Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is 7.1 worth it for games?

I'm starting to think about new speakers - maybe in a few months... I currently use a 5.1 Creative setup that's a couple years old maybe. Is 7.1 a real step up? Or is it just more wires and speakers to manage? And are games coded for 7.1? Or does it take 5.1 and route it out as 7.1 somehow? If I code music, for example, in 5.1 and want to hear it in 5.1 - can I? And - in the same scenario, can I also hear it in 7.1? Or does it not translate?

And does anyone have the Creative T7700s? Are they nice?

Cheers.
    Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2
    EVGA 780i
    e8400 @ 3.8GHz
    4GB OCZ RAM (2x2)
    EVGA GTX 280
    SoundBlaster X-Fi
    Western Digital Raptor: 300GB, 150GB
    27" DoubleSight LCD @ 1920x1200

the eaxHD engine can do 7.1 discrete channels in games.

is it a big step over 5.1? NO.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

the best setup for gaming is headphones...

but to answer your question, there isn't a real benefit from moving up to 7.1 from 5.1

cheers.

Originally posted by lidistick on 03-29-2004 at 03:00 AM
    the best setup for gaming is headphones...

but to answer your question, there isn't a real benefit from moving up to 7.1 from 5.1

cheers.
    Major disagreement on both your statements.

two channel sound? How is that better than 5 or 7 (.1)? How can people possibly THINK this? I really quite enjoy having a good thumping subwoofer, not to mention 7 other channels of DIRECTIONAL sound, not just approximating a full 360 degrees worth of directionality from two speakers at your ears.

I'm sure it helps that headphones block out other sounds (those damned noisy computer fans, for instance), but pump up your volume on the surround system while your girlfriend/wife/parents aren't around, and you don't hear them anyways.

5.1, hmm, well, maybe not a HUGE difference from 7.1, but still, it helps for games. Now instead of having two channels covering 4 directions (two sides, two rears), you can tell if something is really to your side, or more to the back. It's helped many times in BF1942 for me to find the enemy quickly.

I would say that even compared to 6.1, 7.1 a bit better since, again, the side channels are used only for side (and anything halfway between the side and rear-side speaker, approximately 60 degrees of coverage on both sides of the side speaker, depending on your software config, vs 90 between the side and rear for 6.1.

I just some thoughts on the placement of speakers and software configuration, so I will be posting a new thread based on it!

5.1 is 5 discrete sides. i have no idea where you are getting 2 channels.

7.1 adds 2 more rear channels...it may help, but not all that much.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Originally posted by schmoppa on 03-31-2004 at 02:33 AM
    Major disagreement on both your statements.

two channel sound? How is that better than 5 or 7 (.1)? How can people possibly THINK this? I really quite enjoy having a good thumping subwoofer, not to mention 7 other channels of DIRECTIONAL sound, not just approximating a full 360 degrees worth of directionality from two speakers at your ears.

its because you only have 2 ears. good headphones with a good EAX engine will whoop any 5.1 setup.

5.1, hmm, well, maybe not a HUGE difference from 7.1, but still, it helps for games. Now instead of having two channels covering 4 directions (two sides, two rears), you can tell if something is really to your side, or more to the back. It's helped many times in BF1942 for me to find the enemy quickly.

I would say that even compared to 6.1, 7.1 a bit better since, again, the side channels are used only for side (and anything halfway between the side and rear-side speaker, approximately 60 degrees of coverage on both sides of the side speaker, depending on your software config, vs 90 between the side and rear for 6.1.

I just some thoughts on the placement of speakers and software configuration, so I will be posting a new thread based on it!
    I've never gamed in 7.1 but for DVD's ... there really isn't much difference simply due to the fact that there aren't ANY DVD's in 7.1

so going up to 7.1 is pretty much marketing anyway. I'm not saying don't buy it...I'm saying you are not going to get a HUGE difference.

Cheers.

Originally posted by lidistick on 03-30-2004 at 09:51 PM
    its because you only have 2 ears. [/B]
    wow. just wow.

Originally posted by lidistick on 03-31-2004 at 03:51 AM

its because you only have 2 ears. . [/B]

LOL! I can't stop laughing . .

I prefer my Sennheiser headphones for a game like Q3 because it helps with locating enemies.
    But I prefer my 5.1 speakers for Call of Duty, IL-2, and DVD movies because it's just better, hands down. Headphones don't do a game like call of duty or a DVD justice. Front Left, Center, Front Right, Rear Right, Rear Left.

For gaming headphones are the best... not $20 logitech/labtech ones, but above $50 from well-known brands.

The two ear argument is quite valid... nature has given us two sensors for sound -- two ears, and for millions of years our ears have evolved the way they are right now...

if 6 channel sound was more helpful to our surviving we would have had 6 ears...
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    AMD 2100+ ocd -to- 2.1 GHZ
    Thermalright SLK 800 HSF w/ 80mm fan
    ABIT NF7-S v2.0 ocd -to- 400 FSB
    ATI 9800 Pro 128 DDR - Retail
    1x512 DDR 400 PC 3200
    WD800JB - ATA 100 - 7200 rpm
    Audigy2 w/ Monsoon MH 505 5.1/Sennheiser HD580
    LiteOn 52x32x52 CD-RW - LiteOn 16x DVD ROM
    Windows Xp Pro - w/ Service Pack 1
    LG Flatron 777 fn-plus - CRT
    Logitech MX500 W/ RatPadzGS
    Logitech Elite Keyboard (Black)

I never cared much about surround sound. I can't stand the sound of most satellites and I wouldn't want to spend a few hundred dollars on "good" surround sound speakers. Studio monitors over surround any day.

Headphones are okay, they help many times. Ear fatigue sucks though.

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring Banaaaaana phone

Last edited by a cat : yesterday at 05-11-2004 at 11:09 AM

Regarding the "two ears" philosophy, I don't think it holds water. We have two ears, but sound sources are plentiful, coming from all directions for those two ears to detect and pinpoint. I have a pair of $100 Sony headphones (7506's) I use most of the time. Sometimes I use my 5.1 setup when it won't bother roommates. What's nice about surround is that the sound sources themselves - like guns fring, feet shuffling, grenades clinking, etc. - are represented more faithfully because they actually, physically come from behind, left, front, etc.. I think it is BECAUSE we have 2 ears developed the way they have to detect directions that surround is superior to headphones for localizing sounds. Other opinions?

I guess my question (original post) was whether 7.1 was better than 5.1 (notable improvement of directionality/sound localization/general game immersion). Sounds like it's a minor improvement. I think I'll pick up some 7.1 speakers sometime, but not right now.
    Last edited by Rangoon; 04-01-2004 at 01:09 AM.

Originally posted by Rangoon on 03-31-2004 at 11:07 PM
    Regarding the "two ears" philosophy, I don't think it holds water. We have two ears, but sound sources are plentiful, coming from all directions for those two ears to detect and pinpoint.
    THANK YOU. I just came back to this thread, and saw people had ganged up on my ideas! Obviously people are entitled to their opinions, and they may have had better luck with headphones than surround speakers, but I agree: sound comes from 360 degrees, and your two ears (and brain) determine from which direction the sound is coming from.

If only we could move our ears like horses and deer!

With two speakers, I suppose you have to resort to software tricks to trick your brain into determining which direction the sound was "coming" from. There's no other explanation for it that I can think of.

And Lidistick, I never said it was a huge difference either, but maybe it's like the difference between mp3s encoded at 160bps and 256. Both sound good, heck, even 128 ain't bad. But at the "256 level," 7.1 surround offers more "resolution" in directionality than 5.1 so you have to resort LESS to software bridging the gap with a sound source between two speakers. I think the smaller the arc between speakers, the better your results will be. Real life is one big speaker surrounding you from all angles (including above and below!)

And if we lived near each other, I would definitely take you up on your challenge to compare your headphones with my 7.1 surround system! As we probably don't live near each other, we'll have to be content on starting a nasty flame war!

To be honest, I'm sure there are probably pros and cons to either method, but obviously I'm biased into believing that there are more pros and fewer cons with a good surround system and good sound card than good headphones, and, your "two-ears => two sound source directions" argument not withstanding, I think the facts support physical surround sound versus virtual surround sound.

My friend, who installs big-time surround sound systems and $10,000 plasmas (not that I think plasmas are any good, especially if images burn in) on a daily basis even said he was very impressed by just how well my surround system worked, and he proceeded to take over my system and play Call of Duty and BF1942 for about an hour while I patiently watched. It was hard to pry him off, I was like "Dude, don't you have to go back to work or something?" (I used to be that kid that would take the 8-bit nintendo controller away from my friends and say, "wait, wait, let me show you a secret," or "let me get you past this hard part" and wind up hogging the machine. My friends still make fun of me for it. ) I even asked him if he was being honest and not just trying to make me feel better about my new purchase of the soundcard and speakers (special price of $500 for Audigy 2 zs platimum and Gigaworks 750s - good, but still not cheap), and he said he honestly thought they were great.

Anyways, those are my thoughts.
    Last edited by schmoppa; 04-01-2004 at 08:46 AM.

the audigy2 and gigaworks is excellent, probably one of the best combos you can get for the PC...and the best for gaming.

while some regard thx as a marketing label, the truth is they don't give junk a thx certification.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case