Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question "Activist Judges"

So, I keep reading the same old shtick from Imperials about this gay marriage issue. I wonder to myself, "do these people even know how our government works?"

Examples:

"We're in the process right now of judges and vigilantes -- people taking justice into their own hands and deciding to change the law without either the courts or the legislature acting," said Republican Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania.
    "I am troubled by activist judges who are defining marriage." - Bush
    Last time I checked, judges work in courts. The job of the Justice system is to interpret the laws and decide their "legality", so to speak (legislative creates laws while executive enforces laws). Yes? So a group of judges deeming one law unfair and unconstitutional is "activist" how?

Are these Imperials that clueless as to how the system works or do they just not care? Perhaps someone can explain this rationale to me, por favor. (I won't bother about the hypocrisy in these arguments at the moment.)
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

I see it the very same way. It must be emotional and defies logic or law.

Perhaps someone can explain it to me, too.

Are these Imperials that clueless as to how the system works or do they just not care?
    No thats why they are trying to ammend the constitution. If you are clueless then read the constitution. President Bush calls them "Activist judges" because they try to force their views through an interperitation of the law that they think is correct.
    amd 2500+@2200ish mhz
    ati 9800 pro
    msi kt6 delta lsr
    1024 mb of PC3200 ram
    2X80 gb wd800jb non raid
    Audigy platinum ex
    at least a six pack o beer
    a64 coming soon

Originally posted by NoMoreGF on 02-24-2004 at 11:43 PM
    No thats why they are trying to ammend the constitution. If you are clueless then read the constitution. President Bush calls them "Activist judges" because they try to force their views through an interperitation of the law that they think is correct.
    If you read the decision by the judges in Massachusetts you'd see all they did was (do their job) use the Constitution to form an opinion.

Bush is the activist for he wants to change the constitution. And you are wrong in your fears that a gay marriage in my state will have to be recognized in yours. So much for state's rights.

Another example is abortion and the right to privacy, not addressed in the Constitution so to make a ruling the judges had to invent a law. How can they be interpreting a law that is not there?

Originally posted by bk94si on 02-24-2004 at 11:52 PM
    Another example is abortion and the right to privacy, not addressed in the Constitution so to make a ruling the judges had to invent a law. How can they be interpreting a law that is not there?
    I assume you mean roe v wade about abortion. That was a decision brought on by state criminal abortion laws. Again, the law came first.
    http://members.aol.com/abtrbng/roeins.htm

I'm not sure what you mean by issues of right to privacy...

No thats why they are trying to ammend the constitution.
    No what?

If you are clueless then read the constitution. President Bush calls them "Activist judges" because they try to force their views through an interperitation of the law that they think is correct.
    So, wait a minute here. Judges are supposed to decide laws based on what the public or some politicians say? Judges make decisions, they do it based on their own interpretations of laws. That's what it's all about.

Once again, how can you be an "activist judge" when you simply decide something's constitutionality?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

So a group of judges deeming one law unfair and unconstitutional is "activist" how?
    Because the law must be changed through congress. A judge cannot just decide that something should be legal/illegal.

And you are wrong in your fears that a gay marriage in my state will have to be recognized in yours. So much for state's rights.
    How's that? It is in the constitution.

Once again, how can you be an "activist judge" when you simply decide something's constitutionality?
    Because a state judge may not decide whether something is constitutional or not. That is what the Supreme Court does.
    amd 2500+@2200ish mhz
    ati 9800 pro
    msi kt6 delta lsr
    1024 mb of PC3200 ram
    2X80 gb wd800jb non raid
    Audigy platinum ex
    a64 coming soon

Because the law must be changed through congress. A judge cannot just decide that something should be legal/illegal.
    Who said anything about changing the law? The Justice system decides if the law is legal, period.

Because a state judge may not decide whether something is constitutional or not. That is what the Supreme Court does.
    Actually, state judges can do just that. It can be appealed by parties up to the level of the Supreme Court, which can have the final say.

http://www.socialstudieshelp.com/Lesson_13_Notes.htm

"Actually, state judges can do just that. It can be appealed by parties up to the level of the Supreme Court, which can have the final say."
    The ultimate power lies in the hands of the Supreme Court. That is what I meant so we are on the same page there.

This issue is going to turn into a states rights issue. The reason we consider the judge an activist is as follows:

1. A judge in Massachusetts decides that gay marriage should be legal in his state.

2. This judges knows that according to the constitution(Article IV)
    any marriage in Massachusetts must be recognised in any other state in the Union.(This does not mean that gays can marry in any state they want)

3. The Judge makes it legal in his state regardless of how the 49 other states in the Union feel about his decision.

What the Judge Should have done:

1. Lobbied the state house to put the issue on the ballot in the next state election.

2. Ask the Supreme court for an opinion.

I don't like judges, no matter what party, taking it upon themselves to decide what is moral or immoral. I think this issue may divide the country as much as or more than abortion. The judge could have gone to the people of his state or gone to a higher authority, but he had rather bask in the glory of his "landmark decision".
    amd 2500+@2200ish mhz
    ati 9800 pro
    msi kt6 delta lsr
    1024 mb of PC3200 ram
    2X80 gb wd800jb non raid
    Audigy platinum ex
    a64 coming soon

The ultimate power lies in the hands of the Supreme Court. That is what I meant so we are on the same page there.

This issue is going to turn into a states rights issue. The reason we consider the judge an activist is as follows:

1. A judge in Massachusetts decides that gay marriage should be legal in his state.

2. This judges knows that according to the constitution(Article IV)
    any marriage in Massachusetts must be recognised in any other state in the Union.(This does not mean that gays can marry in any state they want)

3. The Judge makes it legal in his state regardless of how the 49 other states in the Union feel about his decision.

1. Lobbied the state house to put the issue on the ballot in the next state election.

I don't like judges, no matter what party, taking it upon themselves to decide what is moral or immoral. I think this issue may divide the country as much as or more than abortion. The judge could have gone to the people of his state or gone to a higher authority, but he had rather bask in the glory of his "landmark decision".
    What you're saying is that instead of actually doing his/her job, the judges in Mass. should have become politicians bowing to public will and stalling so that they wouldn't have to deal with the issue(s) at hand. That is, they should be slaves of public opinion and political motive rather than judges. Yes?

Originally posted by NoMoreGF on 02-25-2004 at 08:07 AM

This is exactly the opposite a judge should do: the judge is not there to make laws, which you suggest he should do. He interprets the laws that are there and judges their constitutionality.

Again, that's not the the judge's job, it is rather the Supreme Court's job to decide whether the lower court's interpretation was correct and this will happen in case of an appeal (ultimately).

Again, the judges are there to decide whether the laws are constitutional (no matter what the present opinion of the residing house/senate seems to be at that moment, which is why representatives in both of those places are temporary, whereas judges are appointed for life).

I quote to you (Justice Holmes):

[The Constitution] is made for people of fundamentally differing views, and the accident of our finding certain opinions natural and familiar or novel and even shocking ought not to conclude our judgment upon the question whether statutes embodying them conflict with the Constitution of the United States.

What you're saying is that instead of actually doing his/her job, the judges in Mass. should have become politicians bowing to public will and stalling so that they wouldn't have to deal with the issue(s) at hand. That is, they should be slaves of public opinion and political motive rather than judges. Yes?
    Doing what is in the best interest of the public is their job, so yes I am saying that. That doesn't make them politicians. That makes them judges!

Goodnight. I have enjoyed this discussion, and hope to keep the debate going tommorrow but, I have to be at work in 7 hours and i need some sleep.
    Last edited by NoMoreGF; 02-25-2004 at 01:30 AM.
    amd 2500+@2200ish mhz
    ati 9800 pro
    msi kt6 delta lsr
    1024 mb of PC3200 ram
    2X80 gb wd800jb non raid
    Audigy platinum ex
    a64 coming soon

Originally posted by NoMoreGF on 02-25-2004 at 08:27 AM
    Doing what is in the best interest of the public is their job, so yes I am saying that. That doesn't make them politicians. That makes them judges!

Who is it that decides what's in the best interest of the public????

Re: "Activist Judges"

Originally posted by Orangutan on 02-24-2004 at 11:28 PM
    So, I keep reading the same old shtick from Imperials about this gay marriage issue. I wonder to myself, "do these people even know how our government works?"

Examples:

Last time I checked, judges work in courts. The job of the Justice system is to interpret the laws and decide their "legality", so to speak (legislative creates laws while executive enforces laws). Yes? So a group of judges deeming one law unfair and unconstitutional is "activist" how?

Are these Imperials that clueless as to how the system works or do they just not care? Perhaps someone can explain this rationale to me, por favor. (I won't bother about the hypocrisy in these arguments at the moment.)
    "Activist" in this sense means ignoring the moral underpinnings of law.....on which our country depends for its "law and order" .