Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCO Reveals its First Linux Licensee

This article by eWeek reveals the name of a cmpany that paid for an SCO license.

Did anyone ask the question, "Who the **** would do that before any proof is out?!?!", when they read the article?

I mean seriously. Would you buy a car boasting power seats without ever sitting in the seat and trying it or seeing it? (Weak example but it makes sense.)

If you're really bored some the replies on /. are great. Here's the link.
    Last edited by coolrunr; 03-01-2004 at 06:57 PM.

Oh yeah? Read the following taken from groklaw and follow the link below it to read the rest of Pamela's comments about recent goings on.......

Speaking of Microsoft turning up in the background, SCO's new licensee, an ISP nobody ever heard of, can be found on Microsoft's website, held up as a case study, dated September 2003, of a company that thought they wanted to go to Linux and then switched back:

"EV1Servers.net Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions

"Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering, but they did not think they could deploy Windows-based servers with the same speed or level of automation that they had achieved in their deployment of their traditional Linux-based systems. Yet with the introduction of the Microsoft Solution for Windows-based Hosting 2.0, which can take advantage of Automated Deployment Services (ADS)—a powerful new server purposing tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition—EV1 Servers.net is finding that it can deploy a Windows-based hosting service in less than half the time it takes to deploy a similarly configured Linux system. And they can do it with much less hands-on involvement than their Linux deployments demand."

The link:
    http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...40301051959705

Another link from Pamela's page about what some of EV1's customers think...
    http://forum.ev1servers.net/showthre...threadid=42229
    Closed Source, Closed Minds ---> Open Source, Open Minds

MAIN RIG
    Booting: Fedora Core 3, WinXP Pro
    Motherboard - MSI KT6 LSR
    AMD 2500+ Barton @ 2800+ (Thermalright AX-7 HS)
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR
    Radeon 9700Pro (Gigabyte Maya II) with Zalman ZM80A-HP

Linux Servers: Alexandria, Cairo, Zanzibar, Madagascar

Microsoft Test Servers: Bishop, Rook, Knight, Pawn
    (running atop virtual pc on xp machines)

Alas, governments and corporations alike rely on people's ability to look no further than two feet in front of their face.

MAIN RIG
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

Originally posted by navin on 03-01-2004 at 07:32 PM
    Alas, governments and corporations alike rely on people's ability to look no further than two feet in front of their face.
    Scary fact, isn't it?

I read some of the posts on there. Even, just being safe isn't a good arguement since the case won't over with for at least a year, unless sco's 'proof' is really crap, and SCO's threatend many time to up the price, but extends the time to get the reduced price.

All around it's not a smart move at all. As far as the windows hosting, it does make sense since many businesses would rather run on ASP with a IIS server based on a windows server, both of which have many holes. Why that is, I may never know.

I still think people are easily distracted. It makes me think of the movie "Wag the Dog" (corret me if I'm wrong on the movie's name) where it's all about redirection, smoke and mirrors. Let your enemy fight out its strength on your ally and wear themselves down. Sigh.......... I just hope Linux has a lot of strength in the community...

MAIN RIG
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

Movie title is correct as I can remember.

I think the community is strong. There are just too many people out there to defeat.

As a good example of misdirection, consider the events leading up to Iraq. The Bush administration wanted to press the WMD issue with force, but the intelligence community issues statements indicating they did not feel there was sufficient evidence. Post-war, sans-WMD, who's taking the fall? The intelligence community. Which is not to say that intel didn't goof up; surely they did. But if it weren't for certain hawks, I rather imagine the CIA would have stayed the conservative course. Apparently, the administration is relying--and succeeding, by most accounts--on the short-term memory of the American citizen. But, I digress... I've just been feeling politically charged, lately.
    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star / Beyond the utmost bound of human thought ... To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    --from "Ulysses", Tennyson

I don't blame you on the political issues. The trick is that no political party or government has power without the will of its people. A country IS NOTHING without the consent of the governed no matter its visions of granduer. But, when the will of the people is weak they are easily misled.

On another non Linux note. Watch Russia! It has tasted capatilism and found its taste very sour. The Soviet machine is starting to power up again. I wish America would stop trying to turn every place it gets its hands on into America because of its short success in the winds of time. When other nations find that America's ideals don't work for them there will be much resentment. Just like the fool who has passed out bad advice confidently and led people astray. When they find him to be a fool there is much resentment.

MAIN RIG
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

Sco begins a suit against a customer tomorrow on what grounds?!?!?

Why can't the government shutdown their legal operation before the proof is made?!?! I don't understand this crap at all. I would write a nice lengthy rant on this crap, but I think I should save it until we find who the unlucky company is.

I guess on the grounds that their stock price was dropping too low.

MAIN RIG
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

I think if I were Darl the Snarl McBribe I would be worried about SCO winning. Of course some people think slapping a bengal tiger would be fun also. At least until you were face down in the dirt smelling your blood on it's breath as your shoulder was eaten away. I still believe that SCO is just dancing a jig for the Canopy Group on the behalf of Microsoft. SCO's purpose is to dance that jig as long as they can so that MS can get more people into its perpetual license of hell. MS has tried several times to force people to leave Win98, NT, etc.. to no avail so the dance goes on. If SCO actually pulls something off all the better. Until then you will be entertained by Darl and co.

MAIN RIG
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

Originally posted by navin on 03-02-2004 at 12:30 AM
    On another non Linux note. Watch Russia! It has tasted capatilism and found its taste very sour. The Soviet machine is starting to power up again. I wish America would stop trying to turn every place it gets its hands on into America because of its short success in the winds of time. When other nations find that America's ideals don't work for them there will be much resentment. Just like the fool who has passed out bad advice confidently and led people astray. When they find him to be a fool there is much resentment.
    Quite right. Putin is definitely on his way to dictatorship. And you're right about turning every place into America. While I won't get into whether or not the government is arrogant to assume that our way is best and that every country must follow in our footsteps, I think it's obvious that there are different strokes for different folks. And you can't expect free market forces to suddenly make a country that, like Russia, has been suffering from oppression and depression for decades, a paradise. If "Americanism" worked well for everyone, well, then, we wouldn't be the only America, would we? Don't get me wrong; I'm more or less content as a whole with the broad, general concept that is America. But the execution has been horribly, horribly awry these past years.
    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star / Beyond the utmost bound of human thought ... To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    --from "Ulysses", Tennyson

Wink

Navin,

I can speak from experiance I have been around the world and lived in other countrys sometimes for over a year and I can honestly say that America isnt trying to make other countrys be like America. Its just Other countrys WANT TO BE LIKE AMERICA!!

It sucks to be the best country in the world.

I understand, Peaceout!

Perhaps the leaders want their countrys to be so but from having been to nearly all of the European countries as well as South America, Cuba, North Africa, and a few middle eastern countries I guess I'll just have to take your word for it. I for one did not see that in the people I met. Of some of their leaders, the King of Norway (I think that was his title) comes to mind, I can easily see that perspective and they truly do desire to be as America is for the sake of power. However, of the people as a whole I did not see this. Too many differences in the belief system.

MAIN RIG
    1 GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

its hard not to reply to good threads! lol

on the sco topic, based on the history of some of the people involved it just seems totally stupid to me and i would also say MS has a big hand in it somewhere as previously stated. big surprise? not!

as for the political topics:

deleted my own stuff, im tired from a long days work and said WAY to much lol

Last edited by elusive-dragon; 03-04-2004 at 08:59 PM.
    heat: the-elusive-dragon

Dell XPS desktop
    19" monitor
    Intel core duo @ 2.2ghz
    2gb ram
    250gb hdd
    nvidia 8600 gts video with 256 ram
    saitek backlit kb
    razer diamondback mouse (red led)
    windows vista