Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    There, I've stickied this for you. Let's see how much interest we have.

I've still got some work to do but here are some pics
    http://community.webshots.com/album/125902606hEsOFe
    I guess that's all for now. I'll be testing two Silenx fans the 11DBa and 14DBa in place of these two fans. Once I decide which are better I'll be using some rubber grommets to mount the fans not the rubber bands. I may be switching out the rounded cables for some flat ones that i can fold better.
    Last edited by thatguyX; 03-16-2004 at 03:48 PM.
    Mushkin 2x512mb DDR lvl2 pc3500
    Radeon 9800 XT (Overdrive On)
    2 x 36.7Gb WD Raptors (Raid-0)
    1 x 120Gb WD Caviar
    Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
    All housed in an Antec Piano Sonata (120mm Papst fan)
    /w 380watt True Power(M1A modded)
    Acoustipack Pre-cut Kit for Sonata
    w/ Techflex Cable sleeving
    ^all this weighs approximately 40lbs^ ahaha

Originally posted by Blackeagle on 03-12-2004 at 02:01 AM
    A good and timely topic.

I'm also considering a high performance, sharp looking, but modest noise set up for a upcoming build.
    I've been considering a differant approach, as my noise goals are a bit differant than yours may be.
    CPU => P4 Northwood 3.4 O/Ced as far as possible.
    RAM => I've 8 sticks of BH-5 on hand, so which ever 2 give me the best performance...
    Oh man, are you telling us you have 8 (eight!!!) sticks of BH-5 memory on your hands? Jeez... Mind sharing those with us?

Anyhoo, I wanted to share my recent almost out-of-body experience. I was just visiting a friend of mine who had bought himself a computer couple of months ago. Being an audiophile that he is he couldn't stand the noise coming out of the can even though most of the people would be happy to have a computer that silent. After looking into different alternatives he decided to go for a somewhat different approach since none of the conventional solutions offered zero noise at reasonable cost.

What he did was to simply move the can into a closet next room and then connect everything with super long cables. He bought VGA cable 10m long along with other cables PS/2 (mouse and keyboard) USB (external DVD+RW). To my surprise he did not encounter any problems with any of the external units. I was most worried that the monitor would show signs of picture distortion or shadows but none seemed to occur. Everything was working perfectly. Total cost was in range of 100 bucks which is very little considering that he actually achieved zero noise. Except for the monitor that is. Now that there are no other sources of noise a transformer in the monitor is generating a humming noise that is driving my buddy nuts.

I may add that temperature inside the case rouse only about 1-2 degrees when placed into the closet but I guess it too could be resolved if an air intake for cool air coming outside of the closed is fixed.

/q
    Last edited by quadro; 03-17-2004 at 08:21 PM.

Originally posted by quadro on 03-17-2004 at 08:24 AM
    Oh man, are you telling us you have 8 (eight!!!) sticks of BH-5 memory on your hands? Jeez... Mind sharing those with us?
    /q
    Yeah,

2 x 512mb Mushkin Lvl. II Black PC3500

2 x 256mb Mushkin Lvl. II Black PC3500

2 x 256mb OCZ PC3500 Limited Edition

2 x 256mb Hyper X Kingston PC3200 (non A)

I purchased these a while back, to help make sure I'll get as good a O/C out of the new build and a upgrade of another system that I can get.

And once I've got my new build done, and the other upgrade of my existing system, at the very least one of these sets, maybe two of them, is going up for sale.

Considering how hard it's getting to find BH-5, (and the fact I won't scalp them price wise), I guess that's sharing sort of. Offered at my original cost I doubt buyers will be hard to find.

Crazy what BH-5 is selling for now, saw a site week or a bit longer ago offering 2 x 256 Hyper X PC3200 for $175.00.

Edit: I just checked, Tiger Direct still has the 2 x 256 Hyper X PC3200 for $175.00. They also have PC3000 rated for 2-2-2-6 timings for $105.00 for 2 x 256 as well, and it should also be BH5 from what I've read. Hope that is of help for anyone willing to pay that much for BH-5, it's still about in a few places, although Kingston is about the only ones left, at least that I've seen.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; 03-17-2004 at 07:00 PM.

A check of UPS shipping shows my new PSU is to be here on Friday.

Uglynerd,

While that heatpipe CPU cooler is of interest for it's advance in cooling, it's not yet ready for the sort of use I need.

Originally posted by Propaganda13 on 03-13-2004 at 06:20 PM
    What hard drive are you using?

My noises from high to low went
    cpu w/ 7K fan
    northbridge (whiny little 40-50mm fan)
    case fans
    hard drive
    video card
    psu

I went with the Samsung SP1614N with AAM turned all the way down.
    I'm planning on use of the WD Raptor 74 it's supposed to be the fastest dive available. I'm really considering mounting it like some of the guys over at SPCR do on a 1/2" thick block of Sorbothane to keep it's noise level to a absolute minimum. I may also attach one of those heatpipe hard drive coolers to it. I relize they don't offer the greatest cooling, but are known to help lower noise along with their limited cooling. And best of all, the heatpipes would be perfect for helping me rig a elastic banding method of holding it in place on the Sorbothane when the case is moved.

I relize my component selection is not the best for minimum noise, but I'm going for any reduction I can get, while still building the fastest O/C'd rig I can devise.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; 03-17-2004 at 08:24 PM.

I just noticed this is now a sticky, congrats to the thread starter! It won't be long and sites will be including silent forums, this is a very fast growing segment of computer building at this time.

I've been giving thought to AMD vs Intell. While it is killing me to wait, I've decided to wait for all the following to hit the market prior to finishing my new from the ground up rig.

1) AMD64 939 boards, most of all the next NF boards.

2) NV40 & R420 vid cards

I think I'll scream if after waiting even longer, there is no PCI lock on these boards.

But in the mean time, I can read up a bit more on quiet computers. And I'll also be working on making my exterior water cooling case and covering it's walls, floor and top with sound deadening foams. I can also do the same for my PC76 case although I may not be able to finish it until I've the hardware at hand.

I'm really looking forward to building this system, my combined goals for it,are going to make it the most challanging build I've ever done.

update:

well I got the Silenx Fans (14Dba and 11Dba). It's nothing special, the extra cost for these fans are because of a volt mod. This volt mod could be done with an inline resistor. The fan design is nothing special, at full 12v it's just as loud as a regular Antec case fan. With the 14Dba resistor, the fan is still louder than I wanted. With the 11Dba resistor, the fan is a tiny bit louder than my Papst 120mm. The Papst is cheaper and better. Silenx fans are nothing special, just save your money and buy a Panaflo or a Papst.

oh yeah, and I got my Sorbothane sheets (4"x4"x1/8"). I don't feel any vibration from my harddrives anymore. I dont hear anymore noise comming from the harddrives idling, only during seek times. I have a little bit of Sorbothane left over and I may use it as gaskets for my PSU or media drives. Overall I'm very pleased with all the extra mods.
    Last edited by thatguyX; 03-17-2004 at 11:49 PM.
    Mushkin 2x512mb DDR lvl2 pc3500
    Radeon 9800 XT (Overdrive On)
    2 x 36.7Gb WD Raptors (Raid-0)
    1 x 120Gb WD Caviar
    Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
    All housed in an Antec Piano Sonata (120mm Papst fan)
    /w 380watt True Power(M1A modded)
    Acoustipack Pre-cut Kit for Sonata
    w/ Techflex Cable sleeving
    ^all this weighs approximately 40lbs^ ahaha

Originally posted by Blackeagle on 03-17-2004 at 11:31 PM
    Yeah,

2 x 512mb Mushkin Lvl. II Black PC3500

2 x 256mb Mushkin Lvl. II Black PC3500

2 x 256mb OCZ PC3500 Limited Edition

2 x 256mb Hyper X Kingston PC3200 (non A)

I purchased these a while back, to help make sure I'll get as good a O/C out of the new build and a upgrade of another system that I can get.

And once I've got my new build done, and the other upgrade of my existing system, at the very least one of these sets, maybe two of them, is going up for sale.

Considering how hard it's getting to find BH-5, (and the fact I won't scalp them price wise), I guess that's sharing sort of. Offered at my original cost I doubt buyers will be hard to find.

Crazy what BH-5 is selling for now, saw a site week or a bit longer ago offering 2 x 256 Hyper X PC3200 for $175.00.

Edit: I just checked, Tiger Direct still has the 2 x 256 Hyper X PC3200 for $175.00. They also have PC3000 rated for 2-2-2-6 timings for $105.00 for 2 x 256 as well, and it should also be BH5 from what I've read. Hope that is of help for anyone willing to pay that much for BH-5, it's still about in a few places, although Kingston is about the only ones left, at least that I've seen.
    Blackeagle, you may check your PMs. I've just sent you a message.

Regards,

/q

Originally posted by thatguyX on 03-17-2004 at 09:38 PM
    update:

oh yeah, and I got my Sorbothane sheets (4"x4"x1/8"). I don't feel any vibration from my harddrives anymore. I dont hear anymore noise comming from the harddrives idling, only during seek times. I have a little bit of Sorbothane left over and I may use it as gaskets for my PSU or media drives. Overall I'm very pleased with all the extra mods.
    VERY glad to see you had great results with the Sorbothane on those Raptors!
    As the new Raptor 74 is said to be lower noise to start with, I"m a happy camper!

Quadro,

You've a PM.

I've found a site that has the VERY HARD To Find German Noiseblocker fans. Only in 80mm so far, but a e-mail I recieved from the site tells me they expect to have the 120mm Noiseblocker fans as well soon.

These are NOT cheap fans to buy, but these fans stats show them beating out every other fan maker for low noise. And unlike Papst or Panaflo the S1-S4 fans are grreat looking as well, clear with a transparant blue fan hub and blades, pretty sharp looking.

www.mutepc.net

I've ordered two of the S2 fans, 30cfm @ 19dba.

Yeah, those guys are good. Especially 80mm ones. Noiseblocker SX2 120mm seem to perform i line with other quiet fans thou. However there's a Noiseblocker SX2Pro that looks to outperform even the best of the quiet fans out there by a margin. Take a look at here. Downside is that it doesn't look as sharp as SX2 series, it's plain black as you can see.

Btw http://www.vcore.dk is a good place if you're looking for Noiseblocker fans and they seem to ship internationally. Take look at the meny on the left under Blæsere/Tilbehør (Blackeagle, I guess your Danish is as bad as your Swedish ) and shipping info can be found at the top of the page under Fragt/Shipping. Oh, well.

Cheers,

/q

EDIT: For some reason the first link above wouldn't work unless right clicking and choosing Open Link in New Window
    Last edited by quadro; 03-28-2004 at 05:58 AM.

wow, a sticky? im about to have a heart attack!

unfortunately, my school is back in session, and i cannot visit the forum unless i take a weekend off. but ill visit the thread every time i do.

i thank you guys and the moderators who have been supporting the thread.
    INTeL
    Pentium4 2.4C | DFI PRO875 | CORSAIR PC4000 | WD360GD RAID 0 | Sappire 9600 Pro

AMD
    Athlon XP 2500+ | MSI K7N2G-ILSR | CORSAIR XMS PC2700 C2 | WESTERN DIGITAL WD800JB

AMD
    Athlon XP 2000+ | EPOX EP-8RDA3+ | SAMSUNG PC3200 | SEAGATE 7200.7 ST380011A | MSI FX5700-VTD128

Ugly Nerd,

Check that site under "Koleprofiler" look at the RAM sinks they list. Those are so far ahead of those offered up to now in the USA it' not funny. I have to wonder just how much those sinks could offer in inceased fsb if used in place of the "heat spreaders" found on premium RAM. At 3.3v and beyond RAM chips DO get hot enough to gain from agressive active cooling.

And these "flower" type copper sinks could be made good use of on a number of motherbaord hot spots such as mosfets, PLL chips ect. All it would take for use on a range of motherboard chips is a couple minetes with a dremel with a cutting disk. In a quiet case, with low to modest air flow & insulators like sound deadening foams, such passive coolers could do a LOT to cool secondary chips like the PLL and mosfets that should help preserve stability of the system.

And aggresive over clockers should love them for obvious reasons. To the really hyper 3D folks it's the little extra touches that can sometimes make a big differance in the individuals ranking on the orb. And those are the same people who'll pay a pretty high price to gain even modest increases in fsb, which these could well give. If these offer, on average, just 5-7 extra mhz onto the fsb, they will sell VERY well here. And with a strong side panel blower on them I'll be very surprised if they don't give a worth while increase in fsb.

I'll have to do a indepth search of US sites to see if I can find them here. Most really good items from the EU or asia & Australia get picked up by some site, just sometimes hard to locate.

I'll post back here if I do find them in the US.

Edit:

OOOoooopppss

Above response was to Quadro's post above.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; 03-29-2004 at 08:40 PM.

Buhu, buhu, buuuhuhuhu :crying:
    Blackeagle is ignoring me! buuuhuhuhu :crying: Me said, me very said. :crying:

He he, not really. Glad to see you trying to learn some Danish Blackeagle.
    Anyhoo, here's an article that could illustrate the significance of the stuff Blackeagle is talking about. Read from page 14 and on. Read the whole darn article. It's actually amazing. 400MHz FSB!!! Amazing is the word.
    Even here there's an excellent example of what good a cooler on a PLL, or clock generator as it's also called, can do:

"One well known example used to be the ASUS CUSL-2 that would max out at about 150 MHz bus speed but after adding even a passive cooler to the ICS PLL would run up to 190 plus MHz bus frequency."

/q
    Last edited by quadro; 03-29-2004 at 07:00 PM.