Motherboard Dilemna

Hey Guys, I'm sure your all tired of this question but I'm going to ask it anyways in hopes that someone can help me make a decision. I've been tryiing to choose between 3 mobo's for over a month now and it's time I quit thinking about it and pick one. I've gone back and forth so many times from things I've read here and there. It's between the Abit NF7-S V2.0, AN7 and the DFI Lan Party B. I spent many hours last night scouring this and other boards looking for direction but it seems like all 3 boards have about the same amount of fans. I was all set to go with the easy way out and just choose the NF7-S untill I read a review this morning pushing the AN7, saying that some of its earlier problems have been worked out. But there's something about the DFI that keeps it in the back of my mind. But something I've noticed on this board is several have spoke of "getting lucky" with the DFI. Are you guys saying that this board is famous for DOA's and/or alot of them are problematic but if your lucky and get a good one that it ROCKS? A friend of mine wants to do the same build that I'm doing and is trusting my choices, I'm than wondering if we buy 2 of these that are chances increase of one being bad. Here's my plan for the build. Gamers rig, I already have a mobile 2500+, and the memory is a gig (Twin 512 Corsair XMS 3200LLPT) Sapphire 9800 PRO 128mb. This will be a first attempt at overclocking so I plan to just get a nice stable 2500mhz speed hopefully and be happy with that. If just pushing it that far will I need to do any other mods to the board like north or southbridge cooling or will stock cooling be sufficient? Plan to get the SLK900 and a Vantec Tornado for the HSF. PSU probably be a Antec True 550 and thinking about the Lian Li PC65B. Thanks for any and all advice and sorry for the long post.

Toss a coin between NF7-s and Dfi Lanparty B, ignore the AN7, you cant really go wrong with those 2...

The NF7-s has a wonderful, extensive fan base, both in threads and bioses (official and modded) that can definitely help you. Typically the setup on these boards is problem-free and rather fast. However, don't expect any grand fsb overclocks out of these boards (ESPECIALLY the newer ones).

The DFI's are very new, and yes some of them can be DOA, but its still quite seldom. They are great boards (EXCELLENT FOR OVERCLOCKING FOR HIGH FSB) but they can be somewhat quirky. However, I have learned that a little patience and forum searching can solve most of your problems. The only two unsolved issues with this board are the cold boots (which i almost NEVER get) and the slightly lower sata write performance. I love my DFI board almost 100000x more than my NF7-s and have not regretted my purchase for a sec.

In a nutshell, if you want stability but limited oc's = NF7-S.

HIGH OC = DFI!
    Mobile 2600+ @ 11x240 = 2.65 ghz 1.825 volts
    DFI Lanparty NF II Ultra B Hellfire's HKA Rev. 2 6/19 bios with 1/21 romsip
    Thermalright SP-97; Vantec 92 MM
    Mushkin Black Level II PC 3500 2-2-2-11 5-6-4-3-3-5-6 3.2volts
    Sapphire 9800 Pro @ 425/378 VGA Silencer & BGA ramsinks
    OCZ Powerstream 520W
    Audigy2 ZS
    3D Mark 2001SE

DCN pretty much has hit it on the head.

The DFI is like a Ferrari, very fast at times but a little quirky and needs a little more attention. NF-7 is like the venerable Vette, maybe not as fast but rock-solid with a great history. DFI's do get better FSB and I really don't know why. I don't really like too many problems or down time, so I would probably try the NF-7, but if you like to experiment, DFI. Let us know what you decide!

My vote for the LanParty B (or Infinity ..which is just the same).

Is your SLK900, the A or U type? The U type would require a neo backplace if you choose the DFI board.

, Thanks alot for your input guys! Hmm, I feel the draw of the DFI growing stronger. Now when you guys say the board is kind of quirky at times do you mean during the early stages as you kind of get everything worked out as far as numbers go? Or stuff just out of the blue happens for no rhyme or reason. The reason I ask that is if I put one in my friends machine as well, he hasn't a clue on whats going on inside the system (I know what your thinking..blind leading the blind here but he will be relying on me with my limited knowledge and I wonder if I will be constantly over at his home trying to keep him running, or are these quirky phases something that I can work out in the "burn in phase" before I give him the system to begin with? I'm half tempted to get the DFI for myself and the Abit for him, but I know he really wants to have the same exact system as I end up with. *Drisler* Thanks for the heads up on the HS, would the SP-97 be a better choice? Also considering I just go for a nice stable 2500 mhz speed and the highest FSB I can achieve, will I need additional cooling on the North and South bridges? Thanks again for the help guys!

mostly the DFI has bit of problem when you are trying to figure out how much the board can do...the baord has WAY to many settings IMHO lol...i never knew that i could be in the bios for half an hour checking out all the settings... and if you mess one up it's tricky to find what's wrong...
    for your friend go with the NF7....you'll regret to put a DFI board into a computer with a user who doesn't know squat...it's for advanced users or users that are ready for some serious reading and trial and error...
    you might consider some kind of small 40mm fan on your Nb..it will cool it more then enough...also with VERY high FSB you might consider some cooling for mosfets and stuff like that...other then that the board will be good to go...
    MSI K8N Nforce 4 SLI
    Venice 3000+ @ stock
    RBX + BIX2 + MCP650
    2 x 512MB G.Skill F1 LE ( 2.5-2-2-5 @ 275 FSB )
    7950GT 512MB
    Tagan 480W Power supply
    big ass CM Stacker with lots of pretty lights ( pics soon! )

DFI

Originally posted by JohnJ.Rambo on 04-13-2004 at 07:14 PM
    *Drisler* Thanks for the heads up on the HS, would the SP-97 be a better choice?
    the 900U , 947U & SP-97 ...all would require the neo backplate to work with the DFI boards. And you'd want to read the installation guides in the DFI forum before attempting to install one of them. The SP97 would be the best choice/best performance, but for easy installation go with the 900-A.

I have to recommend the NF7S for a good stable easy overclockable board, forget the AN7..............however, if you are a very expierenced computer builder, and understand all of th bios settings and options, you will probably get a better overclock and performance with the DFi board, again, its still your money and your choice. There are lots of good people here to help you with your problems, should you have any.
    Golf is a good walk spoiled! ( Mark Twain )

Abit NF7-S rev2 Barton Mobile 2500+ IQZFA 0349RPMW 11 x 210 1.8 Vcore
    w SLK900A & 92mm, 56 cfm fan 32/42C
    2 x WD400JD--Gainward Ti4200 8x AGP
    Buffalo PC3700 Winbond BH5 2 x 256 11-2-2 at cas 2.0--2.8 V
    Lite-On CD-RW / 600 watt dual fan power supply
    Win XP Pro--SP1--nVidia 3.13--NEC 19" LCD

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 Barton Mobile 2600+
    AQYHA0346XPMW 11.5 x 220 = 2535.7 MHz 1.725 Vcore
    SLK900A with 92mm 56 CFM fan 34/42C
    Gainward FX5200 128 Mb DDR
    2 x 40 Gb Maxtor ATA 133 drives
    Twinmos PC3700 2 x 256 4.3ns chips 11-3-3 cas 2.0--2.9v
    650 watt dual fan power supply
    WinXP Pro, SP1, nVidia 3.13

Forget the AN7.

The DOA statistics on DFI NF2 failures are about 40% based on a thread over on the DFI forum of several weeks ago. Best I can tell is the the Abit DOA is about 50%. I have both and I've had 3 DFIs and 7 Abit and my statistics (limited numbers of course) agree with the info I have for large numbers of boards quoted above. I would call that pretty much of a toss up.

My experience is the DFIs are harder to dial-in as far as a max OC goes. You can get to a reasonable OC on the Abit but you need mods to reach a max OC. I would again call that pretty much of a toss up. My benchmarks say you need about a 5% higher FSB OC on the DFI boards (about 10Mhz around a 200Mhz FSB of course) to be equal the performance of the Abit at a lower FSB.

The deciding factor might be how comfortable you are with hardware mods for the Abit if you want a max OC. I believe Abit and DFI are the two best NF2 boards you can get.
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro , Intel i7 2600K @4.7Ghz using 1.38V
    -- GSkill DDR3 2133 (2*2Gb) 9-10-10-28
    -- Iwaki MD-20RLZT -> EK Sup. Univ. -> Chiller -> Resev
    -- EVGA GTX570, SB Audigy2ZS + Klipsch Promedia 4.1
    -- 120G Intel 510, 120G RST RAID 0, Areca RAID 5, 4 80G SATAII HDDs
    -- PC P&C Silencer 750 QUAD in Lian-Li PC-V1200
    -- Win7 64-bit, Ubuntu 64-bit
    ASUS Rampage II Extreme @180Mhz, Intel i7 920 D0 @3.6Ghz using 1.3V, Thermalright 120
    -- G.Skill DDR3 1600 (3*2Gb) 8-8-8-21, Win7 64-bit
    -- Lian-Li PC-V1200

Great info, thanks everyone! Ok, I've forgotten about putting a DFI in my friends system. That would be a nightmare if I started spending my weekends at his home trying to figure out his potential problems. So I start wondering if the DFI is over my head for my system, I do like to tinker with things and experiment but hope I dont bite of more than I can chew. I've built several systems over the last few years (I'd say around 15) but have never ventured into the land of overclocking and modding. Recently software hacked a few Tivo's for fun and dropped in a few larger hard drives but that was pretty simple actually. So I got to thinking and was almost going to take the easy way out and go with 2 NF7-S when I came upon another thread, I swear the more I read these boards the more I can't make up my mind. The thread was talking about old NF7-S V2.0 vs new NF7-S V2.0 and how some are saying the new ones aren't as good as the old ones. Now I didnt like the sound of that at all and now I'm figuring I have to go DFI if I want something that has a shot at being good, since If I order from newegg tonight I will get one of these new V2.0 which according to some are not on par with an earlier release. The dilemna continues...

Well JohnJ. I have the same choice to make tomorrow because the order is going to be placed in the morning. I have been having the same issue for the past 3 months.

1) I am going to go with the DFI board, why because there is a better chance to get a high overclock without mods compared to the NF7-S. If you think about it overclocking is all luck anyways...from vid cards, to RAM, to mobo, to CPU.

2) The red just matches my raddy 9700pro

3) Almost everyone has a NF7-S, I like to be different and not follow the norm

4) The DFI board has very good support (come on, they got someone that works at DFI)

So I hope that helps out in your dilema, good luck!!

• |Desktop - Scorpious| Mobo: DFI nForce2 "Ultra Infinity" CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @ 3200+ Barton RAM: 2x256 & 1x512 PC3200 Buffalo Technology CH-5 @ 11-2-2-2.0 Vid: Sapphire ATI r9700pro @ 360/320
    • |Laptop - Prostar 3722| Display: 15.4" WSXGA+ CPU: 1.7 GHz Dothan 2MB L2 Cache RAM: 1024MB PC2700 DDR Vid: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128M

Good choice.
    For someone else's system, the NF7's a better bet for peace of mind.
    But for your own system, who wants peace when you can get the HOT action of a DFI sister ?
    - DFI Infinity NF2, XP-M 2400+
    - 10 x 225 MHz - CL2.5
    - ATI Radeon x-1950-Pro 512-MB
    - 1024-MB Hynix PC-3200 x 2
    I overclock, therefore I am

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I finally bought the new board. I did get the Abit NF7-S for my friends system, but I took the plunge and bought the DFI for myself. I'm actually really excited about learning something new. I feel very lucky to have stumbled across this board a few days ago. With all the knowledge that frequents this site I feel alot more comfortable with my decision. Thanks again!