all, or do you still have to fidget with it a bit?

Jared
    That's an nvidia based board, no VIA VT8237 southbridge according to MSI's website. However, in the event you do run into problems with a WD SATA-II drive, there is a jumper setting on the drive to fix the problem, as explained in the following post in the storage forum help sticky. It will have no effect on real-world performance.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...9&postcount=11