Thread: RIAA Gangsters

RIAA Gangsters

A New Jersey woman, one of the hundreds of people accused of copyright infringement by the Recording Industry Association of America, has countersued the big record labels, charging them with extortion and violations of the federal antiracketeering act.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5161...?tag=nefd_lede

I have a feeling the RIAA likes getting countersued. It seems to happen a lot.

yeah they suck, I know the musicians don't like bootlegging, but it's not like sharing music is making any money for individuals who do it. I don't share music, but then again I haven't bought a CD in a while. Last one I bought was Jeff Beck, and I would have paid $20 for his music. Mainly listen to the radio, which is another form of sharing music ~

This case could have some insanely broad effects, and all for the better. Many, many corps/businesses thrive on scare tactics and the threat of suits, capitalizing on the ignorance and poverty of their victims. Especially stuff like overdue loans, complaints, etc. "Do what we want, or we'll SUE you! We both know we can afford it and you can't! HAHAHA!" Hopefully this is a step towards stopping that kind of extortion, by setting a legal precedent in a large, prominent case.

Originally posted by eightcats on 02-19-2004 at 06:30 PM
    yeah they suck, I know the musicians don't like bootlegging, but it's not like sharing music is making any money for individuals who do it. I don't share music, but then again I haven't bought a CD in a while. Last one I bought was Jeff Beck, and I would have paid $20 for his music. Mainly listen to the radio, which is another form of sharing music ~
    Well the difference as you well KNOW is that every time a song is played on the radio the musician (Or whoever owns the rights to the song) gets paid for that. That’s why many TV shows do not sing the traditional version of “Happy Birthday” because they don’t want to pay royalties.

I’m not saying I’m for the RIAA just against ridiculous statements equating internet song sharing with listening to songs on the radio.

EDIT: Nothing in life is really free. Remember you do indeed pay for that song you listen to on the radio by having to set through advertisements.
    Last edited by RatboyX; 02-19-2004 at 03:07 PM.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870