Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    btw ... just to clear up what i said earlier about

I have a question ...... looking at the connectors I am assuming that this will not work with my soundstorm, right?

My soundstorm (excuse my lack of audio knowledge ) has a 5.1 connector that looks like an RCA jack (if that makes sence). See my sig to see what motherboard I have.

EDIT : i figured it out. I need a decoder. So forget these headphones......
    What I meant by forget these headphones, is that my onboard only has 3 analog connectors, and i need to hook a mic up somewhere. Bit since these headphones will take all 3 connectors, I am left without a place to put my mic in :O sooooo these headphones are kinda useless to me, i need a mic! Anyhow, i am ognna try to look at other headphones.

Well, this thread has warmed up a bit.
    I recently bought these headphones because I wanted some decent level of immersion into games without getting myself kicked out of my living space by using some 500watt 5.1 system. The first thing I noticed was that plugging these things into the analog out on my asus a7n8x-deluxe was a waste of time. I could hear feedback when I moved the mouse. The analog was horrible, I just never knew it. I had used headphones with this board, but really crappy ones and I never heard the feadback until I used these. I broke down and bought an audigy 2zs and after my noob burn in process they sound pretty good. I don't qualify as a grader for these, but they do not seem like junk, but I know the analog out on an nforce board is.
    Some of this is like religion, you are not going to change paoples minds, and if you do not agree, bitch and move on .
    (I now apologize for not following my own advice on several occasions)
    system1
    Antec Sonata,Shuttle AN35N Ultra,2500+ at 2200mhz 11x200 1.7v, 1 True Samsung 256/2700, WD SE 80GB, IBM Deskstar 45GB, Pioneer slot dvd,Radeon 8500, Zalman 7000a, 21 inch Phillips Brilliance 201p
    System2
    Asus a7n8x-deluxe, 2500+@2300 1.7v, 256x2 kingmax3500, hitachi sata, evga 5900, Audigy 2zs, Antec Sonata

Im interested in buying these headphones, couple of quick questions.
    How do you enable crossover?
    and
    Do any retail stores carry these?

Originally posted by a bullet on 02-10-2004 at 03:26 AM

How do you enable crossover?
    In creative drivers it is in here:

Do any retail stores carry these?
    Yes. Try online retailers first.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    AMD 2100+ ocd -to- 2.1 GHZ
    Thermalright SLK 800 HSF w/ 80mm fan
    ABIT NF7-S v2.0 ocd -to- 400 FSB
    ATI 9800 Pro 128 DDR - Retail
    1x512 DDR 400 PC 3200
    WD800JB - ATA 100 - 7200 rpm
    Audigy2 w/ Monsoon MH 505 5.1/Sennheiser HD580
    LiteOn 52x32x52 CD-RW - LiteOn 16x DVD ROM
    Windows Xp Pro - w/ Service Pack 1
    LG Flatron 777 fn-plus - CRT
    Logitech MX500 W/ RatPadzGS
    Logitech Elite Keyboard (Black)

I remember the days when I would get flamed for saying the nforce sound was inferior to creative. Seems the general consensus on that has changed. I bought a pair of these headphones biased on JM's site review. Now I don't think they deserved the 10/10 because of some obvious flaws well documented everywhere else. But the review is mostly on IMO. Like it was stated earlier, nice gimmick for $50.

What didn't you like about them?

I have never used them so can't say either way, Matt wrote the review not me...
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

Well, minor things, but I have not enabled crossover for them and I have not burned them in. Only used them for about an hour or so. I almost returned them. I guess I'm just to picky. I think the review is mostly on JM, its just when you see a 10/10 you expect something to be almost perfect. I guess I'm just spoiled by some decent speakers

"While using these headphones to replace equivalent 5.1 surround sound systems is impractical, for all intents and purposes, they are excellent for moments when you are restricted to using a headset, like deathmatching during a LAN party. Sure, you won't get the bass of a powerful howitzer ripping through your body, but you'll definitely be able to hear and quite often accurately point in the direction of where that footstep, gunshot, or any other sound came from."

"To win over home cinema enthusiasts, however, the company needs to further improve the product's sound quality. The quality of the rear effects channels and the center channel (which should be more dominant) is inferior to that of a normal multi-channel speaker system."

"However... for a retail price of ~£60 these are definately not worth the money. For £60, the sound quality is just not good enough. Yes, you get the effect, but my Sennheisers sound better by 100 times. No amount of EQ fiddling could get these Zalmans sounding to my liking."

Seems most sites are knocking the sound quality a bit, but for $50.00 I'm sure I will use them at lan's.

Just thought I'd add my thoughts on these headphones as this thread helped me make the jump to get them...

I plugged them straight into my Audigy 2 and setup a profile for them using creative's speaker utility. Without any burning in process I give them a crack on Far Cry, and they are awesome considering I paid £40 for them they're ideal.

DVD playback was OK, but not great but this is down to my DVD software not supporting a true 5.1 setup I think, so I'll purchase the update for my software (PowerDVD, does anyone recommend this?)

Music is very good, I keep it on 5.1 and don't switch it to stereo but still find it very adequate.

My speakers are creative labs P580, so on paper they're not brilliant(I beg to disagree however) and I reckon these headphones compliment my setup perfectly! Thanks for this thread...

Can't wait for Doom 3 now

Later

Dave
    P4 3.0Ghz 800 fsb with HT
    ABIT IC7 MAX 3 MAINBOARD
    1GB OCZ 400 Dual DDR RAM
    36GB Raptor SATA HDD
    80GB Seagate SATA HDD
    160GB Western Digital SATA HDD
    ASUS RADEON 9800XT 256MB
    NEC DVD WRITER
    COOLMASTER ATC 210B-AX1 CASE
    ANTEC 550W TRUECONTROL
    HITACHI CML 174SXW B
    SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY 2
    CREATIVE INSPIRE 5.1 P580 SPEAKERS
    ZALMAN 5.1 HEADPHONES

Originally posted by davewhite04 on 04-01-2004 at 04:34 AM

DVD playback was OK, but not great but this is down to my DVD software not supporting a true 5.1 setup I think, so I'll purchase the update for my software (PowerDVD, does anyone recommend this?)
    Highly recommended. I have full retail. To get the most out of those phones you should have it.

Welcome to the Forums.

It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Originally posted by davewhite04 on 04-01-2004 at 05:34 AM
    Just thought I'd add my thoughts on these headphones as this thread helped me make the jump to get them...

I plugged them straight into my Audigy 2 and setup a profile for them using creative's speaker utility. Without any burning in process I give them a crack on Far Cry, and they are awesome considering I paid £40 for them they're ideal.

Music is very good, I keep it on 5.1 and don't switch it to stereo but still find it very adequate.

My speakers are creative labs P580, so on paper they're not brilliant(I beg to disagree however) and I reckon these headphones compliment my setup perfectly! Thanks for this thread...

Can't wait for Doom 3 now

Later

Dave
    I'm glad that your happy with this headphone...

You don't need to wait for DOOM3, Get Far Cry -- 5.1 AC3, which your Audigy2 will decode -- this is the best game since Half-Life, and it has awesome sound... try it.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    AMD 2100+ ocd -to- 2.1 GHZ
    Thermalright SLK 800 HSF w/ 80mm fan
    ABIT NF7-S v2.0 ocd -to- 400 FSB
    ATI 9800 Pro 128 DDR - Retail
    1x512 DDR 400 PC 3200
    WD800JB - ATA 100 - 7200 rpm
    Audigy2 w/ Monsoon MH 505 5.1/Sennheiser HD580
    LiteOn 52x32x52 CD-RW - LiteOn 16x DVD ROM
    Windows Xp Pro - w/ Service Pack 1
    LG Flatron 777 fn-plus - CRT
    Logitech MX500 W/ RatPadzGS
    Logitech Elite Keyboard (Black)

Originally posted by IAmGhostDog on 04-01-2004 at 03:29 PM
    Highly recommended. I have full retail. To get the most out of those phones you should have it.

Welcome to the Forums.
    Thanks for the recommendation and the welcome

Originally posted by wali on 04-01-2004 at 04:18 PM
    I'm glad that your happy with this headphone...

You don't need to wait for DOOM3, Get Far Cry -- 5.1 AC3, which your Audigy2 will decode -- this is the best game since Half-Life, and it has awesome sound... try it.
    Got Far Cry, it's awesome, so is Splinter Cell to be honest. Doom 3 will be awesome at 2am with all the lights of and the headphones on full blast! Far Cry is pretty scary too like

I've thought about picking up these headphones, but it seems like there's no easy way to switch between speakers and headphones. I mean, I guess if you have your case in the middle of the floor it's not a big deal to swap. But if you have to pull your computer desk out from the wall to get to the rear of your case, it's not terribly convenient.

I'm getting an Audigy 2 ZS soon and am going to use mini-plug-to-RCA stereo cable and two camcorder cables (4-pole mini-plug to triple RCA plugs) to send analog 7.1 to my home theater setup. The only way I can see to make these headphones work would be to skip 7.1 and do 5.1 with three mini-plug-to-RCA stereo cables. Then I'd have to get three mini-plug Y-adapters and the Zalman headphone amplifier ($80), and send one set of discrete analog signals from the Audigy to my receiver and the other set to the Zalman amplifier.

So I downgrade from 7.1 output to 5.1 output, and then spend $140-$150 for the headphones/amp. Seems easier and more cost effective to just keep doing what I'm doing now...blare the 7.1 speakers until my wife yells at me, then switch to my stereo headphones. Unless I'm missing something here...if I am, please fill me in, because if it weren't for the setup issues I'm seeing I wouldn't mind giving these things a try.

Originally posted by stevenmh on 04-03-2004 at 02:53 AM
    I've thought about picking up these headphones, but it seems like there's no easy way to switch between speakers and headphones. I mean, I guess if you have your case in the middle of the floor it's not a big deal to swap. But if you have to pull your computer desk out from the wall to get to the rear of your case, it's not terribly convenient.

I'm getting an Audigy 2 ZS soon and am going to use mini-plug-to-RCA stereo cable and two camcorder cables (4-pole mini-plug to triple RCA plugs) to send analog 7.1 to my home theater setup. The only way I can see to make these headphones work would be to skip 7.1 and do 5.1 with three mini-plug-to-RCA stereo cables. Then I'd have to get three mini-plug Y-adapters and the Zalman headphone amplifier ($80), and send one set of discrete analog signals from the Audigy to my receiver and the other set to the Zalman amplifier.

So I downgrade from 7.1 output to 5.1 output, and then spend $140-$150 for the headphones/amp. Seems easier and more cost effective to just keep doing what I'm doing now...blare the 7.1 speakers until my wife yells at me, then switch to my stereo headphones. Unless I'm missing something here...if I am, please fill me in, because if it weren't for the setup issues I'm seeing I wouldn't mind giving these things a try.
    Hiya Steve,

Well these headphones are better for gaming then stereo headphones, as long as the game your playing supports EAX or surround. You are correct however as in plugging these into your soundcard everytime you wanna use them is a pain, especially if your case is hard to get at.

Dave
    Last edited by davewhite04; 04-03-2004 at 04:33 AM.

Originally posted by stevenmh on 04-02-2004 at 08:53 PM
    ...blare the 7.1 speakers until my wife yells at me, then switch to my stereo headphones.

Know all about that.
    My wife will be standing in my face.
    Hands on hips.
    "Do you mind?"
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64