Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Since this is a KDE3.2 thread.

Getting back to the subject at hand.

Here is my latest KDE3.2 Desktop on LM 10 RC2

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Gil-galad on 02-05-2004 at 05:20 PM
    I am definitely liking 3.2. It may just take the place of my beloved XFCE4--at least for now!
    I know who would of ever thought I would give up Enlightenment and/or Windowmaker and go back to KDE. LOL

But I have to agree with you I am really liking the 3.2 Also its so smooth and fast and stable, all what you want in a Session.

KDE 3.2 is a beast! I've been running the CVS HEAD version since 3 or 4 months and man, it really became a killer DE. There's still a couple of bugs here and there, but hey, this is free software and we're getting more out of KDE than Windows for a couple hundred bucks more...

Peace

They must have really put some effort into optimization this go-around. It's really just as responsive as XFCE4 (or Enlightenment, for that matter), and that's hard to do. Again, there is the whole 2.6 thing, but I'm pretty sure the Gentoo kernel I was using before had many of the same scheduling and pre-emption optimizations that 2.6 does, so KDE 3.2 is really something!
    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star / Beyond the utmost bound of human thought ... To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    --from "Ulysses", Tennyson

Originally posted by Gil-galad on 02-05-2004 at 11:27 PM
    They must have really put some effort into optimization this go-around. It's really just as responsive as XFCE4 (or Enlightenment, for that matter), and that's hard to do. Again, there is the whole 2.6 thing, but I'm pretty sure the Gentoo kernel I was using before had many of the same scheduling and pre-emption optimizations that 2.6 does, so KDE 3.2 is really something!
    Gil,

Well you've got me interested, but I'm going to have to wait to look at it. I've emerged it on my home system, but I'm out of the country on business so I can't actually *see* it for a few more days. D'oh!
    - JP Money -
    alyson (Hannigan) [XP/Gentoo]
    Athlon 64 3200+ | Shuttle SN85G4 | 1GB PC3200 | BFG 6800 OC | Dell FP1800 18" LCD
    milla (Jovovich) [Gentoo Linux]
    Sony PCG-Z1A
    liz (Phair) [FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE web/mail server]
    Athlon t-bird 1.4 Ghz | Gigabyte 7DXR | 2 GB PC2100 | Adaptec 29160 | 36 GB Seagate Cheetah 10K

Originally posted by jpmoney on 02-06-2004 at 03:46 AM
    Gil,

Well you've got me interested, but I'm going to have to wait to look at it. I've emerged it on my home system, but I'm out of the country on business so I can't actually *see* it for a few more days. D'oh!
    LOL, d'oh indeed!
    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star / Beyond the utmost bound of human thought ... To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Gil-galad on 02-06-2004 at 08:28 AM
    LOL, d'oh indeed!
    It is pretty sweet, the response time from that of 3.1 is just amazing. I always would use Enlightenment or WindowMaker but now i have Windowmaker installed but I use 3.2. Its that good!

Originally posted by 64Bit on 02-05-2004 at 10:17 PM
    No see your telling it like you think it is.

Thats the problem , please show me one INDEPENDENT review showing me proof of this.

See thats the problem with Gentoo , ITS ALL HYPE.

I have read all they HYPE on GENTOO's homepage showing THEIR benchmarks how THEIR Distro is faster than others. BS

Please if you really look at their benchmarks you are talking what " A HALF A SECOND" LOL

Next thing you know you will tell me you notice that half of a SECOND on Gentoo over Mandrake.

Get real!!!!

Bottomline: Gentoo is all HYPE, Gentoos -XFS-SOURCE kernel is the SAME SGI KERNEL used in MANDRAKE, REDHAT, FEDORA, and a few more I am sure. And since XFS is the fastest linux filesystem to date , how does this make it a GENTOO exclusive.

Look I am sorry to rant and rave. But unlike some people on here, I tell it like it is.

If you Gentoo Hypers want to believe that you have the fastest Distro out there and it makes you love your LINUX system more, than I personally have NO PROBLEM with that. But please dont tell me what ITS SO MUCH FASTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE OUT THERE. Because I know better. I dont just read alot, I do alot, I have used more Distros than the average linux user, it doesnt make me any smarter than anyone else, but at least I know which ones are faster, slower and which ones are horrible.

To be perfectly honest, THEY ALL ARE FAST, depending on how you set them up.

Thats just the way it is!

Peace.
    You don't NEED benches to prove it.

When GENTOO is COMPILED TO FIT YOUR MACHINE (which is usually going to be a 686 nowadays), it is obvious it is going to be faster. When your distro is pre-compiled to work on a 386, it is going to run slower than something talored for your system

If you do a stage 2/3 install, no it probably won't be noticeable, but if you start at stage 1, there is a huge difference.
    Finding the clitoris? Is that like finding Jesus?

We've had this out several times already; sorry, it's Saturday morning and I'm too lazy to search for links. The result is going to be disagreement, so it's going to save us all some time and vitriol if we agree to disagree.

If you do a stage 2/3 install, no it probably won't be noticeable, but if you start at stage 1, there is a huge difference.
    Actually, if you do a stage 2 or 3 from the right CD or download then you will have a reasonably optimized system. I used the Athlon XP CD set to get started which I would think would give a better starting system than one compiled for a i386, although I'm probably suffering some software bloat. OTOH, I usually install everything in sight anyway. As an example, I have both kde and gnome installed on Mandrake, Slack, and Gentoo. Speaking of KDE, how do you emerge KDE 3.2 on gentoo? If I do an emerge -s kde I still only find KDE 3.1.5 which is what I have now.
    [size=1/2]____________________________________________

Mandrake/Slackware/Gentoo Machine - ECS L7S7A2 | Barton 2500+ (locked)| 06/19/03 Bios | SIS746/963 | Thermalright 800A + Delta SHE 80mm | 2x256 Corsair XMS PC2700 | IBM 40g GXP | Pioneer 16x DVD | Zip 250 | Winfast MX2 video | Enlight case + Enermax 365 PS | Yamaha Waveforce sound | Fostex 3.1 studio monitors | Viewsonic 19" G90f | Mandrake 9.2/Slackware 9.1/Gentoo 1.4/Win XP

Home construction at http://www.glorfeld.com
    [/size]
    Lou_The_Blue_Guru - For those working with computers that havenít figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism

Originally posted by Gil-galad on 02-07-2004 at 11:01 AM
    We've had this out several times already; sorry, it's Saturday morning and I'm too lazy to search for links. The result is going to be disagreement, so it's going to save us all some time and vitriol if we agree to disagree.
    The ONLY disagreement you will find is that the BENCHMARKS where posted BY Gentoo for GENTOO, everyone else people claim its faster but no PROOF.

SINCE I am SICK of all the GENTOO HYPE and BS, and since my Mandrake Crashed hard last night, I RE-INSTALLED GENTOO and I am going to stick with it for a couple weeks at least .

But I am running KDE & GNOME and to be perfectly honest its not as fast as Mandrake 10 , course lets be fair, I am not running KDE 3.2 YET, and I am not running a 2.6.2 kernel neither.

But its still NOT any FASTER EDUDLIVE than SUSE 9 or Mandrake 10 or even Fedora Core 1 for that matter , and basically any new distro thats out there.

I am sorry guys , I do like Gentoo or Else I wouldnt be running it again, BUT damn there is way too much GENTOO HYPE OUT THERE!!!

What I think is because its such a Bitch to install and takes so long to get going that once you get it running your going DAMN this is fast, because everything else on the install is so damn slow.

Bottomline: Its not!

Originally posted by edudlive on 02-07-2004 at 10:47 AM

When GENTOO is COMPILED TO FIT YOUR MACHINE (which is usually going to be a 686 nowadays), it is obvious it is going to be faster. When your distro is pre-compiled to work on a 386, it is going to run slower than something talored for your system

Hmmm,, so your saying just because its i686 then its faster.

ok so what about ARCH LINUX thats an I686 distro?

What about Rock Linux thats another I686 Distro?

& Beehive Linux & PLD Linux,, all those are I686 Distros.

And yes I have ran 3 out of 4 and they are fast.

But once again, not any faster than what I mentioned above.

And if it is, its like 1/2 second. or so small that anyone with half a brain could not notice the differance anyways.

PEACE!

Originally posted by Gil-galad on 02-07-2004 at 11:01 AM
    I re-iterate...

Just out of curiosity, 64bit, what USE flags and CFLAGS settings do you use when you install and run Gentoo? And what stage install did you do?

Did you leave the flags at defaults? Or did you modify them? What flags did you use?

The settings you use can have a pretty large impact on the speed of the resulting system. If you leave those flags as default, you don't gain much of anything over Mandrake, or Fedora (or any other distro).

But if you do use them effectively, you can end up with a somewhat quicker system.

So I'm curious about your flag settings, since you're pretty adamant that Gentoo isn't quicker.
    Athlon Barton 2500+@2.0ghz (mild, but quiet)
    Asus A7V8X-X
    Nvidia 5900XT
    1GB PC2700 DDR
    Gentoo Linux

Originally posted by LouTheBlueGuru on 02-07-2004 at 06:09 PM
    Speaking of KDE, how do you emerge KDE 3.2 on gentoo?
    You need to accept masked packages. This can be done either with a USE flag (I think, gotta check) or setting it in your make.conf file. I chose the later and it worked fine, except for it wanting to dnl and install the latest nvidia drivers that where allready on my system. I guess they werent in the world file. Still trying to figure Gentoo out.

And in the screenshot at the top of the page we see the K-menu lables that I want gone from KDE 3.2 (amongst some other things).

EDIT: OK, here goes. If you dont want to edit your make.conf you type 'export USE="~x86". Then you need to give emerge the compelte path to the ebuild in question. For the comple KDE 3.2 suite this should be '/usr/portage/kde-base/kde/kde-3.2.0.ebuild'.

If you dont want the lot of it just do the base (kde-base/kdebase/kdebase-3.2 etc) and add the packages you want afterwards.

Once you are done you 'unset USE'.

Remember that you need to set USE if you end the session (unless you edit make.conf).
    Last edited by bonso; 02-07-2004 at 03:50 PM.