znf3 has low vdimm

just a heads up to you guys, the znf3 seems to have an issue with a low dimm voltage on stock. i was installing mine today with my 2 sticks of xms 3200ll at spd timings of 2226(before you say anything, they are v1.1 sticks, so they are capable of that). anyways, i was getting some pretty weird install problems before i noticed my vdimm was a bit too low for my liking.

so, being the voltage whore as always, i upped it to 2.7v, and everything went fine after that. i'm not saying this is a problem with the board or anything, but if your ram is on the edge as it is(like mine), then the low vdimm won't help matters.

so, if you find stuff crashing or problems with installs, first try upping the vdimm and see if that fixes it

Realizing that the memory controller is a part of the CPU, raising theV core voltage has helped me as well.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Originally posted by UncleBob on 12-27-2003 at 02:46 AM
    Realizing that the memory controller is a part of the CPU, raising theV core voltage has helped me as well.
    hmmm, oh yeah. i totally forgot about that. man, with all this new stuff, i'm going to have to really think hard if i encounter any serious problems(everything is so much different than my nf7-s)

btw, does anyone know a good program to use to check temps? like someone pointed out, digidoc causes spikes in usage, and mbm doesn't like me

What problems are you having with MBM 5? Are you using the latest version.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

nevermind, i grabbed the latest version and had to fiddle around with some of the advanced stuff. basically, when i selected a probe it jumped to 170C, but its all fixed now

curious, how hard would it be to write a plugin for mbm so it displays the temp on the display on the card reader drive

Psycho,

I use one of these with crystal control to display mbm5 temps.
    (I have the blue 4 x 20 lcd)

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products...CFAH2004ATMIJP

I have it wired up to an old printer cord. Its easy if you have basic electronic skills.

http://www.gideontech.com/guides/lcd/

crystal control rocks,

I use it to display voltages, temps, bandwidth, mem useage, winamp stats, email, game stats, etc

http://www.crystalfontz.com/software...rol/index.html

If you dont want to wire one up you can use on of these,

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/634usb/index.html

and hook it up to a usb port or a usb header on your znf3. They even have a utility to program custom boot screens and characters.
    Last edited by Craven Morehead; 12-28-2003 at 12:45 PM.

Very nice, CM!

Glad you got it up and working, GS.

Spoiler!