Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    ghuber is offline Seriously Overclocking :)

I HATE Western Digital!!

Well to sum it up.. my one WD800 started getting a Smartdrive "Imminent Failure" message.. so I RMA'd it.. received a replacement.. added it to my RAID array, was getting TERRIBLE performance.. found out my firmware was really old on the drive they sent me.. so I RMA'd the drive AGAIN.. I received a replacement, added it back into my raid0 array.. GOOD performance.. I was happy, but very shortlived.. wake up this morning (4 days after installing the drive) try to browse a website and my PC locks up.. so I reboot.. guess what Windows XP doesn't boot.. so I investigate.. guess what? The drive they sent to me is BAD AGAIN.. drive shows in the bios as being installed but I can't read from it! Western Digital is such a joke, I will simply never buy one of their drives EVER again. I am going to RMA this drive once more, if it comes back and doesn't work I am going to smash the piece of S#it! And to make things worse when I was trying to RMA the drive he second time, I emailed tech support twice and they never even replied to my message!

I HATE WESTERN DIGITAL!!
    Asus A7N8X Delxue 1.08, AMD Athlon XP 2600+/333 @ 2400 MHZ, 512MB Geil Ultra Platinum PC3500 @ 6-3-3-2, ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, RAID0 W/ (2) Western Digital 80GB 7200 RPM W/8MB Cache HD's, Maxtor 160GB 5400RPM ATA 133 HD, Thermaltake SLK-900U

whoah, hope that doesnt happen to me
    Phenom 9850 Black Edition @ 3.2GHz | Biostar 790gx | Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB | Asus Radeon HD4870 512MB | Antec NeoHe 550 | Soyo 26" lcd

Originally posted by sabrewolf732 on 01-19-2004 at 01:27 AM
    whoah, hope that doesnt happen to me
    Oh and you know the best part??? They keep sending me ••••ty "Recertified" AKA "Formly broken, hopefully fixed" drives!!
    Asus A7N8X Delxue 1.08, AMD Athlon XP 2600+/333 @ 2400 MHZ, 512MB Geil Ultra Platinum PC3500 @ 6-3-3-2, ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, RAID0 W/ (2) Western Digital 80GB 7200 RPM W/8MB Cache HD's, Maxtor 160GB 5400RPM ATA 133 HD, Thermaltake SLK-900U

your best bet may be to ebay the drive while it's still in the anti-static bag.

But if you keep frying drives it may point to something that you are doing wrong. It's that time of the year for static electricity, be careful you're not touching your drives on the circuit board or the power/data connectors. Also be sure to treat them gently, hard drives are very shock sensitive.

If you're careful with those two things then it's possibly a bad power lead or heat that's killing the drives.... or just WD (I've heard a similar story from somebody who is a PC guru).

Re: I HATE Western Digital!!

Originally posted by ghuber on 01-18-2004 at 07:20 PM
    Well to sum it up.. my one WD800 started getting a Smartdrive "Imminent Failure" message.. so I RMA'd it.. received a replacement.. added it to my RAID array, was getting TERRIBLE performance.. found out my firmware was really old on the drive they sent me.. so I RMA'd the drive AGAIN.. I received a replacement, added it back into my raid0 array.. GOOD performance.. I was happy, but very shortlived.. wake up this morning (4 days after installing the drive) try to browse a website and my PC locks up.. so I reboot.. guess what Windows XP doesn't boot.. so I investigate.. guess what? The drive they sent to me is BAD AGAIN.. drive shows in the bios as being installed but I can't read from it! Western Digital is such a joke, I will simply never buy one of their drives EVER again. I am going to RMA this drive once more, if it comes back and doesn't work I am going to smash the piece of S#it! And to make things worse when I was trying to RMA the drive he second time, I emailed tech support twice and they never even replied to my message!

I HATE WESTERN DIGITAL!!
    I am looking at your system and I am assuming that your running these drives off the Sata controller on the motherboard. Through a Pata to Sata convertor? Have you put them on a Ide channel and run the Western Digital utilty on the drive in questiion.

Re: I HATE Western Digital!!

Originally posted by ghuber on 01-18-2004 at 05:20 PM
    I HATE WESTERN DIGITAL!!

You have the right to express your opinion, but please no profanity like this!!!

:: ǪΓFεΐИз Άđdї©Ŧ /// My Website ::

WD drives are bottom of the barrel on alot of things. I would rather have a Seagate, Maxtor, IBM/HGST, or samsung drive over a WD drive (assuming similar performance).

Lol, I've never had a problem with any WD drive. I've got one that's been running 24/7 since January 2000 as well as 2 others that have been going since summer 2001.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems though. It reminds me of all the "fun" I had with my IBM Deathstar's .
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Never had any probems with Deskstars (except a 120GXP that died after 8 months)

I never trust ANY harddrives and always backup everthing, TWICE, on DVD+R/CD-R (just in case one lot of backups get destroyed/stolen/corrupted etc)

PS - some of my backups on DVD have become unreadable (even after burning verfication) - so I don't even trust them - LOL

FX-55, 2GB, 8800GTX (650/1000MHz) @ 1600x1200 NATIVE
    3WARE PCIE 9650SE-2LP --> RAPTOR 150GBx2/RAID0

Well, ok I have this it is meant for the Ibm deskstar. I think you can apply it here just remember to read the instructions thoroughly.
    Last edited by themortarman; 01-19-2004 at 07:58 AM.

Originally posted by blakerwry on 01-19-2004 at 03:39 AM
    your best bet may be to ebay the drive while it's still in the anti-static bag.

But if you keep frying drives it may point to something that you are doing wrong. It's that time of the year for static electricity, be careful you're not touching your drives on the circuit board or the power/data connectors. Also be sure to treat them gently, hard drives are very shock sensitive.

If you're careful with those two things then it's possibly a bad power lead or heat that's killing the drives.... or just WD (I've heard a similar story from somebody who is a PC guru).
    I have been building computers for almost 15 years.. doubt I am doing anything wrong. The irony of it all is that I have another WD800 in the same system, that has been running fine for over a year.. and a maxtor drive as well.. it's just these crappy "recertified" drives they keep sending me!

Re: Re: I HATE Western Digital!!

Originally posted by themortarman on 01-19-2004 at 03:52 AM
    I am looking at your system and I am assuming that your running these drives off the Sata controller on the motherboard. Through a Pata to Sata convertor? Have you put them on a Ide channel and run the Western Digital utilty on the drive in questiion.
    Yes I was using them in conjunction with a sata adapter.. I thought one of the adapters may have went bad so I put took it off and installed the drive on the normal IDE channel.. no good. The bios see's the drive, but you can't access it.. it can't read it. I ran WD's diag utility on it and it said it can't read the sectors.. (said check cable) Installed a new cable right from the packaging, nope, nada, zero luck, drive still does not work.

Funny thing is it worked fine for like a whole 4 days before it decided to bite the dust.. I bet they didn't repair it properly..

Well then only thing left is to try the IBM Deskstar repair on them>

Edit I hope you don't mind me trying to throw some humor on this. If you do then please excuse me!!
    Last edited by themortarman; 01-19-2004 at 10:08 AM.

Originally posted by themortarman on 01-19-2004 at 05:00 AM
    Well, ok I have this it is meant for the Ibm deskstar. I think you can apply it here just remember to read the instructions thoroughly.

I've always been a WD fan. They're quiet and I never had one fail--until Friday night, when one of the two Raptors in my RAID array died. I'm now going through the RMA process. Hopefully I don't have same experience. I'll let the group know.