Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I got Trolled by a Trader on Anandtech! :(

*edit* Thanks for the parties posted below, I think I have a viable solution to this problem now, so no more need for a solution!

I originally had agreed to buy this from a trader here, but it didn't get delivered, but he was nice enough to refund me the $50 (so I only lost the paypal fees), so then I had THIS thread up, where I was looking to buy an XP Pro upgrade, and bought one from This GOTHIKA guy . He claimed that it would be legit, so I paypaled him $50. I get in mail a burned copy, with an activation key. I tried to install it anyways, but the CD was bad, and I didn't hear back from him for about 5 days, so I posted THIS , because I didn't want to cry troll just yet. The disk he sent me worked fine, but when I tried to install a Service Pack, it said that the key I used to activate was no good. I then emailed gothika, and he emailed me back promtply, saying that he would send me yet another disk with the updates. Needless to say, I declined his offer, and asked for a refund. I haven't heard back since. I'm pretty sure that I am out the $50 that I paypaled him, but I still need a Windows XP Pro Upgrade. This is sad, because I could have just bought a new one from newegg for $80 using my student discount rate for this...and it would have saved me all this trouble.

Does anyone have one that they could sell/donate to me? I contacted a seller that is selling a Dell XP Pro disk for $20, but haven't heard from him. I hope to hear back soon. It will be installed on my Dell Laptop, so the Dell "reinstall" disks, or OEM's would be fine...as long as you throw in some hardware of course!

....Please help me out. I've been through a traumatic experience trying to get my hands on this thing.

I've never been trolled before....This really sucks.
    *edit*...I take that back. I was trolled out of $30 wayyy back. I just chose not to remember.
    Last edited by govtcheez; 02-10-2004 at 05:01 PM.

YGPM
    My ReBorn Rig
    Case: Lian-Li PC65
    Case Cooling:Intake: 4 Intake.... 3 Exhaust
    Mobo: Abit NF7-S 2.0
    CPU: AMD AthlonXP T-Bred B 1700+ (0310WPMW) @ 2.35GHz (10 X 235) @ 1.76v
    CPU Cooling: Thermalright AX-7 / Panaflow H1A with AS3
    RAM: TwinMOS PC3200 256MB X 2 CL2.5 running @ Dual Channel
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800Pro@ 436/384
    3DMark2001: 18278
    Temp Idle / Full Load: Case=25C / 27C ... CPU=42C / 47C...

Heatware: chuson1
    E-mail: E-mail me

That sucks bro. Good luck finding a copy of XP.

sent pm its free you cant beat that
    asus a7n8x deluxe (planning to mod)
    2500 barton@2.4ghz
    512 mb geil pc 3200
    9600 pro
    80 gb maxtor
    160 gb maxtor
    4 blue case fans
    2 cc
    custom watercooling setup

Folding for a Cause

thank you guys for your overwhelming responses. I will hopefully get this resolved very soon with your help. The AMD forum community is the best I've seen in coming to the aid of others, and this was no exception. Please let me know if I can do anything in return!

pm your way
    asus a7n8x deluxe (planning to mod)
    2500 barton@2.4ghz
    512 mb geil pc 3200
    9600 pro
    80 gb maxtor
    160 gb maxtor
    4 blue case fans
    2 cc
    custom watercooling setup

Folding for a Cause

I hate trolls. Hope you resolve your problem. I personally stay away from trolls by being the seller...not the buyer. It actually works!

Did you contact paypal? I'm pretty sure they can help you. I think you have to do it within 30 days. Let me guess he sent you a cd key that started with fcck. That was the first one cracked (devilsown) tell him to pay you or contact Microsoft. They may take action on someone selling unlicenced software.
    DFI 250 UT
    A64 3400 M
    2x512 Mushkin Lvl.II 3200
    X800pro>X800XT PE
    2x RAPTORS
    MAXTOR 80

I may try to contact paypal, but I don't know what they would do. I will give it a shot though. The key didn't start with fcck but it's close.

Originally posted by dmon on 02-11-2004 at 12:42 AM
    Did you contact paypal? I'm pretty sure they can help you. I think you have to do it within 30 days. Let me guess he sent you a cd key that started with fcck. That was the first one cracked (devilsown) tell him to pay you or contact Microsoft. They may take action on someone selling unlicenced software.

I belive the key was fckgw that was the first one cracked? But I could be mistaken!

Originally posted by DCBiggie on 02-11-2004 at 12:53 AM
    I belive the key was fckgw that was the first one cracked? But I could be mistaken!
    Thats the one I got.

PM me if you still have a need.
    Heatware Feedback 197-0-0
    This space intentionally not left blank.

Originally posted by DCBiggie on 02-10-2004 at 05:53 PM
    LOL that key is as old as dirt. when you try to get sp1 updates with that key, it sends a red flag warning siren to bill gates office, then he brings the hammer down

yea.. microsoft will be on his ass if you tell them about this...
    Heatware I'm PayPal Verified