Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'll try that tonight! Thanks for the ideas.

I also have ZoneAlarm running on both computers and XP also seems to have some sort of Internet Connection Firewall enabled by default. Do I need to disable all these software firewalls?
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 03-16-2004 at 04:06 PM.

Originally posted by SkaarjMaster on 03-16-2004 at 04:03 PM
    I'll try that tonight! Thanks for the ideas.

I also have ZoneAlarm running on both computers and XP also seems to have some sort of Internet Connection Firewall enabled by default. Do I need to disable all these software firewalls?
    Yes, try that. Also there is no reason to have 2 firewalls on. Disable the XP firewall. In fact, since you are behind a NAT/router, you do not need a firewall on any machine.

I'll go ahead and disable the 3 firewalls anyway, but do you think the firewalls are creating this problem in any way?

It's difficult to say, just something to try.

OK, I've disabled all the firewalls (ZA on both computers and the XP Firewall), set MTU enabled to 1500 and made sure the XP subnet mask was 255.255.255.0 and I'm still getting cut off. Does it have to be connected for a while to catch or what?

Are there any diagnostic tools I can use to confirm either a bad router or the ISP (Roadrunner) cutting me off? Or maybe the Ericsson PipeRider cable modem is not compatible with the Linksys BEFSR41 router?

Just found this statement on the Roadrunner site:
    "The Ethernet card must be installed and available for Road Runner use. Road Runner is intended for stand-alone computers; for information on local networking capability, contact your local cable provider."
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 03-16-2004 at 08:44 PM.

Check your modem lights when the freeze occurs.

What should I be looking for?

Well, this is getting ridiculous now. Sometimes I can't even reconnect to the Internet without resetting my cable modem. I've tried all the suggestions from Roadrunner and Linksys and nothing seems to work. Either the router is not doing its job or my ISP is playing games with me. I can't even find out any info. on routers at the Roadrunner Help site.

By the way, when I don't have an Internet connection the Internet light on my router stops blinking and the computer connection light on my modem stops blinking. Usually the computer 1 light blinks just a little when it is connected and the Internet light blinks a lot and power light on all the time on the router. The modem usually have one light on all the time (power) and two other lights blink on and off a lot.

EDIT: Now I'm having trouble receiving my e-mail messages. This is sounding more and more like an ISP problem.
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 03-17-2004 at 12:23 AM.

Go to DSL reports and run their line quality, speed test, and tweak tests. Either post results here or in the tweak forum there.

I just registered for that site today at work and ran the tests at work to compare to home. I'll run it tonight at home and post the results here!

I also just posted this question in their forums as well in the Roadrunner section!

...funny thing after checking the forums at the Linksys section at BroadBandreports.com is someone just posted that they talked to a Linksys tech and was told the problem is the latest firmware and to keep checking the site for a new firmware release.
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 03-17-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Try a previous version of firmware.

I would like to but the previous version was the first one and had all kind of problems that the second one (latest version) fixed for BEFSR41 v3. I may try reinstalling the new one again......maybe it didn't take the first time even though it says the correct version in the router settings.

I've decided that I can't wait for the firmware upgrade as this could take a while and may not even work after this. I've already sent my RMA request into ZipZoomFly and was wondering should I get the D-Link DI-604, DI-704P or the SMC 7004VBR to replace the Linksys BEFSR41 v3?
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 03-17-2004 at 02:58 PM.

OK, I'm not giving up yet, I got some ideas from another forum that might just work........update at Eleven or whenever! Besides I have a few days before my RMA expires, but don't let that stop you from suggesting a good router replacement from the ones above.

I just changed my router and computer settings in that long post above and no disconnections yet. Please check them again and let me know how they look. Thank you.
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 03-17-2004 at 10:22 PM.

Actually, it did cut me off once later that night and tonight 3 times already. This router is toast!