Limited connectivity

Well it seems I need the help of my friends here at pcper again ! Just bought a Compaq nc4010 laptop with an Intel 2200 Wireless card and bluetooth. I had one heck of a time getting it to take the WEP key but finally it did, it had space for 24 characters and the key is 26, whats up with that ? But finally it took it. Still no connection, so I figured wtf lets turn the bluetooth adapter on with the button on the face of the laptop, maybe that will wake up the wireless. Sure enough it saw the network, excellent signal strength, but no connectivity !
    Geez how many hoops do I have to jump through ? So now I am stuck. I reset the router, everything is working except the laptop ! Is my TCP/IP stack fubar ? It connects with wired NIC but not the wireless. Thanks in advance for any suggestions !

Resolved Re: Limited connectivity

It is fixed, the laptop was fairly loaded with malware, once I cleaned that up and got rid of some toolbars the wireless all of a sudden started working ! But I was surprised at the config using the Windows wireless utility. I have loaded Linux up and had it on a wireless network in short order, very easy. Plus no malware with Linux. Plus I can load it on any computer I want. This HP laptop had a OEM key, and I did not have the disk so no way I could do a clean install. So I had to salvage this install of XP, glad I gave it one more try ! So maybe 10 hours fixing this install vs 2 hrs doing a Linux install, what does that tell you ?