Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    yeah, i have two serial ata drives in raid 0 on mine, maxtors. I had some major headaches when i first got them, crash, etc. My roommates and I were just having a discussion on is serial ata really worth buying, since they are so new and are not as rock steady as the IDE's are. Personally if I had to do it again i'd get ide, i'm worried with all the problems that i have had that when i move my computer the hdd's will crap out on me again.

Red face

The fuuny thing sata drives cost more and don't really do that much except help the air flow a bit,but round cables are not that bad and they are cheap. I am not impressed at all with sata in its present form. I think sata is waste of dough. I just like to get big cheap ide drives and 0+1 them and that it no more worrys-my computer all ways boots- sil 3114 sata controller does not work. My highpoinp 454 raid card ide has proved extremely reliable and new egg has them for $81 or so and can run up to eight ide drives.

Originally posted by BWM on 04-14-2004 at 09:01 PM
    Samsung's official warranty policy does not distinguish between OEM and retail that I can see. If there is a samsung oem stipulation, please post a link to it and we all learn from it.
    To my knowledge, there *aren't* any retail Samsung drives.

Originally posted by sunofwolf on 04-14-2004 at 11:01 PM
    The fuuny thing sata drives cost more and don't really do that much except help the air flow a bit,but round cables are not that bad and they are cheap. I am not impressed at all with sata in its present form. I think sata is waste of dough. I just like to get big cheap ide drives and 0+1 them and that it no more worrys-my computer all ways boots- sil 3114 sata controller does not work. My highpoinp 454 raid card ide has proved extremely reliable and new egg has them for $81 or so and can run up to eight ide drives.
    I respectfully disagree. My Hitachi 7k250's are a lot faster than my ide drives. And they raid much better. Of course I was using SATA, not a converter. And the price difference? Negligible.

I am currently using two raptors on the 3114 and it performs great, you won't come anywhere near it with IDE. I have 4 7k250's in raid 5 and again performance is excellent. Ofcourse my controllers are not on the 32 bit/33MHz bus, which is a grand help. Putting the 3114 on a 32bit 33MHz bus is a crippling design, especially if its sharing that bus with all your other peripherals. My only beef with the 3114 was raid 10 writes being low.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Originally posted by sunofwolf on 04-14-2004 at 10:01 PM
    If you're thinking in terms of STR benchmark scores and huge capacity capabilities then yes, true, to some extent. Otherwise, I too sharply disagree that SATA is a waste (except poor choice of drives).
    Last edited by BWM; 04-15-2004 at 02:34 PM.

Red face

I am not saying sata is a bad thing,but I see ide drives cheaper that are the same thing really-no speed advantage and I heard about data getting screw up by sata and bad raid cards using sata-I am not sure they are true, but my experience with the on board sil controller 3114 using sata was very bad. Raid 0+1 did not work,raid zero seem to work,but after that I don't trust the controller at all When I think about it sense I already have a sata coverters and that sil controller-I just might hook up two 120gig drives to it at raid zero and in same box hook up my four 25o gig with my highpoint controller and see if the setup works?On the other hand why bother to much work I am feeding miss tiger steak she has big claws and is dangerous I guess, I am back to thing s that work,. I know my four wd 250 gig drives is all I need at raid zero plus one and all the gigs I need 500gigs is plenty for now,hooked up to my tested and bios updated highpoint 454 card whick works excellent-a raid zeo plus one built like a tank instead of a sprot car that might work and then again might fail
    Last edited by sunofwolf; 04-15-2004 at 05:41 PM.

Re: I Am So Fed Up My W/ My Maxtor Drives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well guess what???????? they failed again!! they started acting flaky, system running super slow, then boom one of them died so they are both off again... tired of these things when I get them back they are gonna be sold no more maxtor SATA's for me. oh and yes they have hard drive coolers on them and fans pointed right at them. My backup system w/ the 80gb WD seems faster then my main rig and its only a XP2500 compared to my A64 what gives maxtor????

Maxtor does seem to have fallen from favor the last couple of years. I gave up on them when a pair of D740X models crapped in late 2001.

AMDMaddness,

I guess we all have different experiences with HD companies!

I had a maxtor fail and I lost alot! I won't use them again but I might feel the same about something else if it failed.

Have you looked at the board? That's a lot of quick failures.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDMaddness
    well guess what???????? they failed again!! they started acting flaky, system running super slow, then boom one of them died so they are both off again... tired of these things when I get them back they are gonna be sold no more maxtor SATA's for me. oh and yes they have hard drive coolers on them and fans pointed right at them. My backup system w/ the 80gb WD seems faster then my main rig and its only a XP2500 compared to my A64 what gives maxtor????
    I think its time to start looking at what else might be causing these failures.

Do you by chance have extra case lights and fans on the same PSU lines feeding your drives? If yes then put them on a separate cable from the drives. If no, then consider swapping out the PSU.

Are you allowing sleep/standby/hibernate to occur, or power down the drives? If yes then try disabling that feature.

Are your HD cables bundled up with others? If yes then unbundle them and see how it goes.

Are you overclocking or using tight/agressive memory timings? Have you run memtest?

I have had 3-4 diff mobo's on these drives and PSU's I had some lights long ago on there own feed from my PSU. I have a coolmax 450W PSU more than enough to do what im doing. They are just flaky drives they run super hot and direct air coooling seems to be I think what made them last longer then 6 months like last time. I'm not much for OC'ing any more and if I did it was with a standard FSB etc. The SATA cables have been near/far and replaced.

Every Maxtor I've ever owned has died.

WD ships a fair number of bad drives too, but their RMA program is far superior. Just enter the drive's serial number, print the RMA sheet, and return. With Maxtor, you need to use their diagnostic software to retrieve an error code before they'll let you send it back. Can be a real pain-in-the-neck for those intermittent/heat-related failures.

Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache

Lightbulb Re: I Am So Fed Up My W/ My Maxtor Drives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like WD drives and returns are easy,if they fail.

Just got a 74 raptor.

I am in love with this drive if you can love an inanimate object.

Raptors are addictive