Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sata drive woes...

ok I was using the auto feature in Core Center on my MSI K8t Neo Board... and it got to around 2260mhz and then crashed.
    So I rebooted and when it got to the windows xp loading screen, it promptly reboots the computer.

I have been trying for weeks to fix this up, but with no luck.
    I think that the overclock has corrupted the NTFS partition in some way. I am using the VIA SATA Controller.

Anyway, I have tried reloading windows xp, it gets to the stage where it analyzes the disks, it starts to analyse the SATA disk, then I get a BSOD, with a stop: 0x0024 error, something to do with ntfs.sys.

I have tried so many different boot disks to try and format the drive, but with no luck. Thing is I have managed to copy the important data of the partition which I beleive to be corrupt, using NTFSREAD, a dos utility. So the drive is Physically O.K.
    It seems no matter how I try to format the partition, I have no luck.

I can't boot into windows xp ( I re installed onto another ATA disk) with the SATA drive attached no matter what, it gets to the same stage at windows xp loading screen, then reboots. I can't boot into SAFE MODE.. I cant repair the windows installation, during win xp setup I get same ntfs.sys error.

As I mentioned earlier, I have tried many boot disks with the hope that I can salvage the partition, with no luck. I cant even format it.

cheers.
    System Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ @ Stock
    MSI K8T Neo - 1.2 BIOS
    512mb 3200 Corsair Ram @ 2.3.3.5
    S-Media ATI 9800 Pro @ Stock
    2x 120Gig WD HDD
    BENQ FP737s LCD
    Thermal Take 480W PSU

Yes one thing if your going to overclock the VIA controller is not the one to use. The Promise controller is more stable when it comes to overclocking. Did you have any kind of Raid setup at all. What are the Hard drives. You might try the manufactors diagnostic utility. They are listed at the top of the page in the Sticky. They can perform whats called a low level format on the drive. You may want to test the drives first do the long test. So you can install Windows on your Pata drive no problem and you cannot format the drive in Disk management either?

No RAID setup, only 1 drive connected to the VIA SATA Controller - that drive is the WD1200 Caviar Serial ATA Dard Drive 120gig model. MLD: WD1200JD - 00FYB0.

I have tried using the WD Data Lifegaurd utility, I did the long test, and there was no problems there at all with the SATA drive.

Yes I can install windows on the PATA drive, that is what I am using now. And no I can not format the SATA drive in disk management. The system will not boot windows with the SATA Disk attached to either the VIA or Promise controller, so unfortunatly it leaves me in a position where format is impossible.

It is so strange, I would think that at least I could boot with the SATA drive connected. Then through booting windows from the PATA disk, use disk management utilities to format the SATA drive, but yes unfortunatly, the system will not boot (from PATA drive) with this SATA drive connected.

I probably shouldn't have, but I even tried connecting the power to the SATA drive, when I have successfully booted into windows from the PATA drive. This worked once, and once only. Windows detected the drive, I thought YES!! I may finally be able to access the drive...but no, the SATA installed to the stage where I got an error. Something about an Server Access Database, if I remember correctly, error 21 or something.... I am guessing this is a security feature of some sort!! strange....
    Last edited by AMD.N00bert; 03-13-2004 at 03:40 AM.
    System Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ @ Stock
    MSI K8T Neo - 1.2 BIOS
    2x 120Gig WD HDD
    BENQ FP737s LCD
    Thermal Take 480W PSU

Since the drive tested clean. I would do the low level format on the drive and see if that will help you at all. Have you messed with the jumpers settings at all on the drive? They should be left as they came or removed all together.

Edit: What about the boot order have you changed the boot order to the Pata drive when you have the Sata drive attached?
    Last edited by themortarman; 03-13-2004 at 03:43 AM.

Yes I have messed with the jumpers, originally, the jumper was on 3 and 4.. Whilst trying to fix this problem, I have changed the jumpers, and now the drive wont actually power up with the jumper on 3 and 4. Strange... I guess I will take the jumper off all together then.

I am new to Low Level Formatting, will it mean that the entire disk will be erased, or just a particular partition of my choice?

I guess it means the whole drive..

Another thing that I noticed whilst attempting to boot the SATA drive through SAFE mode, it would get past mup.sys, onto xmasbus.sys in which it would ask me wether to skip this or not. I have tried skipping this, with no luck, still a reboot.

I found out this file was from a program I had installed Alchohol 120%.
    Seems wierd the system is crashing once it tries to load this file.

For a while I was looking around on the net, for a utility, I could use in DOS to access the drive, and delete this file ( plus another file Alchohol installs in /system32/drivers/ ). Unfortunatly no luck there, only read permission granted in programs like NTFSDOS, can copy from drive, but can not write.

Can not boot into safe mode to delete files and registry entries, so bad luck I suppose for me! Not even able to disable all non-microsoft services, then enable one at a time, to see if it was a problem with a particular service.

cheers.

EDIT - no I have not added the SATA drive to second in boot order. Will try this now. cheers.
    Last edited by AMD.N00bert; 03-13-2004 at 03:57 AM.
    System Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ @ Stock
    MSI K8T Neo - 1.2 BIOS
    2x 120Gig WD HDD
    BENQ FP737s LCD
    Thermal Take 480W PSU

Yes try a different boot order while you have the Pata drive attached. Maybe just do not have Sata in the order at all. Alcohol 120% creates a virtual drive this can cause problems at times. Low Level Format will wipe every thing off the drive. So you might try your hardest to boot to your Pata drive with the Sata drive attached so you can see what you can salvage. Here is something on Wd Sata drive Jumper settings. Scroll down the page some you will see it.

ok changed the boot option so that PATA drive is first, SATA drive is second... and still no luck !

It almost seems like when I have both drives connected, no matter what order I change to in boot options... the SATA drive is the one which the system chooses to boot.

Strange... I disabled boot other devices.. still no luck..
    so the SATA drive is d/c now.. and PATA drive loads windows fine.

Anyway I suppose my plan of attack now, is to copy everything off the SATA drive using NTFSDOS, or NTFSREAD...... write zero's to the whole drive... start again. Seems wierd that I can read data from SATA drive in this DOS utility, but can not delete anything. I assume that is once again a security feature of the NTFS file system.

Cheers

update: - Yes will try and do anything I can to get this SATA drive recognised without low level formatting...
    Thanks heaps for your help!!
    =)
    Last edited by AMD.N00bert; 03-13-2004 at 04:52 AM.
    System Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ @ Stock
    MSI K8T Neo - 1.2 BIOS
    2x 120Gig WD HDD
    BENQ FP737s LCD
    Thermal Take 480W PSU

I have scanned through your manual some but not to in depth. Is there option in the Motherboard bios or the Sata controllers that will enable or disable booting from Sata channels? By chance are you hooking the Pata drive to the Promise controller also. That would be the IDE channel down by the Sata ports.

Just had a quick look through the manual and I can't find anything about disabling booting from SATA channels.. At the moment I am running PATA disk from IDE1 connection on the motherboard, which resides just down from the main Power Supply MB connection.
    I think I might try connecting the SATA drive, and through tab' see if the VIA controller thinks that there is an Array of some sort.. just a stab in the dark really, but maybe it thinks there is an array.
    As for the BIOS I will have another look when I reboot, but from memory, there is no option independent option to disable SATA boot.
    I guess that the boot order will determine wether or not the drive is to be booted from... (Disabled / or Enabled ) I have tried disabling everything from boot devices except the PATA drive also, with no luck..
    System Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ @ Stock
    MSI K8T Neo - 1.2 BIOS
    2x 120Gig WD HDD
    BENQ FP737s LCD
    Thermal Take 480W PSU

Well see with some Boards Sata will take priority in the boot order over every thing. Since it has a Operating system with the Boot loader on it, it is going to try and boot from it.

hmm ok back to the manual I go

Just tried editing any options I could find in VIA controller menu, after VIA Controller has detected drive, I have option to press tab to configure RAID. Nothing seems out of the ordinary there, although I rebooted once more, with the SATA drive connected to the promise controller.. upon the Promise controller detecting the drive I pressed ctrl-f to edit options... and found that the SATA drive was configured to be part of an array. So I deleted the array, it asks me wether I wanted to delete the MBR, and told me if I did this all data would be lost from the drive. I entered NO and now there is no array. I rebooted, and I have been able to boot into windows from PATA drive, with the SATA drive connected!!....
    So I am in windows now with SATA connected on Promise controller...
    MSI Live Update seems to have found the update I need to install this disk, however am having no luck. It seems to think the drivers it has downloaded are not the correct drivers to install this drive with..
    Wierd huh? I would think Live Update would know what drivers the Promise controller would need to install, to run.

UPDATE: Ok I have am now in windows running off PATA drive. In the BIOS I set the Promise controller to RAID instead of SATA, windows loaded up fine like this, and windows even installed the promise raid controller drivers, all without a hitch.

Problem is, this doesn't really help me, because I am not running a RAID setup.

One thing I did notice in the BIOS was under PNP / PCI configuration, there was an option to either enable or disable PCI IDE Busmaster... I thought maybe this could be the reason why the controller is forcing boot from SATA drive. But changed to disable, and Promise controller overrides the BIOS setting and says its actually enabled!!
    Last edited by AMD.N00bert; 03-13-2004 at 05:48 AM.
    System Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ @ Stock
    MSI K8T Neo - 1.2 BIOS
    2x 120Gig WD HDD
    BENQ FP737s LCD
    Thermal Take 480W PSU

Well good looks like your Getting somewhere. I would get whats important of the drive and see if you can format it in "Disk Management" and start all over.

Edit: So your hook up to the PRomise controller? I think there are Raid drivers and Non- Raid drivers for that controller.

Let me see I may be wrong about the drivers. What happens when you try install them. Are you letting Windows search for the Drivers or are you choosing the drivers to install?

The Promise controller is different then the VIA controller even though your not running Raid you still have to setup a single drive Raid Array and use the Raid drivers.

hmm unfortunatly, the drive is setup in BIOS as RAID.. but is actually only single SATA drive.. so Although the controller has installed the drivers o.k..
    I can not see the drive anywhere, not even in Disk Management. I assume that is because it would need to be in an array with another disk. When I set promise controller to SATA, same problem, system will not boot, from PATA or SATA.
    There are formatted NTFS partitions on the disk, so I would imagine, if the drive was accessable in windows, I would at least see these partitions. But I can't even see the drive

The only way I will be able to backup data from the SATA drive, I know of so far, is through NTFSREAD.. which runs through DOS.
    System Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ @ Stock
    MSI K8T Neo - 1.2 BIOS
    2x 120Gig WD HDD
    BENQ FP737s LCD
    Thermal Take 480W PSU