Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    I work for a printing equipment company who mainly sells to oce ibm and xerox. I do shiipping and receiving, Unfortunately not everyone packages items very well. Some of the things I ship are extremely fragile and cost from $5,000- $10,000 PER ITEM. Taking the extra minute to package an item so it doesnt bounce around in the shipping material is essential. Do you think i trust UPS? Do you think I want to be responsible for that mistake of a broken piece by the time it gets there? I dont care if its a 3 dollar fuse everything I ship gets the same treatment (some better than others) if its broken its creates waste and causes downtime.Western digital makes no attmept to package their items decently(most oem drives come in just an anti-static bag?) they have no business sense and have no brains to eliminate waste. Not to mention their drives are so cheaply manufactured if you press on it the wrong way its ruined Seagate drives come in a plastic enclosure and im sure much less drives come from them DOA to the end user and they are SOLID DRIVES. LIke I said "WD" Crap product crap, customer service, that should be their motto. What if all manufacturers did that with their product (just put thier stuff in a plastic anti static bag) think about it your ram your processor video card, all chipped broken or messed up when you get it. but hey i think even mobo companies could do a better job packaging items, but I guess all companies dont have morals.
    Last edited by million555; 03-16-2004 at 10:57 PM.

Red face

Wd should package the drives in foam-they are shipping in fairly weak boxs RMA with only two peices of plastic to keep the drives from damage-retail-in plastic better shipping,seagate drives can withstand a bigger drop. I guess you get what you pay for-wd's are very cheap-fast and after 50hours of break end, I think you can assume the drive is not damaged by shipping. I have found the drives are half way decent and sense I run raid ten-I don't worry any more-with two backup drives-I have a lot of fun with them=610gigs

You have a great setup sun must be very reliable but
    Not everyone can afford or wants to spend 400 dollars + a raid setup on a backup plan for personal usage especially those who decide to purchase the less expensive drive with the bigger rebate. Besides what if your whole system has a power outage assuming you have no battery backup or something goes completely wrong. dvd rw's are sufficient for most and they are a definitive hard copy. As far as im concerned the hard drive is the whole computer everything else can be replaced besides your data why would you want something less expensive ( due to cheap packaging) but slightly faster (hardly even noticable to me). I dont get it, I simply cant trust wd. ALl i see on this forum is messages about doa wds and broken wds.
    Last edited by million555; 03-16-2004 at 11:22 PM.

Red face

I get a lot of gigs for the dollor with WD and I like to run the same drives for my 4 channel highpoint card 454 with bios flash which is a excellent raid card for raid 10 ide drives.I also think WD lets you RMA drives real easy-I get a new one in two days most of time and I really like my new WD Monster the 250gig PD Fluid drive model-I can not hear this drive at all in my case and are replacing all my drives with this model-maybe-they are over $200. I also buy refurbished drives too because they are very cheap and after break in-no difference from new one's-instead of cds or dvds-I just use the drives themself for backup-I used to have 10wd's but sold three. I only have 6 120gig drives and one 250gigger now with six running in the computer-the extra 120giger is a backup drive if one fails,so I can repair a failed drive right away.After setting up the raid ten it has worked perfect every day for the last four months.I hear seagate have a worse drive failure rate than wd-don't know for sure-the only way to know is to run the drives your self,a lot of people have ruined the drives though bad installation,jumpers ect-I give up on this thread-I have not had but one dead wd-
    Last edited by sunofwolf; 03-17-2004 at 12:11 AM.

Originally posted by million555 on 03-16-2004 at 08:01 PM
    ALl i see on this forum is messages about doa wds and broken wds.
    Seeing more complaints than kudos on forums has been the norm from the get-go. People's experiences vary. Please, everyone, in keeping with forum rules, lets all respect the experiences and feelings of others.

Originally posted by million555 on 03-16-2004 at 09:01 PM
    ALl i see on this forum is messages about doa wds and broken wds.
    You obviously didn't see my post in this thread: 8 WD drives since early 2002 and no failures (yet, knock on wood, hope I'm not jinxing myself).