Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Strange...when I mount iso it only has packages and portage there isn't anything that could even remotely be considered a live cd.
    XP1800+@2011 FSB 175
    Epox 8kha+
    samsung ddr 2700
    Gentoo w/ ltsp4
    Diskless client:
    XP1800+@1609, XP1800+@1609, XP1800+@1609, XP1700+@1540

Originally posted by res0r9lm on 04-10-2004 at 03:06 PM
    Strange...when I mount iso it only has packages and portage there isn't anything that could even remotely be considered a live cd.
    Strange then your the only one and you better contact Gentoo because your getting more out of their disk than what they put on it.

BTW , I downloaded the ISO that you posted here and made a cd and there isnt any KDE or GNOME packages on the cd.

Are you getting GRP install mixed up with Stage 1 by chance??

Later.

actually I bet the one I have was downloaded from another server I have had it for a litttle bit. like I said there is nothing on it that would boot a system. I just assumed all the mirrors have the same iso appearently the iso I downloaded was the wrong one. I think something is wrong because I don't see any stages or anything. All I see is packages and portage. BTW you don't have to burn an iso you can just mount it. it goes something like mount -o loop <iso> <mount point>
    XP1800+@2011 FSB 175
    Epox 8kha+
    samsung ddr 2700
    Gentoo w/ ltsp4
    Diskless client:

Pre-built packages included on the optimized second disc:

Desktop Environments: KDE, GNOME, fluxbox, openbox, enlightenment
    Productivity Software: evolution, tetex, others
    Web Browsing: Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox 0.8
    Software Development: gcc 3.3.3, vim, emacs, xemacs, and a huge collection of development libraries and toolkits
    Hardware Support: Highlights include free and proprietary NVIDIA graphics card drivers, SoundBlaster Live!/Audigy/Audigy 2 support, NVIDIA NForce 3 network and audio support
    Well, maybe I'm imagining things, but I just ordered a CD set like this from Linux Central! This description comes from the Gentoo store! Maybe they are riping people off by lying about what you get?
    Lou_The_Blue_Guru - For those working with computers that havenít figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism

Lightbulb

Originally posted by LouTheBlueGuru on 04-10-2004 at 10:32 PM
    Well, maybe I'm imagining things, but I just ordered a CD set like this from Linux Central! This description comes from the Gentoo store! Maybe they are riping people off by lying about what you get?

Maybe,, how many CD's do you have and WHAT VERSION???

Gentoo 1.4 is 2 cd set.

Gentoo 2004 is 1 CD SET!~

Unless your getting a package disc that I havent seen yet there isnt a package disc for CD 2.

And if you still think there is ,please back it up dont just tell me about it , because your right I DONT believe it until I see it with my own eyes.

So POST A LINK TO THE FACT PLEASE!!!

Also maybe on the one your buy,,but this is OPEN SOURCE , not Microsoft , and can you please post a link to the 2nd CD anywhere I would love to have(download) it.

Thanks!

EDIT : And this is from your 64Bit post Quote I just ordered a Gentoo 2004 2 CD set for the AMD 64 from linux Central ($8) End Quote.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE 32BIT VERSION HERE. THANKS!!!!
    Last edited by 64Bit; 04-11-2004 at 12:19 AM.

http://store.gentoo.org/product_info...aa4fef773361e6

Look here! This is what I want, but the same thing is available for the x86!
    Lou_The_Blue_Guru - For those working with computers that havenít figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism

Red face

Here once again!

Check this link out right off one of Gentoos mirrors!

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu...ges/athlon-xp/

The first one is the minimal install. The second one is the Basic 2004 install WITHOUT KDE & GNOME.

Man, how many times must I keep repeating myself.

This is getting old quick!

Lightbulb

Originally posted by LouTheBlueGuru on 04-10-2004 at 11:21 PM
    http://store.gentoo.org/product_info...aa4fef773361e6

Look here! This is what I want, but the same thing is available for the x86!

LOU Thats for the AMD64,,,

Show me one for the 32 bit please!

YOU CANT!

EDIT: UNLESS YOU BUY IT!!

I AINT PAYING 8 BUCKS FOR SOMEONE PUTTING PACKAGES ON A DISC. WHAT HAPPENED TO OPEN SOURCE???
    Last edited by 64Bit; 04-11-2004 at 12:29 AM.

Talking LOL,,,

I Look back on this thread and ROFL,,,

Lou your a good guy,,but all I am asking for is a link to where I can download for free the 2nd cd for Gentoo 2004.

Bottomline: You cant,, its not available.

I am not talking about BUYING something.

Thanks! & Peaceout!!!

http://store.gentoo.org/product_info...195b84a9<br /> Here it is for the x86 (not free). I don't understand your problem? I'll tell you what I get when I get it. I like to have CD's for my inststalls and don't mind paying a few dollars to get good ones - I've had iso problems in the past (is $8 that much to get excited about?).
    Last edited by LouTheBlueGuru; 04-11-2004 at 12:41 AM.

Originally posted by LouTheBlueGuru on 04-10-2004 at 11:35 PM
    http://store.gentoo.org/product_info...195b84a9<br /> Here it is for the x86. I don't understand your problem? I'll tell you what I get when I get it. I like to have CD's for my inststalls and don't mind paying a few dollars to get good ones - I've had iso problems in the past.

THE PROBLEM IS LOU ITS NOT OPEN SOURCE.

Its not free to the public, if it was it would be on a Gentoo Mirror.

What your buying is someone (group) who downloads the packages and puts them on a disk.

My whole point was simple and that was Gentoo 2004 only comes as 1 Disc and yet this keeps going on how there is a second one. There ISNT a second one. I am not talking about a store boughten cd. I am talking about one from Gentoo Mirrrors.

A good Example is Gentoo 1.4 CAME WITH 2 CDS and the KDE & GNOME on the 2nd CD. You didnt have to BUY IT anywhere it was released with the Distro..

Maybe it's not really free, but it sure is cheap. In fact it might be a good idea to support Gentoo and pay the $20 and not get it from Linux Central and only pay $8! There is NO free lunch! Those guys at Gentoo are doing alot of work for a very cheap return.

Red face

Originally posted by LouTheBlueGuru on 04-10-2004 at 11:47 PM
    Maybe it's not really free, but it sure is cheap. In fact it might be a good idea to support Gentoo and pay the $20 and not get it from Linux Central and only pay $8! There is NO free lunch! Those guys at Gentoo are doing alot of work for a very cheap return.

See what your saying is SO MESSED UP!!

Support GENTOO,,,LINUX IS OPEN SOURCE. Linus Torvalds DID NOT want linux to be a merchandise product. What the Movie " The Code Linux" , its not all english ,but you get the point.

The minute you start giving into the " Offer my money to support them BS" Your no better than the millions who made Bill Gates what he is today.

Those guys at Gentoo are doing what they love to do, they didnt do it to GET RICH,, I am not saying that if they offer like T-Shirts and stuff like that you shouldnt pay. I think that kind of support is Fine. But for the actual DISTRO itself, to offer packages on a CD and NOT have the same ISO on a mirror is just plain WRONG. FOR ANY LINUX DISTRO.

Not Just Gentoo. Look what XFREE86 is trying to do and Mandrake isnt much better , they do the same thing. Offer a Download Version and then a Power version. But Mandrake just squeeked out of not being bankrupt , so I cant yell at them.

Bottomline: IF they produce the CD , they should charge for it. But DONT release a Distro and leave it half ass done and SELL the OTHER HALF.

Thats just wrong. Linux is Open-Source and should forever stay that way. But I doubt very likely that it will.

Just my 3 cents, Peace.

64bit I must have got the wrong iso and ended up with the 2nd imaginary cd. if you have a place to upload it I will upload it for you.
    XP1800+@2011 FSB 175
    Epox 8kha+
    samsung ddr 2700
    Gentoo w/ ltsp4
    Diskless client:

This is what on the cd.
    Code:
    root@server ralph # md5sum '/home/ralph/packages-athlon-xp-2004.0.iso' ca622786e5c1e8af87893e71fe05fbfa  /home/ralph/packages-athlon-xp-2004.0.iso
    root@server ralph # umount /mnt/cdrom
    root@server ralph # mount -o loop '/home/ralph/packages-athlon-xp-2004.0.iso' /m nt/backup
    root@server ralph # cd /mnt/backup root@server backup # ls
    All          dev-db       media-libs     net-mail                  x11-libs
    app-admin    dev-java     media-plugins  net-misc                  x11-misc
    app-arch     dev-lang     media-sound    net-nds                   x11-terms
    app-cdr      dev-libs     media-video    net-print                 x11-themes
    app-crypt    dev-perl     net-analyzer   net-www                   x11-wm
    app-dicts    dev-python   net-dialup     portage-20040223.tar.bz2  xfce-base
    app-editors  dev-util     net-fs         sys-apps                  xfce-extra
    app-office   gnome-base   net-ftp        sys-devel
    app-shells   gnome-extra  net-im         sys-fs
    app-text     kde-base     net-irc        sys-libs
    app-xemacs   media-gfx    net-libs       x11-base
    root@server backup # exit
    XP1800+@2011 FSB 175
    Epox 8kha+
    samsung ddr 2700
    Gentoo w/ ltsp4
    Diskless client: