Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry I Am So Fed Up My W/ My Maxtor Drives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I have been having HDD problems for a while. the other day one of my sata drives died (so I lost everything) well I got my replacement today and decided to setup raid 0 once again well guess what!!??? my other drive I didnt RMA now is fubard the VIA SATA program says the drive has problems and is unreliable. now im pissed really pissed! now no array for me for another week waiting for my other drive to get rma'd im fed up my crappy maxtor drives!!!! didnt even last 6 months and they both took a dive!!! what kind of crap is that MAXTOR??? huh??? and why cant you support your own drives w/ your max blast program? I cant get a SATA device to show up on what ever board I try VIA NVidia etc..!!! I am tired of this thing!!!! </end vent>

Crap is becoming a little more standard than I'd prefer for ATA drives.

Maxtor and WD are about on par with their failure rates. My next drives will be a samsung spinpoint.

My one local computer store installed 93 different sized samsung drives in a local business and a few more to walk in customers and he said not a single one went bad. He has been using samsung for years and had a very minimal amount of failures.

BTW, samsung is the only manufacture left that has a 3 year warrenty on their entire product line.
    Main Beast: Alienware Style!!
    Antec SX-1040 w/400 Smartpower | Intel D865PERL | P4 3.0C Prescott | 1024MB Kingston PC2700 DDR & 400 Dual Channel | ATi X1650 PRO 512MB AGP | DUAL 74GB WD Raptors (RAID 0) | TDK indiDVD 420N DVD/CD Burner | Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical KB/MS | Zoom V.92 56K Modem | Samsung SyncMaster 932GW 19" Widescreen LCD 2ms Response | Vista Ultimate 32 bit | Will be replacing soon! |

Apple:
    Mac Mini (MC238LL/A) | Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz | 2GB | 160GB | OS X 10.6.2 / Vista Ultimate 32bit |

Laptop:
    Gateway 7405GX | AMD Athlon64 M 3700+ (Newark) | 2GB DDR | ATi 9600 Mobility Radeon | 100GB 7K100 Hitachi | 8x DVDRW/CDRW | 56k V.92 | 802.11g | 15.4" SB WXGA With "0" Dead Pixels! | XP Home SP3 / Vista Ultimate 32bit|

I'm with you on boycotting Maxtor; I recently had two where one of the IC chips on the hdd controller (on the drive itself) actually melted a hole through it! None of my other drives have done that.

I'm not too keen on WD either from past experience, but I chose the Raptors because of their 5 year warranty. I figure if one or both go bad close to 4-5 years, they won't have those in production anymore and they'll send a better model.

The Seagate I installed seems pretty good so far. Nice and quiet, but it's the long term that really tells...

It seems the higher capacity drives are the ones with issues. Maybe they are just cramming too much data on a smaller and smaller areas decreasing the tolerance for errors. I am curious when they start releasing those perpendicular magnetic particle drives (where the magnetic particles are arranged vertically instead of horizontally).

BTW: Seagate also has a 3 year warranty on some drives. Check out http://www.seagate.com/support/service/psg.html
    Gigabyte GA-8KVNXP
    A64 3200 1MB Cache "CG" stepping
    SLK-948U & SilenX 92mm fan
    1GB Centon PC3500 DDR (CAS 2.5)
    ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB (410/360) w/ VGA Silencer Rev2
    2 x 36GB WD SATA Raptor in RAID0
    IDE 200GB Seagate
    Stealth Lite-On DVD Burner
    Lian-Li PC-82 case with 80mm SilenX fans all around
    550w Fully Sleeved Antec True Power PS

maxtors suck balls and they run hotter then my cpu

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33751718

I'm boycotting ALL 1-year warranty drives.

Generally speaking, there's no difference between the one- and three-year warranty drives -- except the warranty.

What you're doing is paying more and getting a longer warranty, and, sometimes, more cache. That's it.

Originally posted by sechs on 04-11-2004 at 12:41 PM
    Generally speaking, there's no difference between the one- and three-year warranty drives -- except the warranty.

What you're doing is paying more and getting a longer warranty, and, sometimes, more cache. That's it.
    That's right, and it's a good reason. I think all the drives I've had that failed did so either right on or shortly after the one year period. Pretty close call between an in-warranty and out-of-warranty situation. Having a drive go bad out of warranty adds insult to injury since not only have you potentially lost data to a bad drive, you have to buy a whole new one. I'll pay a tad higher price for peace of mind anyday.
    Gigabyte GA-8KVNXP
    A64 3200 1MB Cache "CG" stepping
    SLK-948U & SilenX 92mm fan
    1GB Centon PC3500 DDR (CAS 2.5)
    ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB (410/360) w/ VGA Silencer Rev2
    2 x 36GB WD SATA Raptor in RAID0
    IDE 200GB Seagate
    Stealth Lite-On DVD Burner
    Lian-Li PC-82 case with 80mm SilenX fans all around
    550w Fully Sleeved Antec True Power PS

I have my RAID back up and running!!! now lets hope it lasts more than 6 months this time.

Originally posted by Compman55 on 04-10-2004 at 07:51 PM

BTW, samsung is the only manufacture left that has a 3 year warrenty on their entire product line.
    Not "ALL" have 3 year

They do make good drives though to be sure. I trust Seagate myself, and Samsung 2nd when it comes to hard drives and that's about it. The only reason I got these Raptors is because they don't really fit under the normal "WD" drive quality sandard (5yr).

@AMDMaddness best of luck with your drives, I hope they last a long time for you. Be sure to backup the RAID set this time though.
    I keed, I keed!

Originally posted by aLF_V[a]gabond on 04-14-2004 at 08:08 PM
    Not "ALL" have 3 year

They do make good drives though to be sure. I trust Seagate myself, and Samsung 2nd when it comes to hard drives and that's about it. The only reason I got these Raptors is because they don't really fit under the normal "WD" drive quality sandard (5yr).

@AMDMaddness best of luck with your drives, I hope they last a long time for you. Be sure to backup the RAID set this time though.
    Samsung's official warranty policy does not distinguish between OEM and retail that I can see. If there is a samsung oem stipulation, please post a link to it and we all learn from it.

Originally posted by BWM on 04-14-2004 at 09:01 PM
    Samsung's official warranty policy does not distinguish between OEM and retail that I can see. If there is a samsung oem stipulation, please post a link to it and we all learn from it.
    I did post a link... ?
    Maybe it's just newegg though *shrugs*.
    Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
    is what that page says. But maybe as I said that's only newegg. All their other drives on NE say 3 years. It's been like this for awhile though (al teast a month) because I checked last time it was stated that all Samsung drives have 3 year. Feel free to let me know if it is indeed a miss print and I'll take back what I said gladly.
    Just trying to help.
    I keed, I keed!

I suspect it is newegg's policy but I can be wrong about that. As I said in my stickey, vendor warranties may be different so let the buyer beware.

Red face

The solution that works is the four disks 120gig wd JB's- 0+1 and a good raid card,but that expensive. The cheaper route is raid 1 which only needs two disks and a on boad raid ,if you can find one that works. I love my raid ten with four 120gig drive and highpoint 454-it has been working perfect for months-and upgrading it with four 250gig drives for 500gigs of raid zero plus one. I recently tried on board sil 3114-it failed to work in 0+1-sending back those stupid converters sata too . With zero plus one when a disk blows just get another one and in the mean time the raid still works, good to have a spare disk in a box. I really hate losing info that could be worth more than the whole friggen computer

That could very well be the case. NewEgg is also known to miss print info some time to time as well. Regardless, Samsung is a good drive with a good warranty.
    Thanks BWM.
    I keed, I keed!