Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: [BAR] Silent Computing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bobkoure
    Try lining your "muffler box" with this stuff.
    ...and you might also want to read this thread
    ... and it's worth browsing Silent PC Review and the forums there.

Wahaha, that thing of mine even had a name! Man, and I thought I was the first to crack that. It's even very alike although I think my version of the "Muffler" is actually better construction wise. If I just could lay my hands on that dampening material. We have it over here in Sweden too but it costs an arm and a leg. Muffler... heh.

Btw, thanks for the links bobkoure. Really useful ones.

I'm really starting to like this thread!

/q
    Last edited by quadro; 04-27-2004 at 02:21 AM.

Actually, I'm not that impressed with mode commercially available muffler boxes - they're lots more restrictive than they need to be. I would guess that you can get most of the same noise reduction (and no air restriction) by hanging a towel (turkish/looped preferable) on the wall behind the PC (assuming you've got it set so the exhaust fans point out towards a wall).
    Don't pull the towel tight - pleated (like theater curtains) would be even better. The notion with this is that the soundwave hits the wall and bounces off. Soundwaves alternate between max pressure and max air velocity (alternations are a half wavelength apart). Anyway, you've just set the max pressure to be at the wall, so you need something with max air resistance a half wavelength away, where max velocity is - that's the towel. Voilą! Cheap noise reduction!
    I've oversimplified here - if you want to know lots more, I'd suggest F. Alton Everest's The Master Handbook of Acoustics. BTW, he's an amazing guy - from the days when real nerds dealt with analog things like sound and radio waves. BTW2, we all know that BBN (Bolt Beranek & Newman) got started as an acoustics house, right? I don't claim to be an expert - just know enough to understand what amazing things these guys have done...

pitchafit,

I see you have two raptors in your rig. I couldn't make out from your sign whether those are 36 or 74 Gb models but I'd sure like to know how much noise they generate compared with the other WD.

/q

Quote Originally Posted by bobkoure
    ...I don't claim to be an expert...

Heh, it's pretty darn difficult to believe you're not bobkoure when you come with the stuff like that.

Come to think, shouldn't that towel be standing on a distance from the wall to be right on the spot for the half wavelength?

/q

Quote Originally Posted by quadro
    pitchafit,

I see you have two raptors in your rig. I couldn't make out from your sign whether those are 36 or 74 Gb models but I'd sure like to know how much noise they generate compared with the other WD.

/q
    They're 36G's. They're actually the main noisemaker in my system. I wouldn't call them loud, but there is a faint high pitched tone that comes from them. It's kind of like if you're in a really quiet room and you can hear a slight ringing in your ears. I didn't even notice it until I had silenced the rest of my system.

I'm not sure how they compare to other WD's. The last WD I bought before these was an 8.4G back in '99. It was quiet, but then again it was also 5400rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by quadro
    ..shouldn't that towel be standing on a distance from the wall to be right on the spot for the half wavelength?
    Yes - exactly - but the noise is a spread of frequencies, so it makes sense to cover a spread of half-wavelengths - but you've definitely got the concept
    Oh - and thanks for the kind words...

Just purchased a Mach II...any idea on the noise level? I have yet to hook it up, asI am waiting onthe AMD kit....grrr
    RIG 1
    PROMETEIA MACH II (Baker Block Mods)\ Opteron 148 @ 3.Ghz \ 1 GB-G.Skill TCCD \ DFI NF4 \ BFG 7800GTX 650/1580 *VJ vmods/H2o\ Klipsch ULTRA 5.1\ Audigy2ZS\ Enermax 550w\ Philips 180 B2 (love this lcd =P)\ ThermalRock Circle Full Tower Case

RIG 2
    Venice 3200@2.6/HyperX 4000/MSI K8N/XFX 6600GT
    LIQUIDSTOP.TK

OK (see - I'm really not an expert) what the heck is a Mach II.
    Bob
    PS: Interesting how "mach" can in some situations mean the same thing as "revision" or "mark" or "step" - no idea if this applies here, though...

I just picked up an Ahanix SilenX 400W PSU.

MAN is this thing quiet! i thought it was broken when i turned it on cuz I just couldnt hear it. i had to look and see if the fan was actually spinning :lol the sound level does increase with load, but is still quieter than my Panaflo L1A i had swapped into my old Enermax 365p VE PSU.

thing weighs a ton and the wires are very neatly zip tied. also they are generous in length and he the right combinations of molex plugs. I dont know why they still have an "AT" connector on them tho.

I HIGHLY recommend this badboy. time to update my Sig again.

"Evil will always win because good is dumb"

Bob,

Mach II => One of Prommie's more advanced phase change units, only the Mach II GT will give lower temps as I understand it.

But I'm no expert on phase equipment myself even though I read a few articles on it, I've not used one. Perhaps someone better versed in such phase change use can post a more full description.

Just built my new Quieter system... Haven't quite figured out how to get is 'Silent' yet but I am working on it.

It's in my sig.
    Last edited by deheinx; 05-31-2004 at 12:19 AM.

My Monster box 60mm CPU fan is just LOUD. 36db only pushing 21cfm. Can't go to water cooling in the tiny case though. Its a Volcano 10+, any ideas for a good fan that would take up a lot of space? About 50mm between the top of the heatsink and the PSU.

EDIT:

That and I am getting tired of my loud computers! The monster needs to be quieter!
    Last edited by Alexia; 05-07-2004 at 03:18 AM.

It looks like you can get a 60mm fan that pushes 20.5cfm at 28dB(a). See Gizzo 60mm fan spec listing. Note that these are manufacturers specs, serve with a bit of salt. None the less, you will likely notice a big difference between a fan rated to 36dB and another rated for 28dB
    How are your temps? You could try reducing the voltage to the fan you're using (or get a quieter fan and try reducing voltage to that). The cheapest way to do this is the zalman fan controller, which I see on the web for under $4. You have to open your case to get to it. If you have a spare 3.5" bay or 5" bay, you can get a bay controller that lets you turn up/down you fans from outside the case. I'm pretty sure there are single fan models that mount on an empty card bracket (so the knob sticks out to the back of your box).
    Are you saying you have 50mm depth to work with? There are thicker fans (38mm) but they're typically not quieter (generate more pressure - non-issue here).
    Or is your processor edge-on to the PSU and you have... 50mm from the edge of your current HSF to the PSU? 50mm from the center? something else?
    If you're thinking about mounting a HSF that can mount a larger fan - good idea - you can get the same cooling for lost less noise with a larger fan. Can you post a picture or diagram (or just be a lot more specific about measurements)?

my project status

Hey folks,
    I'm currently set up with
    Swiftech 5002
    Innovatech/Eheim 12v (HPPS) pump
    chevette core (pre-barbed by BeCooling)
    3/8" tubing
    2 Panaflo L1A fans (both on pull side / stacked with spacer) both undervolted to 5V

My processor is an XP-mobile 2600+ overclocked to 12.5x200 at 1.7V (and I would guess around 70W at full load - see depth[/i] to work with? There are thicker fans (38mm) but they're typically not quieter (generate more pressure - non-issue here).]Processor Electrical Specs)

My current temps (as reported by the CPU diode which is famously inaccurate - but what I have).
    idle - ambient + 8 or 9C (varies)
    full load - ambient + 12C
    (full load temp generated by 30 iterations of SiSoft Sandra "CpuBurn" - tried 100 iterations once, got same result - seems to reach equilibrium at 10 to 12 iterations)
    Noise level - something under 20dB. Maybe as low as 15. I don't have measuring gear that goes this low. During the day, I usually can't hear it (quieter than ambient) - can definitely hear it late at night, though.

Note - I had started this project with the quietest pump I could find - an Eheim 1046. This is a low pressure pump and so I picked the lowest-head-drop "decent performance" waterblock - the swiftech 5002. I now have the HPPS (even quieter, BTW) which has considerably more pressure than the 1046 - and IMHO I'd have picked a D-Tek customs whitewater or danger den RBX.
    Now, with a 5002 that's performing IMHO fine, I don't see the point in moving to either of these - I have emailed Little River and asked to be on the waiting list for the Cascade - haven't heard back (it's been about a week) so I have no idea if/when I'll ever see one of these...
    Bob
    PS see whitewater/rbx/cascade comparison