Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks for the info bronso. I'll give it a try right now!

Edit: the export USE="~x86" does not work but uncommenting and changing the make.conf does. I'm now compiling the 2nd of 21 files.

From what I can figure out you should use something like 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 emerge kde' instead of 'export USE="~x86"' for a temporary change.
    Last edited by LouTheBlueGuru; 02-07-2004 at 08:24 PM.
    Lou_The_Blue_Guru - For those working with computers that havenít figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism

Yeah, anytime you want to emerge an unstable version (~), just change the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS field, e.g.,

"ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -p kde"

or whatever package you're emerging. Always a good idea to use a '-p' or '--pretend' before you actually emerge it, just to see what's going on. If you want to use the unstable tree all of the time, then change the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS field in your /etc/make.conf file. I wouldn't recommend that, though; it's possible to bork your system pretty easily. Also, if you don't want something to be recorded in your "world" file, you can use the --oneshot parameter.
    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star / Beyond the utmost bound of human thought ... To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    --from "Ulysses", Tennyson

If you haven't had too many gin and tonics you can always remember to change it back - unlike myself
    Lou_The_Blue_Guru - For those working with computers that havenít figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism

Originally posted by jase71 on 02-07-2004 at 12:35 PM
    Just out of curiosity, 64bit, what USE flags and CFLAGS settings do you use when you install and run Gentoo? And what stage install did you do?

Did you leave the flags at defaults? Or did you modify them? What flags did you use?

The settings you use can have a pretty large impact on the speed of the resulting system. If you leave those flags as default, you don't gain much of anything over Mandrake, or Fedora (or any other distro).

But if you do use them effectively, you can end up with a somewhat quicker system.

So I'm curious about your flag settings, since you're pretty adamant that Gentoo isn't quicker.
    I have used Stage 2 & Stage 3 (currently), basically the flags are default

My point is this, I run the same XFS kernel that Gentoo uses on SGI XFS Redhat 9 and its just as fast.

Boot times are equal with equal software.

GUI is equal with equal GUI.

Please this is really getting old and I am tried of making my case.

Gentoo has done a great job in creating Hype. And lets be perfectly honest. They need too. The install is such a pain in the ass you would have to be loyal from the start just to stick with it.

Oh and yes I am running Gentoo again.

Its no faster than Any other modern Distro, POINT BLANK!!

You talk your CFLAGS this and that all you want! Its still not going to be faster than a 1/2 second. And if so the average user isnt going to notice that. And if spending 3 days installing a Distro is worth the 1/2 Second opening of Mozilla or GAIM then please get a grip.

Put it this way, my games run just as good in any other Distro as Gentoo with the Gaming-source. I could go on and on and run this into the ground , but I am not going to change anyones opinion and you all have a right to think what you want.

But please dont tell me something that I know is not.

Peaceout!

Originally posted by 64Bit on 02-08-2004 at 07:09 AM
    I have used Stage 2 & Stage 3 (currently), basically the flags are default

You talk your CFLAGS this and that all you want! Its still not going to be faster than a 1/2 second. And if so the average user isnt going to notice that. And if spending 3 days installing a Distro is worth the 1/2 Second opening of Mozilla or GAIM then please get a grip.

But please dont tell me something that I know is not.

Peaceout!
    That's all I really wanted to know, 64bit. You're apparently running an un-optimized install of Gentoo, not taking advantage of those flags. That would explain perfectly why you don't see any speed difference over a distro like Mandrake.

If you don't set the CFLAGS and USE flags, Gentoo won't be any faster. It'll be just as "vanilla" as the other distros.

Thank you, 64bit. I now understand why you don't see Gentoo as being any faster.
    Athlon Barton 2500+@2.0ghz (mild, but quiet)
    Asus A7V8X-X
    Nvidia 5900XT
    1GB PC2700 DDR
    Gentoo Linux

Originally posted by jase71 on 02-08-2004 at 08:51 AM
    That's all I really wanted to know, 64bit. You're apparently running an un-optimized install of Gentoo, not taking advantage of those flags. That would explain perfectly why you don't see any speed difference over a distro like Mandrake.

Thank you, 64bit. I now understand why you don't see Gentoo as being any faster.
    Ok Jase, whatever you want to believe to make yourself feel better, trust me you can tweak any Distro to be just as fast as ANY DISTRO.

So MY POINT IS,

DEFAULT GENTOO VS DEFAULT ANYTHING IS JUST AS FAST!

Dont give me your crap about tweaking with your friggin CFLAGS , ETC.

Suse 9 has a POWERTWEAK option, and that does a great job of speeding things up, but I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT!

I am talking about DEFAULT DISTRO VS DEFAULT DISTRO.

Everyone knows you can tweak ANY OS, Windows or Linux.

Oh and THANK YOU!!!

Your the first to admit this!!!

"If you don't set the CFLAGS and USE flags, Gentoo won't be any faster. It'll be just as "vanilla" as the other distros".

Your the first to admit that default Gentoo is Equal to all others. And like I said, dont even go there about tweaking Distros. I have a buddy that runs Slackware Tweaked to hell and it boots in less than 7 seconds from the Turn on. And its amazing how fast it is , but its tweaked and he basically made his own kernel, but does that mean Slackware is faster than anything else??

NO,,so that is my whole point from the start. I am talking Default Distro to Default Distro.

Thank you Very Much!!!
    Last edited by 64Bit; 02-08-2004 at 09:50 AM.

Originally posted by 64Bit on 02-08-2004 at 02:30 PM

DEFAULT GENTOO VS DEFAULT ANYTHING IS JUST AS FAST!

Dont give me your crap about tweaking with your friggin CFLAGS , ETC.
    No arguments with the "Default Gentoo vs. Default anything is just as fast." It's all basically the same source code. And compiled generically, it should be expected to perform the same.

The CFLAGS and USE flags matter for Gentoo, no matter how much you might disagree. They are the reason you compile everything locally, to add your optimizations to the compiling process. If you leave it set to defaults, then you're wasting your time. It would have been faster and just as effective to download binaries.

If you want to compare default distro to default distro, that's fine. Since you appear to be running a "default" distro.

I don't leave mine at defaults.

I guess that makes my experience with Gentoo a little different than yours.
    Last edited by jase71; 02-08-2004 at 10:09 AM.
    Asus A7V8X-X
    Nvidia 5900XT
    1GB PC2700 DDR
    Gentoo Linux

Originally posted by jase71 on 02-08-2004 at 10:06 AM
    No arguments with the "Default Gentoo vs. Default anything is just as fast." It's all basically the same source code. And compiled generically, it should be expected to perform the same.

The CFLAGS at USE flags matter for Gentoo, no matter how much you might disagree. They are the reason you compile everything locally, to add your optimizations to the compiling process. If you leave it set to defaults, then you're wasting your time. It would have been faster and just as effective to download binaries.

If you want to compare default distro to default distro, that's fine. Since you appear to be running a "default" distro.

I don't leave mine at defaults.

I guess that makes my experience with Gentoo a little different than yours.
    Dude,

There is nothing wrong with that fact that you Tweak your Distro, please dont misunderstand me. I think its great that your into Linux and Gentoo is a great Distro.

But I think there is WAY TOO MUCH GENTOO HYPE out there.

Dont get me wrong, Like I said its a great Distro,, maybe thats why I am currently running it again, but I have a 8139too problem that I am working on and hopefully I can get it worked out.

But anyways, I dont think Gentoo is a good Distro for newbies for the simple fact that the majority of everything that you learn will ONLY help you out for Gentoo.

I think for someone who wants to learn LINUX, Gentoo is the worst choice , he or she could make. Just for the reason stated above.

Anyways thanks for being honest!

Peace.

*sigh*
    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star / Beyond the utmost bound of human thought ... To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Ok Jase, whatever you want to believe to make yourself feel better, trust me you can tweak any Distro to be just as fast as ANY DISTRO.
    Who cares? If you want things to run faster, just overclock your machine to the nth degree and that will make alot more difference than a lot of OS optimizations.

Furthermore, even if a stage 3 install was done from the Athlon XP CD your CFLAGS will be set as CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe" which should be at least a decent optimization.

Ok, 64bit... whatever works for you.

Just realize that your experience with Gentoo is not necessarily representative of the experience of others....
    Asus A7V8X-X
    Nvidia 5900XT
    1GB PC2700 DDR
    Gentoo Linux

Originally posted by Gil-galad on 02-08-2004 at 09:13 AM
    *sigh*
    Here, have a beer and sit back and watch.

Cheers mate.
    - JP Money -
    alyson (Hannigan) [XP/Gentoo]
    Athlon 64 3200+ | Shuttle SN85G4 | 1GB PC3200 | BFG 6800 OC | Dell FP1800 18" LCD
    milla (Jovovich) [Gentoo Linux]
    Sony PCG-Z1A
    liz (Phair) [FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE web/mail server]
    Athlon t-bird 1.4 Ghz | Gigabyte 7DXR | 2 GB PC2100 | Adaptec 29160 | 36 GB Seagate Cheetah 10K

Thanks--I feel like a Blue Moon. But alas, I have no oranges. Well, I'm not so much of a beer snob that I'll hold out for that...

Talking

Originally posted by Gil-galad on 02-08-2004 at 10:13 AM
    *sigh*
    Dont cry Gil , its alright bud!

Red face

Originally posted by jase71 on 02-08-2004 at 10:19 AM
    Ok, 64bit... whatever works for you.

Just realize that your experience with Gentoo is not necessarily representative of the experience of others....
    But your missing my whole point!!!

Gentoo puts their BS Benchmarks on THEIR SITE and says we are faster than Mandrake, this, Redhat ,that, Suse OH YEAH, Slackware, forget it. But yet its all BULL!!!

I am not talking OVERCLOCKING GUYS!

I am not talking CFLAGS or KERNEL TWEAKING

I am not talking dont run any GUI so your system is faster.

I am talking just Default STAGE3 or STAGE2 Install vers SGI XFS Redhat or Mandrake 10, or Fedora, or Suse 9. Its all the same.

Gentoo isnt any faster.

Thats my whole point!

Gentoo is all HYPE!