Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs up Gentoo Quick Install Guide!!!!

OK for those that already know this , the old Gentoo 1.4
    installation guide isnt exactly correct. Because the new Gentoo 2004 doesnt have packages.

I found this Quick Install Guide to be better than the one on Gentoos Site.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6589

"Any Gentoo user knows how great this distro is. Any Gentoo user also knows the amount of time it takes to install this distro, and to damage your partition is just not an affordable option. I've managed to take the standard 20-30 hour installation and bring it down to about 2-3 hours of time. This guide will try and lead you into the correct direction of the Gentoo installation. It will NOT give you all the apps, Window Managers and so on you are looking for in the distro, but it will get you to the point where it will be very easy to have an operating computer while getting those things."

And for all the Gentoo newbs here is my proof of your going to need at least 2-3 hours to get gentoo up and running. But this is the best guide I have found yet.

Let me know what you think!

EDIT: and thats 2-3 hours with only having ICEWM as a Desktop. The author is not mentioning adding the time frame of KDE or GNOME!
    Last edited by 64Bit; 04-06-2004 at 01:00 PM.

I don't know looks close to what on gentoo.org and doesn't something seem missing? When I built my first 2.6 kernel I had made a /sys partition before hand as did many others. Is this just a unnecessary step? now what about the resolv.conf didn't see any mention of that.
    I made an attemp of an install guide myself I guess I missed somethings myself. I totally forgot about nano Guide

I can see there is much need for a complete and accurate install guide and I bet if someone uploaded their disfiles to the net and kept them upto date gentoo could be installed in less than an hour or there about including gnome or kde.

Have you seen the system repair cd? pretty cool. it's based on gentoo you could use it instead to install gentoo and use qtparted to make partitons and links to get portage and stage and is compiled with fb so it uses graphic instead of text also now someone has made a graphical install so eithier way should make thing happen faster. Grapical installer
    XP1800+@2011 FSB 175
    Epox 8kha+
    samsung ddr 2700
    Gentoo w/ ltsp4
    Diskless client:
    XP1800+@1609, XP1800+@1609, XP1800+@1609, XP1700+@1540

Cool

Originally posted by res0r9lm on 04-07-2004 at 05:03 PM
    I don't know looks close to what on gentoo.org and doesn't something seem missing? When I built my first 2.6 kernel I had made a /sys partition before hand as did many others. Is this just a unnecessary step? now what about the resolv.conf didn't see any mention of that.
    I made an attemp of an install guide myself I guess I missed somethings myself. I totally forgot about nano Guide

I can see there is much need for a complete and accurate install guide and I bet if someone uploaded their disfiles to the net and kept them upto date gentoo could be installed in less than an hour or there about including gnome or kde.

Have you seen the system repair cd? pretty cool. it's based on gentoo you could use it instead to install gentoo and use qtparted to make partitons and links to get portage and stage and is compiled with fb so it uses graphic instead of text also now someone has made a graphical install so eithier way should make thing happen faster. Grapical installer

I had to go look for it,, no I didnt do that so I would imagine that you dont need it since I am currently running the 2.6.5 kernel and "knock on wood" I dont have any issues what so ever. Take a look at my desktop pic , it shows my Emerge Info.

I never did that , course there is alot more to this list that I did do though. But I understand the author is just showing us a quick version to get you up and running.

A fast gentoo install would be GRP route. I think the fastest way to learn the ins and outs of gentoo is just to do a stage 1 or 2 install.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Originally posted by 64Bit on 04-07-2004 at 10:51 PM
    I had to go look for it,, no I didnt do that so I would imagine that you dont need it since I am currently running the 2.6.5 kernel and "knock on wood" I dont have any issues what so ever. Take a look at my desktop pic , it shows my Emerge Info.

I never did that , course there is alot more to this list that I did do though. But I understand the author is just showing us a quick version to get you up and running.
    so what part are you saying you didn't have to do make /sys or cp /etc/resolv.conf? I did have to create /sys but I have an older install than you have that may that has something to do with it.
    bash-2.05b# emerge info
    Portage 2.0.50-r3 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.3, glibc-2.3.3_pre20040207-r0, 2.6.4-gentoo-r1)
    =================================================================
    System uname: 2.6.4-gentoo-r1 i686 AMD Athlon(tm)
    Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.13p1
    Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r3
    Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.3
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
    AUTOCLEAN="yes"
    CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -funroll-loops -fprefetch-loop-arrays -pipe -msse -mmmx -m3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    COMPILER="gcc3"
    CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.1/share/config /usr/kde/3.2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /var/bind /var/qmail/control"
    CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
    CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -funroll-loops -fprefetch-loop-arrays -pipe -msse -mmmx -m3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer"
    DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
    FEATURES="autoaddcvs buildpkg ccache fixpackages sandbox"
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/ http://128.213.5.34/gentoo/ http://mirror.tucdemonic.org/gentoo/ http://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo"
    MAKEOPTS="-j2"
    PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
    PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
    PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
    PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
    SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
    USE="3dnow X alsa apm arts avi berkdb cdr crypt cups encode esd foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk2 imlib java jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod mmx motif mozilla mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl slang spell sse ssl svga tcltk tcpd truetype x86 xml2 xmms xv zlib"
    XP1800+@2011 FSB 175
    Epox 8kha+
    samsung ddr 2700
    Gentoo w/ ltsp4
    Diskless client:

Originally posted by res0r9lm on 04-08-2004 at 02:58 AM
    so what part are you saying you didn't have to do make /sys or cp /etc/resolv.conf? I did have to create /sys but I have an older install than you have that may that has something to do with it.

I didnt do make /sys,, but I did do cp /etc/resolv.conf

Oh and now I understand with the older install.

This guide is a QUICK installer the author definetly fails to mention alot of things you will need. But it will get you up in a decent amount of time (for Gentoo, LOL).

Other things I have to add are.

Emerge -k dhcpcd

Emerge -k nvidia-kernel && nvidia-glx

all the extras, but necessities.

I agree with Provicemo. I did a GRP 1 install from CDs and was up and running in no time (well, maybe some amount of time ). This is a really great way to get Gentoo going without all of the frustration. I then spent several 100? hours getting everything up to date snd working (almost) the way I wanted it to, but now I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. Currently I'm even kind of on the beta bleeding edge on some things. The really good thing about Gentoo is you don't have to worry about going from a really great working version 9.1 to a "I hope it upgrades so I don't have to reinstall," version 10 type scenerio.
    [size=1/2]____________________________________________

Mandrake/Slackware/Gentoo Machine - ECS L7S7A2 | Barton 2500+ (locked)| 06/19/03 Bios | SIS746/963 | Thermalright 800A + Delta SHE 80mm | 2x256 Corsair XMS PC2700 | IBM 40g GXP | Pioneer 16x DVD | Zip 250 | Winfast MX2 video | Enlight case + Enermax 365 PS | Yamaha Waveforce sound | Fostex 3.1 studio monitors | Viewsonic 19" G90f | Mandrake 9.2/Slackware 9.1/Gentoo 1.4/Win XP

Home construction at http://www.glorfeld.com
    [/size]
    Lou_The_Blue_Guru - For those working with computers that havenít figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism

Originally posted by LouTheBlueGuru on 04-08-2004 at 08:43 PM
    I agree with Provicemo. I did a GRP 1 install from CDs and was up and running in no time (well, maybe some amount of time ). This is a really great way to get Gentoo going without all of the frustration. I then spent several 100? hours getting everything up to date snd working (almost) the way I wanted it to, but now I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. Currently I'm even kind of on the beta bleeding edge on some things. The really good thing about Gentoo is you don't have to worry about going from a really great working version 9.1 to a "I hope it upgrades so I don't have to reinstall," version 10 type scenerio.
    [size=1/2]____________________________________________

Mandrake/Slackware/Gentoo Machine - ECS L7S7A2 | Barton 2500+ (locked)| 06/19/03 Bios | SIS746/963 | Thermalright 800A + Delta SHE 80mm | 2x256 Corsair XMS PC2700 | IBM 40g GXP | Pioneer 16x DVD | Zip 250 | Winfast MX2 video | Enlight case + Enermax 365 PS | Yamaha Waveforce sound | Fostex 3.1 studio monitors | Viewsonic 19" G90f | Mandrake 9.2/Slackware 9.1/Gentoo 1.4/Win XP

Home construction at http://www.glorfeld.com
    [/size]
    I agree with you Lou and probably thats why I am sticking with Gentoo, but the very same "Beta" Packages that us gentoo users use are the same packages on Beta releases of Fedora & Mandrake, etc.

I for one am a Beta Tester I run the 2.6.5_rc3 kernel and I know the 2.6.5 is final, just to lazy to upgrade it , LOL . I will do it when I get some time.

So basically anytime you see a RC in your emerge portage your a beta tester too. LOL

Also the GRP install was Good for 1.4 version (2 Discs) but with the new 2004 (1 disc) version there isnt hardly any packages to Install so basically if you want KDE & Gnome you have no options.

Its still the quickest way to get going and I have only done 2 GRP installs ,,all the rest (3) have been Stage1 , like my system is now. Why so many installs you ask,, well It took me a few times before I found out I had a bad HD. New one is in now and been running the same Gentoo install for over 3 weeks, Knock on wood. LOL

Peace.

I think the best thing to do for people how are lazy and think Gentoo will take forever to install is to do the GRP install, get a working DE up and running then just do an 'emerge -e world' with the make.conf settings tweaked to your liking.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

...but with the new 2004 (1 disc) version there isnt hardly any packages to Install so basically if you want KDE & Gnome you have no options.

64Bit - I just checked and the two disk set is available for 2004 version.
    Lou_The_Blue_Guru - For those working with computers that havenít figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism

Question

Originally posted by Provicemo on 04-09-2004 at 08:11 PM
    I think the best thing to do for people how are lazy and think Gentoo will take forever to install is to do the GRP install, get a working DE up and running then just do an 'emerge -e world' with the make.conf settings tweaked to your liking.

And lets be honest emerge world takes how long?? LOL

Talking

Originally posted by LouTheBlueGuru on 04-09-2004 at 08:12 PM
    64Bit - I just checked and the two disk set is available for 2004 version.
    http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=45

Yeah one is a Minimal (server) install and the other is the normal.

Like I said 2004 = 1 Disc , no packages!!!

Same thing
    here also!

And thats right off one of Gentoo's Mirrors!

Bottomline: There are no KDE or GNOME packages on 2004 GRP Install.

Peace!!
    Last edited by 64Bit; 04-09-2004 at 09:51 PM.

64 is right; there is no GRP release for 2004.0. It is unknown (straight from the dev's mouth) whether 2004.1 will have a GRP release. I imagine it will, since they still have documentation for GRP installs up, and that they simply didn't have time to get GRP in sync with their new release format before they released 2004.0.
    "To follow knowledge like a sinking star / Beyond the utmost bound of human thought ... To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    --from "Ulysses", Tennyson

well then that are these ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gent...ecd/athlon-xp/
    edit: and yes there is gnome and kde.
    XP1800+@2011 FSB 175
    Epox 8kha+
    samsung ddr 2700
    Gentoo w/ ltsp4
    Diskless client:

Question

Originally posted by res0r9lm on 04-10-2004 at 01:20 AM
    well then that are these ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gent...ecd/athlon-xp/
    edit: and yes there is gnome and kde.
    THATS THE SAME FRIGGIN CD,,1 DISC AND THERE ARE NO PACKAGES ON THE DISC.

This isnt an arguement and I am not making this up, are you guys just stubborn or is the Gentoo brainwashing creating headaches???

Please let me know!!!