Question

Hi,

After cracking the core of my 1GHz tbird, I've been reading a lot of reviews that stated that the Super Orbs are Athlon killers (some of the fault was my own, I admit) because of the difficulty of unclipping and the clip force. The only other highly rated fan HSF combo I've been able to find locally are:

1. GlobalWin FOP32
    2. GlobalWin FOP38

The main reason I wanna change from the Super Orb is because of the potential damage to future processors (a new one is on the way...). But I've also read that the clips and installation on the FOP HSFs are problematic as well. And with the FOP-38, there's the added complication of louder noise. Can anyone (or EVERYONE) who's ever used either of these coolers give me some comments/feedbacks on them? I'm still trying to decide, and am waiting for the Silverado or Swiftech to arrive here, which won't happen for a couple of months, at least!

Also, I've seen some people at the local stored do modifications to their HSFs by mounting another fan on the SIDE of the heatsink, giving two fans on the square HSF, one blowing/sucking top to bottom, and one left to right. Has anyone tried this?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    S!ashman

I used a Fop32-1 for a couple of weeks and for a budget HS/F I thought it did a pretty good job. I didn't have any problems installing or uninstalling it at all on my Abit KT7A. I will say however that I had the motherboard out of the case when I installed or removed the HS. I have a slide out motherboard tray in my case which makes the process quite simple.

Cool

You might want to consider one of the online suppliers for a wider range of available HSF's. Where I live, I'm lucky to be able to find the most basic of heatsinks from the local retailers.

Well, I would consider online purchasin, except that I live in Malaysia, and even if companies were to ship here, I fear the shipping cost would be horrendously expensive. The two GlobalWin models are available here from a local retailer, and I'm only getting 'em because of all the negative comments on the Super Orbs, which, by the way, was the cause of my last cracked tbird core. So, anyone with any opinions on the GlobalWin Fop-32 and FOP-38 HSF's please let me know. Thanks

Slash

Unhappy ...with all due respect...

....sometimes we make mistakes too.

Unfortunately, blaming the cracked core on the super orb itself may not be fair. I've built severl PCs using both the chrome orb and the super orb for other people, and have removed and reattached my own chrome orb about 2-3 times.

Basically, you just have to be careful. Any highquality heatsink/fan combo is going to put some pressure on the core. Itz just a matter of taking your time. Usually, the best way to install the combo is to angle it in to first attach the side with the 3-attachment holes. Then slowly push down on the single clip side, until you can easily slide the clip over the latch.

CNS, A+, Network+, Server+
    Next up, MCP: Windows 2K3 Server, Exchange 2K3, SQL 2K

Primary Workstation: AMD Athlon64 3000+ | Biostar IDEq 200P | 2 x 512 MB ULTRA DDR433 PC3500 CAS 2-2-2-6 | 1 x 120 GB Maxtor UDMA-133 8 MB cache | PNY NVIDIA GeForceFX 5900 400 core, 850 memory w/VIVO | NEC Black DVD-+RW/CD-RW 8x4x16x, 32x16x32x | Sony Black 1.44 MB Floppy Drive | Microsoft Windows XP SP1 (...anxiously awaiting stable version of Windows XP64)

Home Server: AMD K6-2 333@400 | 256MB PC-133@100 3-3-3 | ST Labs PCI IDE RAID Controller | 2 x 15GB Maxtor 7.2K RPM UDMA-100 RAID1 | GeForce2 MX 32MB | Mitsumi 4x4x8 CD-RW | Win2K Server SP3, running DHCP, DNS, RAS, and Terminal Services (in remote admin mode)

Laptop: Compaq Presario 910CA | AthlonXP 1500+ | Mobile Radeon IGP320 | 256MB DDR-266 | 30GB Fujitsu 4.2K RPM UDMA-100 | 8x8x8x24 DVD/CD-RW | Microsoft Windows XP SP1

I'm not blaming the Orb entirely, notice that I said in my first post:

[/quote]
    "After cracking the core of my 1GHz tbird, I've been reading a lot of reviews that stated that the Super Orbs are Athlon killers (some of the fault was my own, I admit) because of the difficulty of unclipping and the clip force.."
    [/quote]

Human error is mostly responsible for cracked or chipped cores, but I think that poor design of the clipping mechanism also plays a big part in potentially causing these, ahem, mishaps. In the case of my Orb, the installation of the Orb was not too bad, it was the removal that was difficult, and caused the chipped core. No, I'm not saying I'm not to blame, I have since ordered a new tbird, but the whole reason for this thread was to get some thoughts on what other possible fan/HSF combos out there that wern't as Athlon-unfriendly as the SuperOrb. Thanks for the replys thus far!

Regards
    S!ashman

Before my Swiftech, I had a PEP 66 with two Y/S 26 cfm fans. One was an intake & the other mounted in the regular position as the exhaust. It was a good combo. I hate the loud Delta 60mm 38cfm fan so I went this way. I also tried a pair of Y/S 21cfm quiet fans but the temp rose by 2*C over the 26 cfm setup.

I upgraded to the Swiftech 462A with the special Delta fan. I purchased the rherostat & set it to almost the lowest speed. It has loud whine at full power. I tried several combinations including a Paniflo 92mm L, 92mm H, & a 80mm H fan. All never cooled as good as the Delta on low. The Delta has a set of fixed veins that straighten the fan out that creates more air pressure than the other fans. Of course, it also increases the dBa level. I gained -3*C over the Aphla PEP 66 with two fans. Don't really think it was worth the $$$. Should have went with a water cooler setup.

Pat
    Asus A7V133 133GHz 266 T-Bird 10.0x133 KingMax PC-150 Ram SwifTech 462-A CPU Cooler Enermax 430w P/S Hercules GTS Pro SB MP3 5.1+ Plextor Burner Pioneer DVD BA 7500 Sound

Grandpa's Need For Speed

fop32 -8 vs volcano

had a chance to include the super orb in this review however it simply wouldnt cut the heat from my 1 gig so I chose not to in clude it . hope this helps abit.
    Foxx

Hot deals trading rules
    rig
    950 i7 core,evga ftw3 mobo,3x2 gigpc12000,1xevga480, 4 x 74 g raptors, 2- 500gb seagates,46inch lcd monitor max res 1920\1080,obsidian 800d

Thumbs up

Greetings from downunder (NZ)..

I think it probably boils down to how much noise you are willing to endure I run a FOP32-1 that came with my 1G Athlon and it isnt too bad. Average temps are anywhere from 35-45 depending on ambient and whether Folding@home is running. Fitting the thing was a bit scary but I've had it off and on without crunching anything! This is using the normal pink goo(TIM) it comes standard with. Worst problem was when I did remove it and had to scrape off the goo and use normal paste, my temps went up 1-2C on average

Considering your looking at upgrading later the 32 should be fine.

Setup:
    Epox 8KTA3
    Athlon 1G
    FOP32-1
    Triple booting Mandrake 7.1/Win98/Win2K server.
    512M RAM (when it was cheap)

Cheers zl1afz
    (AKA Jono)