View Poll Results: Which rig?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Intel.

8 16.00%
  • The AMD.

42 84.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AMD or Intel, which is right for my needs?

Hello, everyone at these forums, I have a question here on which machine I should build for myself. I am on a relatively limited budget for the time being, but it is far from a value rig. Ok, so here are some basics on what this rig will be used for. First, I do NOT want to overclock. Everything I get, I want to pop in and go, and have everything run at stock speeds. I plan on doing moderate gaming, but I also am going to do moderate multimedia work, such as moderate video and photo editing, some encoding of both audio and video. In addition, I work with Visual Studio, and I really want some responsiveness, and quicker build times, and faster general work in Visual Studio. I also would like to have my Windows install run overall faster, and the general speed improved over my current machine. I will most likely be running VISTA that comes with my MSDN subscription, but I may be running Xp, and some linux possibly on the side. Ok, so first, here are the specs of my current rig.

Intel Pentium 4A s478, 400 MHz FSB 512k L2 cache Northwood Core
    Intel 845GSVR Motherboad with 845G Chipset
    786 Mb of Generic Cheapo Brand PC 2700 RAM DDR timings are 2.5 on each (The 512 and 256)
    Genuine ATI Radeon 9200 PCI Edition 128 MB of DDR Ram.
    160 GB IDE WD Hard Drive/60 GB, both 8 MB cache edition
    Two drives which will be carried over to the other system
    Some cheapo PSU

Here is the Intel Specific Components List:

Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T Processor - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

ASUS P5GPL-X Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915PL ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Here are the AMD Specific Components:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Non Specific Components:
    SAPPHIRE 100126-BL Radeon X800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    EDIT: Found a PSU and Case.
    Antec Solution SLK1650B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Retail

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 100Vac to 240Vac +/- 10% TUV, UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC - Retail

And I also Need a PSU (A good one) That is more than 400 watts under $65. I already have a search started on a link I will present. Note: Please don't give me one with a rebate, as I may not order this for another week or two. Thanks a lot, Steve91
    Last edited by Steve91; 02-13-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Re: AMD or Intel, which is right for my needs?

Either would be nice, but have you thought about a dual core CPU? They'd certainly give you the responsiveness, and quicker build times you're after.

get amd dual core.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I can't afford dual core right now, unfortunately...

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

I may got alot of flack here, but if you are doing more video work than gaming, I'd say the Intel will give you the most bang for your buck.

I have both Intel and AMD and I game on my AMD rig and encode on my Intel rig. The higher clock speeds and the fact that most video programs are optomized for Intel gives it the edge.

Now if you're talking dual core, things even out much faster.
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

Yeah, encoding items and visual studio will see a nice gain in performance with the hyperthreading on the Intel setup. If you could get dual core, I'd recommend the AMD setup, but as it shows there, the Intel system would be good too.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Go for AMD Athlon 64 cos it has great high speed hypertransport... I never ever buy Intel.. cheaper is 3700+ San Diego plus any NF4 Ultra mobo that good one for you.

Remember Intel only has 800/1066 FSB in one way -- AMD has 1000mhz x 2 = 2GHz with hypertransport (both way with fast cycle)

I'm voting AMD because this is the AMDMB forums, not the IntelMB forums. plus, I've always hated intel because they've been way overpriced, though that isn't always the case now days. Intel makes good products, but when it still comes to value, AMD still has my vote. I can reccommend my Antec True430, if they still make them. It has powered everything I've ever connected to it

the people have spoketh

a reasonably priced AMD chip can outperform an overpriced Intel chip by a pretty decent margin. anyone who goes intel must be mentally handicaped in some way.

Nebraska Game and Parks

I've been at this a long time and I still know nothing!! High end digitized ~ analog, turkey hunter.

American Audio Nut- my gear- JBL, DBX, Revel, Thorens, Shure, Odyssey, M&K, AB International, Van Alstine, PS Audio, Pioneer, Trio, Dynaco, Integra Research, Audio Research, and JBL Pro.

What is the price difference between the two? The Intel is somewhat behind the curve, so I would suspect you'll get a good price for it. I love AMD64, but if you're doing mostly graphics Intel is better performer. Just know the AMD is much better for games.

My vote is on an Antec Sonata case. With all the digital editing, you'll want a nice quiet pc
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

A note on running Vista, the Intel will not run as fast because it does not have the extra registers of the A64. This will seriously improve the performance of the A64 when you have 64-bit programs to run. Intel will not benefit. It only supports 64-bit operation, it is not designed for it.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I thought we'd established that moving to 64 bit adds almost nothing in terms of speed anyway; Even with AMD.

If Intel chips ran Windows XP-64 worse that the 32bit version I sure we'd have heard about it by now.

I have always thought that for single core proc's...if you want great graphics and game play go AMD...for multi-tasking go Intel????and the verdict on VISTA remains yet to be seen...